Does Voyager end up in its original universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Melakon, Apr 14, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I missed that you were going to acquire the target Melakon. Sorry. I just get frustrated when people talk about being unable to see things that are perfectly seeable. And for the record I own all of Star Trek in hardcopy (and all of Bab5, Stargate's 3 series, Farscape, Buffy..).

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't foresee being able to afford a complete series collection of any of the 7-season shows any time soon, so I may just have to build them a season at a time. I have the final season of DS9, but only a few scattered episodes of TNG through Fan Collectives. Enterprise and TOS are now the only ones I have complete.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

20 years ago, I used to have this 30th anniversary magazine. It had a list of every thing that had aired. I had an X next to the episodes I was sure that I had seen, and a "oh" next to the ones I had recorded off TV, and a square next to the ones I have bought a VHS tape of.

I liked being that stupid. :)

4. teacake

When I was a teenager I was watching TOS reruns and I cut all the episode synopses out of the tv guide and pasted them in a little notebook in order. I would then put a tick next to each episode every time I saw it. I still remember that City on the Edge of Forever won by a mile.. the episodes were shown at random but the great ones were shown a lot more than the crappy ones leading me to believe that someone actually chose them.

(I feel my inner trekkie prodding me about TOS.. "there are no crappy ones")

5. Melakon

I'm about to watch "The Way to Eden", just to see Skip as Dr. Sevrin again. It's another one I haven't seen in 20 years. I'll have to get in the right frame of mind for those songs though. If you know what I mean.

6. teacake

You won't get a clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy if you're not careful there Melakon.

7. Melakon

McCoy's a Herbert.

8. teacake

OH totes.

And speaking of old tv I have to say this here because I have no where else to say it wah, but Xander is such a douche, I am just overwhelmed by his doucheyness, it was just so bad for moment there that I typed "Xander is a douche" into google and there was a lot of hits a LOT of hits. I'm in season 6 don't spoil me. Okay back to the doucheyness, without Melakon's medicinals but I do have stout.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I want to give my opinion to the thread title but I feel like any way I put it, would be a spoiler one way or another.

It's possible the original ship never got back at all and only Kim and Naomi do.

10. Melakon

That's the tricky part about that episode, we don't know which is really ours.

And "Way to Eden" is really a much better role than Melakon was for Homeier, as he has more to do and is important to the plot*. And he had a wonderful voice for television back then. I just wish I liked the story better.

* = and it's not another Nazi typecasting job

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Actually, the beginning of "Endgame" where the crew returned to Earth after 18 or so years was the correct universe. But Admiral Janeway decided to change history because her bitchy ass didn't like the fact that Chuckles and 7 of 9 were dead.

12. Melakon

I'm not always sure that every first scene in an episode is taking place in "our" universe, especially in parallel universe stories. I can sort of accept it with TOS, TNG, and DS9, but not always with Voyager. And with ENT, I'm still not certain it's set in Kirk's universe. But these are just my interpretations.

13. Guy Gardener

You didn't like "Glorified Bricklayer picks up a spare" in season 5?

He gets much cooler with the Eyepatch.

14. teacake

I genuinely like his relationship with Anya which I think is touching and makes plenty of sense.

I liked him in Season one, and then I loathed and was irritated by him for a few seasons and then he redeemed himself via Anya and now he's back to being a Big Idiotic Putz.

As yet there is no eyepatch unless that is a cute nickname for Anya LOL.

This bullshit about not wanting to tell someone he is engaged, MY GOD he is a wanky child.

AND NOW FOR STAR TREK CONTENT:

Sometimes he reminds me of Chakotay. Or rather, if they had decided YES we will write Chak stories, Chak stories all round! He would have come across like Xander. In both cases there is acting deficiency and not knowing what to do with him.

15. Guy Gardener

Porthos was mentioned in the 2009 Kirk era movie, and have you see the final episode yet?

I really liked Observer Effect, that one with the Organians, not that it really solidified whether we were heading into the pilot from 1966 or nay.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  16. Melakon

I've watched TATV only once so far. That was enough, until I have to do it again for a review. I know I'm behind on my reviews, but until personal crap with dead computers and such get settled, I don't feel much like picking it up again yet.

With the frequent use of acronyms for titles, it sure is good they never did an episode called "They Were All That".

17. teacake

^Maybe some of the fanbase would like that as a name for Resolutions.

18. Guy Gardener

Half the time I write "These are the Voyages", and the other half I write "These were the Voyages".

Meh.

Melakon, do you have a position on Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

19. Melakon

I saw the original theatrical film and didn't like it. Because of it, I stayed away from the series. When it comes to sci-fi, horror, fantasy, I'm not really keen on comedy, preferring the genre be played straight. There are occasional exceptions, like Sleeper or Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Fantasy usually only works for me if Harryhausen's name is on it.

20. Guy Gardener

Buffy is something from the past.

I don't have to recommend it to people because they should already know that their lives are incomplete for the lack of Buffy in it.

I respect your choice, and one day you'll accidentally marathon half a season because you can't be bothered getting up from the sofa or find the remote, and hate yourself for taking so long.

;)