Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. The Caprican

The Caprican Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Trier- I liked Tricia Helfer, but as soon as I heard Suze Plakson, it sounded perfect. I wouldn't have picked Christopher Judge, but hearing him as Taran'atar adds a new layer to the character I didn't perceive in the novels.

Vaughn- Louis Ferreira might need some age make up. But he plays strength against vulnerability very well.

Prynn- Nona Gaye (The Matrix 2 and 3, Zee) seems perfect to me.

Shar- Whoever said BD Wong was brilliant.

Thirss- Elyse Levesque
    Anichent- Sean Maher
    Dizhei- Gennelle Williams

And I love CCH Pounder for Ambassador zh'Thane.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth pointing out any more that Prynn's ethnicity is Anglo-Japanese. So many people misread that Asian model on the Mission: Gamma cover as black due to the hairstyle or lighting or whatever.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So perhaps the lead singer of Lush would make a great Prynn?

4. The Caprican

The Caprican Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Christopher, you're right about that. I was looking at the novel cover for Mission Gamma and she does look African American. I did forget her mother's name was Ruriko. My bad on that one.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always gone with Grace Park for Prynn pretty much from the first time I read Avatar. And we even got several scenes of Park surfing in Hawaii 5-0, so they line up even better now.

6. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Last night I was watching Chuck, and Marco Rodriguez was in it. He played Captain Paul Rice (sort of) in TNG's "The Arsenal of Freedom" and Glinn Telle in TNG's "The Wounded." I think he might work as Reyes from Vanguard. I haven't seen much more of his acting, so I don't know how good he is, but visually he's close to what I picture.

Marco Rodriguez: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0735424/

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see him working. I know David Mack has Tommy Lee Jones in his cast list, but I've always gone with Esai Morales from Jericho and Caprica.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no idea why, but when I read Vanguard, I always have Michael O'Hare (Jeffrey Sinclair of Babylon 5) in my head for Diego Reyes. I know he's not at all what the authors have in mind, but for whatever reason, his attitude and mannerisms remind me of Commander Sinclair. I can't seem to shake it. :)

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Ugh, God, no. Ugh!

Michael O'Hare has to be the single worst actor I have ever seen in a lead role of anything. In the entirety of first season, he had exactly one line delivery that I thought was good. One.

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, agreed, I just meant his look and "voice," but with... um... "better" acting. :)

11. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

That's not nearly as wrong as when I picture Diego Reyes as Geoff Pierson.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking through my cast list for Vanguard and I thought of an alternate pick for Rana Desai. In David Mack's annotations for Harbinger he lists Parminder Nagra, but I'm not that familiar with her, and I've found that I really like 24's Necar Zadegan in the role.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  13. regemet

regemet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What about Ishakawa Mao (Luka Millfy in Kazaui Sentai Gokiger) for Pryn Tenmai.

14. Christopher

I needed to Google it, but the name of the Gokaiger actress is actually Ichimichi Mao. And she looks way too young and girlish for Prynn.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lance Reddick as Moves-With-Burning-Grace

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think it's unfair to single out one actor in B5 - the show was knee deep in bad acting. Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Jeff Conaway, Jerry Doyle, Tracy Scoggins etc. etc.

Which makes it all the more astounding how good Stephen Furst, Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas were.

18. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Sorry but I can't agree. Personally I enjoyed all the acting on B5 (although I certainly won't disagree that the three actors you cite at the end of your post were indeed the best of the best.) except for Michael O'Hare. There was just something about the combination of his choices as an actor and the way the character was written that made it very hard for me to bear watching him. My interest in B5 only really took off after Bruce Boxleitner joined the cast.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Neither was ever going to win an Oscar but I preferred O'Hare's worthy and earnest dullness to Boxleitner's smirking cheese and ham.

20. Christopher

I like Bruce Boxleitner, though I think on the whole that owes more to Scarecrow and Mrs. King and maybe TRON than it does to B5.