X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see 20th Century Fox rebooting the franchise. If they wanted to do that, they would have done that after X-Men: The Last Stand.

Apparently they were considering that with X-Men: First Class until Bryan Singer came on-board. It was going to essentially reboot the series with younger versions of Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Beast, etc. when Josh Schwartz was writing it and then Singer pitched his version which then tied back into the original trilogy.

Now with First Class and The Wolverine (featuring Hugh Jackman as Wolverine), I think it would be much more difficult for Fox to reboot the series now than when The Last Stand debuted in 2006. I mean, they had an opportunity to do that with First Class (which would have ended the "Singerverse" with X-Men Origins: Wolverine) but they clearly opted to continue that universe.

Honestly, I think we'll see a sequel to First Class. I'm sure the film will do well in box office receipts and 20th Century Fox will green-light a sequel. If The Wolverine wasn't in development, then I would be a bit less confident. Unless 20th Century Fox plans to reboot the series after The Wolverine, which could conceivably happen if that movie bombs.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, this IS a reboot

3. JacksonArcher

Not really.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's a preboot. Part prequel, part reboot. ;)

Partial reboots set after the original movie are called requels.

5. JacksonArcher

You better patent that.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Do you think they'd let me? :D

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Part Prequel.

Part Reboot.

All Movie.

8. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it is a reboot in the sense we've come to expect a reboot. Like I also this this Green Lantern sequel talk is them attempting a do over ala Norton's Hulk to Lee's Hulk. First Class doesn't totally wipe the slate clean for the previously films- maybe it picks and chooses but doesn't dismiss all. Does it however reinvigorate the franchise with fresh blood? Yes. Really, are the Star Wars prequels considered reboots? Of course not. But did they add new stars and storylines to the series? Yes (we'll ignore all the death strikes it did for now!) First Class offers what happened to these people in a different part of the timeline. And hey, maybe they didn't get all the facts straight if you want to get finite but big whoop.

I know everyone says domestic is where the BO numbers are at. Isn't the 330 such mil worldwide a major number? If they end with 350 worldwide and can do 30 to 50 in video sales, that is a huge chunk.

And Halle Berry may have been a draw for the originals, but she wasn't exactly top notch as Storm. And I agree, the cast wasn't as huge then as they are now. Even though I don't consider First Class a reboot, I would like more familiar mutants in its sequels. I would like to see the younger originals in keeping with the first films. Heck, its kind of funny, but some of the younger folks from the earlier films could feasibly play their younger characters if they get a move on with it. And yes, yes, I know someone is going to tell me that is impossibe to have someone who was a team in the early 2000s be a teen in the 70s, but we are beyond the Soap Opera Aging stuff now. Really, I always thought the first film had a fudged timeline, as it said it took place in the not to distant future, yet still had Magneto being a victim of the Holocaust. I always thought that should have made him like 70 in the original film, but big whoop. When you have great performances and quality story telling, you can forgive all that.

Although I much rather would see a proper cinematic Gambit :)

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

According to the director, it is; however, it does feature Jackman and Romijn, which muddies the waters somewhat.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because the director says something doesn't mean that it is set in stone. First Class isn't a traditional reboot. Again I'm not sure why this is even a debate in the first place. This is a prequel movie that ignores elements or has forgotten things established in previous movies. We know these kinds of continuity errors happen all the time in franchises. The Logan cameo is meant to be the same Wolverine that we've seen in previous films and that we will see again in next year's "The Wolverine".

11. Set Harth

The opinion of the person who made the film should carry more weight than that of a random fan.

Thus not a true prequel. More like an alternate-universe prequel, or preboot.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

At the grocery store today

Cashier 1- What's playing?

Cashier 2 - Car's 2 and that new Wolverine movie

Shopper- Don't go to that Wolverine movie. I thought it was boring

13. Admiral_Young

@Set Harth...as a fan I'm allowed to disagree with the director's views on a film. That's the nature of what being a fan is all about. Why don't I see you posting or supporting Bryan Singer's opinion? Matthew Vaughn directed a film BASED on a story that Singer pitched and wrote himself.

14. Set Harth

Last I heard they were still looking for a director.

Damn, they got that one out FAST. :eek:

I wasn't aware he had a different opinion.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Set Harth

I got that.

If a new Wolverine movie had come out I would know it.

I just quoted from the same link. It comes down to the relevance of the so-called "concessions". In light of these, the right answer probably would have been "a bit of both". However, it's not entirely clear what Singer's definition of "reboot" is. If a reboot means among other things that all parts are necessarily recast, I could see how the inclusion of Jackman and Romijn would seem un-rebootlike. Whatever this thing is called, it is a prequel which is only intended to partially match up with the previous films.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well Wolverine certainly had the best line in the movie.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I don't know about that.

Pig farmers and Tailors sequence was cool.

I'm going to move this coin at the end also cool.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

No, no, requels are reboots that nevertheless pay homage in some fashion to that which has gone before (so says IGN Movies, anyway). See: The Incredible Hulk. ;) :p

20. Set Harth

In the end, Singer and Vaughn are basically saying the same thing, though it's more strongly worded in Singer's case. They're both saying that they didn't necessarily feel constrained by the prior films on a point-by-point basis. In describing that situation, it's interesting that one uses the term "prequel" and the other uses the term "reboot".