Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Civ001, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, frankly I found Picard rather OOC that whole movie even though I was entertained. That line really made no sense as the Borg had clearly NOT assimilated whole Federation worlds or forced them to fall back by the time of FC.

Unless he was talking about all worlds they'd attacked and the "we" simply referred to ALL their victims.

2. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Clearly? :wtf:

That line is the entirety of the information we have on the subject of whether or not they had done so. And it says they did. So, clearly, they did.

And don't think I didn't notice that you dodged my other answer. In Way of the Warrior, the Defiant finds victims and passes by them because it would be too risky to try to help; in other words, they "decided to leave them to their fates because they were scared".

That clearly matches what you asked for.

It's one of several examples where the heroes either fail to help someone, or decide helping would be too risky.

3. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my post, I said "Even if there aren't any...", in reference to Anwar's demand for examples from TOS, TNG, and DS9 of the characters trying and failing to save others, or deciding not to try/being unable to try in the first place. Clearly, there ARE several examples, as has been made clear in the posts that have come since. Including this one!
    :guffaw: Brilliant shot, zar. And I'm not sure how I didn't think of that either... haha.

Just a couple little things:
    Uh... why? That's be pointless, and futile. The Ent-D engaging three Borg cubes would be suicidal, and would accomplish absolutely nothing. The Ent-D crew would know this and thus wouldn't attack. Now, they might try something ELSE (get reinforcements, try and create a diversion, etc.) rather than just leave the people to their fate, but they wouldn't just attack. Neither would (or should) Voyager, in that situation, and there's no reason they couldn't have done one of those other things to try and help.
    :rofl:

I find it massively ironic that - to back up your point that the Borg WOULD either win 100% and assimilate/kill everyone they were attacking, OR lose 100% and be stopped completely - you quote GUINAN. From "Q Who?" A member of a race who was attacked in FULL FORCE by the Borg... yet she survived. A BUNCH of them survived. So, the Borg won, they destroyed El-Auria... yet a number of them survived. Proving my point; there ALREADY EXISTS precedent within the filmed canon for a Borg incident that ends with neither a complete victory for the Borg (assimilate or destroy everything, no survivors) and the Borg being stopped and completely unable to reach their goal (little or no damage to their main target).

That said!

I've been down this road before, and we are - as always happens - back where we started to some degree, with Anwar claiming the vitriol of the Hatedome (even though it doesn't exist) as the reason for his assertions, and claiming that everyone hated what "Scorpion" did to the Borg (despite the fact that everyone loved it), tossing around opinions or suppositions carelessly as if they were facts, refusing to deal in anything but extremes, completely ignoring half of what we say when replying (STILL waiting for you to show a source proving that "Scorpion" was widely panned!) etc. It's like the previous conversations didn't even happen. That's why I only responded to those two specific points about the Borg in this post, and not anything else, because "anything else" consists of stuff I've ALREADY responded to, quite thoroughly, in other threads long past. It's bizarre, yet it's still been entertaining for some reason... to a point. I may or may not bother posting after this in response to Anwar, we'll see.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Picard said that FC was what he had feared for 6 years, a Borg invasion. Meaning that nothing happened with the Collective in those 6 years. 6 years prior was BOBW and there was no "falling back as they assimilate worlds" stuff.

Picard was speaking in the abstract about what the Borg do to everyone, and the "we fall back" thing referred to what all life in the Galaxy has done. It really makes no sense taken any other way.

Risky to their actual mission, which was to save the Detapa Council. If they had scanned for potential survivors, then those guys and Dukat would definitely be dead.

So it was a choice between folks who were definitely going to die without them, or guys who may not even be there. It's not the same as abandoning clearly endangered folks because you were too spineless to think about helping them.

It'd still be more than just running away, which is what zar thinks would be adequate for VOY.

She and those others survived because they weren't there when it happened, there were never targeted by the Borg to begin with.

