Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well that depends whether it's a family drama or not really, it's only described as a drama on the BBC press release and all they've said is that it'll air in 2014. It has a pretty heavyweight cast and for all we know it might be headed for the Call the Midwife early slot on a Sunday or the Sunday 9pm slot ala Sherlock/Ripper Street etc.

Not to say it won't air on a Saturday, but with Atlantis the BBC were upfront that this was Saturday evening show. They're being cagier with this.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the offical Blurb talks about it in much the same terms that Robin Hood/Merlin/DW got talked about.

"The series bursts with escapism, adventure and romance and is set to thrill audiences with cracking stories of the week."

Not very post-watershed sounding.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

No it doesn't sound like Ripper Street...

4. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

"Cancelation by constant pushing back to later in the year", anyone? Just to play devils advocate.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Nah if the BBC wanted to cancel it I'm pretty sure they'd just cancel it, anc cancelling in in it's 50th anniversary year? I can't see that.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see it being cancelled, but I do wonder if BBC1 are no longer building it in as a tentpole of the schedule, which could end up with them dropping seasons altogether in favour of four or five specials to run at bank holidays as convenient.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, the Jonathan Creek scenario!

I hope not, obviously it would be preferable to them cancelling the show, but I didn't like the Specials year, I'd rather take 5/6 episodes ala series 7a to strung out specials.

8. StCoop

While they have confirmed that there will be a Series 8 next year, I have just realised that they haven't said how many episodes it will be. (I'm not going back to check them all but they did confirm 14 episodes for Series 7.)

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's possible and it may make sense in the short term, but I'm not sure how viable it would be over the long term from a production standpoint. The Writer's Tale indicates that RTD and Gardner had difficulty getting money for the Specials Year, partly because foreign broadcasters weren't interested in it.

If the coproduction or outsourcing rumors are true, it's possible that the BBC itself doesn't know yet because they're still negotiating the deal and don't know what their production partners are in for and want.

If the BBC America coproduction rumors are true, I'd expect a run in the Copper or Ripper Street model -- eight to ten episodes broadcast in a single block.

10. StCoop

After hearing they were co-producing AAIS&T I'd have thought a BBC America deal was likely but they also seem to be throwing money around on lots of different projects at the moment and they can't have that an unlimited amount in the budget.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think coproducing Doctor Who is something BBC America would want to do. At the same time, you're right -- their budget isn't bottomless. I doubt they have seven or eight million dollars sitting free in the bank, plus they're on the hook for the programming they've already committed to (like the second season of Copper) or been committed to (like the second season of Ripper Street). I do think they could pull the money together, but that wouldn't happen overnight.

Also, I think that BBC America would want to be more than just BBC Wales' purse. Cardiff would probably prefer to take the money and run, but I can't see New York tolerating that if they're buying in in a significant way; they don't like the short, split seasons, and the nonsense over the broadcast date last year rankled. If there's a negotiation going on, that's going to be a sticking point.

Finally, I think now would be too early for BBC America to announce a coproduction agreement on series 8 anyway. They would want to wait until after the ratings were in on the 7B premiere so they could say that the show has been successful for them and now they're buying in. In other words, think back to the way the series 2 announcement was made in 2005 (setting aside all the concomitant Eccleston stuff); the ratings were in on "Rose," and the BBC trumpeted that to say that they had commissioned a second series. If Doctor Who becomes a BBC America coproduction, that would be the time to look for an announcement, the first week of April.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tha would be a problem.
    I was thinking of it from the point of view of Danny Cohen, or whoever the BBC1 Controller happens to be.
    What he wants is simple: three family drama series which he can schedule for 7/7.30pm from January, Easter and September, knowing they'll pull in a reliable five to eight million to hand over to whatever talent show he's running next, leading into the lottery and Casualty. Doctor Who, Merlin/Atlantis and something else would do just fine.
    But with the Who delivery dates becoming so erratic, he's not getting that. The sensible thing for him to do then would be to go for Merlin/Atlantis, something else, and another something else, and just slot in Who specials at Christmas, Easter, May Day and the autumn season launch to provide an extra 'ooomph' to that night, as suits him.
    Ultimately, the customer is always right. And he's the customer... or maybe the retailer would be the right word, with BBC Wales as the wholesaler, and us as the customers.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I could live with that (preferably 10)

I believe BBC America are part funding the Three Musketeers as well...

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

I just noticed, they didn't do one series over two years exactly, but instead moved to the inevitable 8 episode budgeting last year already, taking the anniversary episodes from last year's budget:

8+Xmas - 60min - 90min = 5+Xmas
    It's not perfectly exact but it's very close.

Of course it's the same to us, but from BBC's point of view it's probably like that.

15. StCoop

JLC confirmed on the radio today that Matt Smith will be away for four months shooting his film and it will actually now be September before they start shooting the Xmas Special.

So that means it will be October before they start shooting Series 8 and there's no way they could have the complete series ready to air in Spring next year.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

On the plus side this suggests no regeneration/12th Doctor in November!

17. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has it been announced if the Christmas episode will be a stand alone episode or not? Could they possibly make the 60 minute special in November and the Christmas episode a two part episode like The End of Time?

18. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Since they're not starting shooting until September, I doubt they'd be able to finish post-production on a two-part special in time for Christmas broadcast. Unless there aren't going to be any episodes of series 8 in the spring, in which case they might be able to pull it off.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Kaijufan was proposing adding a New Year's Day special like for Tennant; instead, he/she was suggesting that maybe the two episodes we knew about (the Anniversary Special that's shot/shooting already, and the Christmas special they'll be filming in September) might be themselves a two-parter.

20. StCoop

The problem then is you're asking people to pay money to go to the cinema to get half a story.