(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Surely this squad is just designed purely to make sure no one has any expectations of anything even remotely resembling success?

Speaking of something remotely resembling success, Carling Cup winner and 8th place achiever 'King' Kenny Dalgleish has been sacked by Liverpool. So, who's going there then? AVB? McLeish to finish the job?

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah poor King Kenny(not)...always overrated really, I remember Newcastle being so dull under him.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be amazed if England didn't finish bottom in that group.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Love this mock photo

[​IMG]

Who wants to bet THE SUN prints it as real news tommorow despite the Twitter account saying its a parody.

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah but he made a great job of fooking Celtic over - first recommending John Barnes, and then when he failed miserably, KK took over himself to finish the job of handing Rangers another title! :techman:

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he won things with Liverpool and Blackburn but at Liverpool he inherited a great side and arguably made it a lot weaker, and at Blackburn he had an open chequebook.

7. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Woah, hang on a second. The '88 team Kenny built was arguably one of Liverpool's greatest teams, he hardly made them weaker. In fact it was his departure that started the 20 year rot which has left the club unable to challenge the likes of United any more. He won 3 titles as Liverpool manager, you can't be a bad manager to win the league title. But that was 20 years ago, football has moved on and Dalglish had struggled to adapt.
    He did great as temp manager last season but becoming a permanent manager was always going to be a whole different challenge.

8. Shazam!

I think he was talking about the recent Liverpool side, not the 80s

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I was talking about the latter stages of Kenny's first tenure to be honest. Yes he won titles but I just recall his last season and a series of increasingly odd decisions (David Speedie? Ronny Rosenthal?) followed by a mysterious departure.

10. Angel4576

I think KK's time at Liverpool the first time around started off great, and was great for some time, but ultimately the pressure of the job and the expectation that came with it, took it's toll both on him personally, and by extension results on the pitch.

I would tend to agree that the team of '88 was one of the strongest English sides that I've ever seen. I'm also fairly sure that but for the Heysel ban then Liverpool would have added at least another couple of European Cups during that time as well.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So I see Leicester City are deciding to be more sensible with their money this season...by spending up to £1.7 million on a 25 year old non-league striker! :lol:

12. Angel4576

Well they'd best hurry up, seeing as Championship clubs have agreed to adopt the FFP rules. They're not going to get away with this $h1t for much longer.....

13. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Cardiff also bid £1m for him. I'm slightly relieved Leicester were there to turn his head with undoubtedly better terms and bigger wages than we could offer. £1m for a one-season wonder from the Conference!? He might well be brilliant but really!?

Football will eat itself sooner rather than later at this rate!

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Chelsea are the motherfucking luckiest motherfuckers in the history of the sport.

But hats off, I sincerely enjoyed the pictures of the devastated Bayern players and fans. :D

15. Angel4576

Felt sorry for Munich, they were the better side for most of that game.

But, congratulations to Chelsea, they just will not die!

Roberto Di Matteo - how can they NOT give him the job now!?!?!?!?!?

16. Shazam!

1999 and this. Bayern must go down as the greatest Champions League bottlers of all time.

John Terry running around in his kit as though he scored a last minute winner >: (

17. Angel4576

Chelsea win a penalty shootout against a German team, in a German stadium, full of German fans. LOFL. :lol:

18. Angel4576

Seriously, how the fook has Mario Gomez got 40 goals this season?

Bayern must have THE greatest midfield in world football. How many chances did they create for him during the season? 10,000?

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Honestly if that's all Di Matteo is capable of then i feel sorry for Chelsea.. they didn't deserve that win much like Otto Rehagel didn't deserve to win the European championship with Greece by using the same tactics (and later one didn't win anything of note).

I'm no fan of Bayern München at all.. i think their business leaders (not the players) are arrogant as hell.. openly trolling others when they are on a good standing during the season and reacting like spoiled children when they fuck up their games.

However in this case i really wished them to win.. it is history to win this prestigious finale in your own city, in your own stadium but fate decided otherwise. They were the better team throughout the entire game unlike last week where they played a german football association final and lost deservedly 5:2 while players from Munich stated they were the better team :rolleyes:.

I don't subscribe to England's penalty curse.. penalties are about nerves of steel and luck.. skill they all have when they play in the team and they've trained countless times how to shoot a ball so i rule that out.

München had it twice in their own hands to take the cup home.. after they scored the 1:0 finally in the late stage of the game only to get the equalizer in the final stages and then when a player missed a penalty in the extension of the game.

The backlash over the coming days and weeks here in Germany will be huge.. colleagues of mine have put a party together and were really fired up about the game. Monday will be interesting in the office.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A great season for Fergie - Chelsea Double, City League, Liverpool Carling, Arsenal Golden Boot. United ? Charity Shield...