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

That and also the notion of giving the Borg personalities and individuality by establishing Locutus, and later the Borg Queen. The Borg were most effective when they were these nameless drones acting with a hive mentality. Once you reveal that they're acting under orders from someone, and that there is individuality present, you do kneecap them a bit. When we learned that Seven was part of a "team" or "family" that weakened things even more. The Daleks in Doctor Who were never the same after Davros was introduced, and the creation of the Cult of Skaro further weakened aspects of them as a race to be feared.

Had the Borg remained the way they were depicted in early TNG - faceless, no individuality, acting as a hive - the introduction of a Borg regaining her humanity as Seven did would have been much more powerful (especially if they'd kept it so that she was the only one as well - remembering the later Voyager episode in which several others were freed from the Borg).

Alex

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Also, BOBW introduced the idea of assimilation. Before that we were led to believe that the Borg were one species that had willingly chosen to become a cybernetic Hivemind, and that they were truly united in their goals.

Then we found out they actually turned survivors of their attacks into other Borg who were unwillingly forced to serve them, and we're left wondering why (if so many are unwilling) this doesn't affect the Hive Mind's strength and ability to operate.

An interesting way to examine this would be to have every single Borg ship be its own Collective mind unto itself, with the peoples assimilated into each one creating a different "personality" for each vessel. Some, composed of peaceful folk put into the Hive Mind, would end up becoming benign pacifistic beings.

This would keep the Borg as powerful, but make it clear that not all Borg are destructive zombie creatures and that assimilation can be harmful as well.

Maybe the only truly destructive Borg would be the ones who are of the original Borg species that willingly became Borg and stayed mostly "Pure" over the centuries while the Borg ships that assimilated too many non-violent people lost that destructive aspect via dilution.

7. zar

"They invade our space and we fall back."

On the contrary, it makes no sense to assume he was speaking in the abstract. The whole outbreak would be bizarre if he was talking about abstract possibilities happening in parts of the galaxy that he has no connection to or awareness of what's going on.

The problem, once again, is your failure to interpret it in anything but extremes: either they're leaving the Federation completely alone, or they're sending a cube into the heart of Federation territory. As always, there is a middle ground: The Borg could have been attacking planets at the borders of Federation space, while the Federation repeatedly abandoned and retreated from those borders. He might also be referring to the trail of destruction that happened in BOBW prior to the standoff at Wolf 359.

Yes! Exactly! Congratulations, you just described a scenario that wasn't an extreme! They weren't just spineless cowards, they were keeping priorities. Now, see if you can stretch that imagination and picture a similar scenario that could have happened in VOY, and you see our point.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If that had happened, he wouldn't have said that "The moment I have been dreading for 6 years is upon us: The Borg have begun an invasion of the Federation." Because attacking the borders and pushing said borders back would very much be an invasion even if it didn't penetrate further in.

A choice of certain death over probable death?

Yes, they had a more important mission to accomplish that involved saving more lives than their side-stop would have.

Abandoning a world to the Borg to save their own skins? Less then 200 people over millions or billions?

VOY has no mission in the DQ over "go home", no greater purpose. Nothing that could ever justify abandoning a world to the Borg aside from "We can't do anything" or "we're too scared".

Suppose Sisko and co ran into a world being invaded by the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant, they see it being bombarded and receive a distress call from them begging for help. Sisko says that they can't possibly affect the outcome, and orders them out of there. The Defiant flies off as the world burns behind them.

What would you think of him from that point on?

Also, notice you ignored my own suggestions on how to flesh out the Borg without depowering them and still be able to use them a lot.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. zar

If trying to help would be useless suicide, then it's not a choice between a million deaths versus 200 deaths. It would be a million versus a million and 200.

According to you, Commodore Decker would be the model Starfleet officer.

By that argument, they shouldn't give a shit about the world in question in the first place. It's not part of their mission.

If you grant that they can consider trying to help strangers on an unknown world, then you must also grant that they care about other "greater purposes" in the DQ as well.

