"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Hitchcockian cameos are for The Birds. ;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral Buzzkill

4. Maurice

I told Cynthia not to let Alex rewind the film. I knew this kind of thing would happen. ;)

5. Maurice

[​IMG]

From the first day of shooting: the camera crew gets set up for the first shot of the day.

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Not pictured: the extras and equipment who caught fire.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

I knew the giant magnifying glass was a bad idea.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Let me also indulge my overweening vanity by expressing surprised satisfaction that I look less grey in full daylight than in most flash photography. :lol:

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the looks of the last image the guys should sign you up for a George Lucas lookalike contest. ;)

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Looking at the photos - remembering just how uncomfortable the whole location shoot was (one of our youngest crew had to return to the hotel mid-day on Saturday because of heat-induced illness) - I have to say that I miss it and being around these guys more than I can say. I speak effusively of them here all the time and even so never get near communicating just how awesome they are or how much I adore them all.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Aw crap, I think we just made it mad!"

12. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Missed it by that much!

13. Admiral Buzzkill

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Among many other things I'm trying to decide how much color I want in the holographic displays. I kind of like the monochrome - along with the curvature of the images it reminds me of 1950s television sets like the old Predictas.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thought: Limitations in the holographic display would support the need for flat-panel displays.

Another thought: In real life, if a monochromatic holographic display were developed, I'd be very surprised if monochromatic displays at various wavelengths could not be developed that were suitable for red, green, and blue color primaries. Further, I'd think that simply superimposing the displays would naturally result in RGB color. But perhaps the resolution is so accurate in the individual monochromatic displays that precisely superimposing two primaries, much less three, is problematic. Maybe it's hard to get them perfectly aligned, so it's usually preferable to operate in monochromatic mode. And maybe when color is needed, two primaries work better than three.

17. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

That picture looks great! The other displays in the background have the color. I would leave the holo displays as they are, they do stand out against the other displays. My 2 cents worth....

18. Admiral Buzzkill

There is that contrast to consider too, you're right.

The holographic display is a kind of on-demand system which displays different kind of imagery at different points in the story - and a good deal of the time the system's just on standby and not actively projecting anything. There are also smaller, simpler display panels that are intended for the folks at the table (some of these larger panels are for the reference of the Captain and other officers moving around the deck). There's probably a three-dimensional, full-color galactic map at one point as well as 3D visualization/reconstruction of some microscopic phenomena.

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The hologram looks cool.

20. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks great! But I guess my only question is why use a holographic projection to project a 2-D image? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the projector display 3-D images? Maybe relief maps of planetary topography etc?