Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2013.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If these movies are going to focus around Kirk & Co. then the logical choice arethe Klingons. They were the major foil to the original crew, especially Kirk. I would hope to see Kor or Kang, or Koloth & the coming war with the Federation, then maybe an early attempt at peace. Spock Prime could lead that effort.

The other idea would be Q only because some have speculated Trelane was a member of the Continuum.

2. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You guys are really trying to open a Khan of worms aren't you. These little attempts at humor Borgs me to death. :devil:

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    You lose, CaptainDonovin. You used "Khan" for the same word as someone before you.

Do you want the consolation prize ? ;)

4. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Fixed it for you. :p

5. Seska

Seska Lieutenant Red Shirt

From time to time, I have watched Voyager with a J/7 twist, and not only does it make a lot of sense, but it makes the voyage so much more enjoyable and hilarious. I've also watched TOS from both perspectives when it comes to lady captains, and I think both views favoring and disfavoring the notion are legit.

Since I was a kid and first saw Turnabout Intruder, it was crystal clear to me from tone, expression and mannerisms in addition to the words said that the Kirk-era world of starship captains literally did not admit women. That was until sometime before Saratoga’s captain in 1986. As nutty as she was, I always doubted Janice studied “every single detail of the ship’s operation” for years merely to punish and torture Kirk. I don’t think it’s a leap to think she also really wanted to become a captain, and punishing and torturing Kirk was the best and most gratifying way to accomplish her whack-job objective.

If you take Janice’s statement quoted upthread literally and contextually, couple it with Cdre. Stone’s remark about not “not one man in a million” could command a starship and all the other exclusively male references to captains, and Kirk’s statement as man in woman’s body at the trial referring to Janice’s lack of “temperament”, and Janice considering command of a starship to be her “just due”, etc., it’s not unreasonable to conclude that 60s-era captains were all male, and Majel’s Number One had hit the glass ceiling.

You can also try real hard to pretend they had all sorts of lady captains back then, but whenever I’ve tried to watch TOS that way, it feels saccharine. I’ve seen the show too many times to know it ain’t so.

And, yeah, I missed checking for all the rank insignias of the extras when I’ve watched STID, but I’m going to bring my opera glasses next time instead of the 3D ones. There’s a good chance those ladies were blown to pieces in the attack, so not even sure they should be counted.

I’m with everyone in this thread who believes the Trek should be about diversity, a concept which is hopefully reflected with greater clarity in the next motion picture. A lady captain would be nice. A sane Capt. Janice Lester would be even niceeeer. I highly suspect she just needs a little lovin.

From the Delta Quadrant with Love,
    Seska

6. Belz...

Ah, dammit ! What a missed opportunity !

7. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Damon Lindelof has given an interview about the next movie, and he's being very uncharacteristically direct for Abrams & Company. He says, straight up, that they have a plan for the next movie and that it involves the Klingons. He also says that they would be "incredibly stupid" not to use Benedict Cumberbatch again. So I think it's fair to say at this point that the current plan is to see both Khan and the Klingons in the next film.

Lindelof also goes on to say that two of his favorite adversaries from the Trek universe are Q and the Borg and that he would like to see them. But he says that's farther down the line, "towards the end of our run on Star Trek." That statement, to me, implies two things: First, he sees their run on Trek extending beyond the three films and, second, that after they do the Klingons, they're likely to do Q and/or the Borg.

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2013/06/lindelof-star-trek-xiii-hints/

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Holy crap who would be a good Q? Delancie is charismatic but does he have big screen chops?

And the Borg Queen?

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No doubt too unoriginal, but the Borg could always assimilate Alice Eve into Locutus 2.0.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure they would recast Q, easy to do as he can change forms.

11. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can just see it.

"I am Locutie of Borg. We will add your underwear distinctiveness to our collective."

12. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Borgs are cool. Klingons are cool. But, how about something entirely new? I want a villain never seen, a villain nonhuman, threatening, something like V'Ger. Not V´Ger, of course.

But if they want to copy the Doomsday Machine would be very interesting,

13. Belz...

He's also probably immune to the changes in the timeline, which could make for some interesting conversation.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

"Jimmy! You have hair!" :eek:

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

James Callis as Trelane would be nice.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Like the actor, not seeing it though...

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Johnny Depp as Q/Trelane?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I really don't want a star that's big enough to require script approval.

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I dunno, Star Trek could use some A-listers, couldn't it? Maybe they'd have to find one who is more enthusiastic about Trek, like Tom Hanks (although is he considered A-list anymore?). I don't know how Johnny Depp feels about it, but he would be pretty awesome to see in any role.

20. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Omigod, yes, please. (I mean, I agree with BillJ that the writers should be the ones making the scripts, but assuming that can be addressed, omigod, yes.)