You're also conveniently ignoring the second possibility (in bold):
    And there are also several examples of the heroes failing to help even though they did try. Which didn't make them incompetent fools, it just meant they were in over their heads.

10. zar

So? That was a departure from the "incompetent spineless cowards" conversation thread that you, me, Saito S and RyuRoots are currently engaged in.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Seeing how he repented, and managed to give them the data they needed to stop the Doomsday Machine when he sacrificed himself I would consider him heroic.

No it isn't, but they do care anyways because they aren't a bunch of douchebags.

Still no-win though, either they care and they run away because they're scared or they DON'T care and run away because they're too scared. It's equally bad for them to run away from an ally they know as it is for them to run away from folks they don't know but see as clearly in danger.

Which still works against them since now it's their friends that they abandon out of cowardice as opposed to total strangers (though abandoning strangers to death because you were too scared is still bad).

Examples? Most of the time when that plot is used they end up with some kind of success that validates the story and their efforts. The "Borg attack a world and win" doesn't leave room for any real success on VOY's end.

12. zar

Sisko abandoned victims to save his own skin, but you gave him a pass based on the fact that he had a more important mission which getting himself killed would have made impossible.

Then you said a similar scenario would never be possible on VOY because Voyager can't possibly have another more important mission because they don't care about anything other than getting home.

Now you say they do care because they're not a bunch of douchebags.

Make up your mind.

If they do care, they could find themselves in a position comparable to the Defiant's.

(And of course none of this changes the fact that the desire to stay alive alone IS still a perfectly valid reason NOT to dive headfirst into a hopeless battle, even if there ISN'T a third party depending on your continued survival.)

That's exactly what happened in BOBW. The Borg attacked a world and won. Obviously, showing a defeat doesn't preclude an eventual happy ending.

Now I'm pretty sure I know where this is heading, so I'll save you the trouble: You're about to abandon your original claims (essentially, admitting defeat) and fall back on your old spiel about haters. Something like "It's still no-win because the audience would hate Voyager having ANY kind of victory over the Borg."

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Up until "The Wounded" the Federation was "clearly" not at war with the Cardassians. Up until "Star Trek Nemesis", the Romulans "clearly" didn't have a slave race called the Remans. Up until "Broken Bow" there was "clearly" not a Starship Enterprise prior to Kirk's.

Just because something's not been mentioned, or the centre of a episode, doesn't mean it didn't happen. In that scene Picard was telling Lily and the viewers that the Borg were slowly eating into their territory.

Also remember that there was a whole year between GENS and FC.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But Picard said at the start of the film that this was the first Borg Invasion in 6 years, with BOBW clearly being what happened 6 years earlier.

You also never replied to MY earlier post, about what you'd think if Sisko and co saw a world under assault from the Dominion and just ran off.

They attacked a defenseless world that the ENT-D never got a chance to defend because they weren't there in the first place. Bit of a difference from actually seeing said world under attack and deciding to abandon them to their fate.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between invading the heart of the Federation and taking a few border worlds.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But when something like that DID happen, the "Descent" attacks, the Feds still went on full alert to deal with it. I'm sure even border attacks would have been mentioned in the script and not glossed over.

17. zar

Read between the lines. These comments should have told you what I would think of that:

Fine, whatever. The point is, for the umpteenth time, the same thing could have happened on VOY. Your claim was that it couldn't have.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

No, I'm saying that if it DID happen it would just make the fandom hate the VOY crew more than they already do because now they'd see just how incompetent and spineless they were compared to Picard and co.

19. zar

Doing the exact same thing as Picard and co. would make them incompetent compared to Picard and co.?

Another ridiculous claim made by you alone. Thanks for proving once again that you are the "fandom hate".

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Picard and co stopped the Borg from destroying the Federation, whereas VOY would only be able to fail saving anyone or abandon others in fear of the Borg otherwise the Borg are "emasculated".