Top 10 episodes according to Den of Geek

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

here we go!

I wanna hear your thoughts, then I'll chime in.

What I will say out the gate is that I'm glad "Paper Moon" made the list. What a great episode!

2. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

No In the Pale Moonlight? :lol:

I guess it's subjective. However, The Way of the Warrior is #1 for me.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

oh, i didn't even notice lol

4. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Drop Doctor Bashir, I Presume?, add In the Pale Moonlight, and move duet higher then 10 (I think it is a top ten of all of Star trek, let alone DS9)

but other then that, can't disagree.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    No In The Pale Moonlight? WTF? Not only best DS9 but one of best hours of TV, sf or otherwise.

Some of those eps are fun, diverting but not that great (Our Man Bashir, Little Green Men). Can't stand Vic Fontaine, so Paper Moon is out. Draggy whiney episode. And what's so great about I Presume other than we find out Julian's secret? (and a naff one at that).

I'd go with others, even if not my personal top 10.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

If I had to make a top ten list of my favorite DS9 episodes, that would be one hard task. I will say that I know for sure that The Visitor would be #1, so I agree wholeheartedly with that one. There are a few on the DoG list that I wouldn't have chosen, but that's neither here nor there.

I do think not having In The Pale Moonlight might have been some sort of oversight, but also like someone above mentioned, it's subjective.

That's the great thing about DS9. You could have 3 people make 3 top 10 lists with only a few episodes in common, and you can usually understand why they chose what they chose, even if those aren't your personal favorites. There are quite a few outstanding episodes to choose from.

7. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think only a few of those ten would make up my top ten, but as stated before, thats what I love about DS9, everyone has their favourites for completely different reasons.

My favourite, Far Beyond the Stars gets grief sometimes for people claiming Brooks over acted on the "Its real" rant he went on, but I think his breakdown was brilliantly played out, really tough watch that but made for an excellent episode.

8. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I don't think most of those would make my list, but each to their own. It's no easy task to find the best few out of so many wonderful episodes. As one commenter noted, it's far easier to list the worst episodes than the best, because there's much fewer to choose from.

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My personal list:
    "Duet"
    "Improbable Cause" / "The Die is Cast"
    "The Way of the Warrior"
    "Homefront" / "Paradise Lost"
    "Trials and Tribbleations"
    "Call to Arms"
    "Favor the Bold" / "Sacrifice of Angels"
    "In the Pale Moonlight"
    "It's Only a Paper Moon"
    "What You Leave Behind"

11. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

"The Way of the Warrior"
    "Siege of AR558"
    "You are Cordially Invited"
    "The Magnificient Ferengi"
    "The Emperor's New Cloak"
    "What You Leave Behind"
    "In The Pale Moonlight"
    "His Way"
    "Trials and Tribbleations"
    "Civil Defense"

12. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Odd that none of the Occupation or Final Chapter episodes are there. "Rocks and Shoals", "Sacrifice of Angels", "Tacking Into the Wind", "The Changing Face of Evil" and "What You Leave Behind" could all be there.

13. commanderkai

commanderkai Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'd drop the comedy episodes "Our Man Bashir"/"Little Green Men", and, although they were highly entertaining, and quite good, they're not the best of DS9.

14. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

What? Where the hell is "Move Along Home"? Come on, man! If we switch "The Visitor" with "Move Along Home" it would be a decent list at best.

Allamaraine!!!

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I quite like that one ;) And If Wishes... But there quite a few in latter seasons I find un-rewatchable. That O'Brien undercover one. The Worf-Risa one. And anything with Vic Fontaine.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry but why is this guy important again? I might as well write a blog and say what my 10 favorite episodes are and then advertise it on all the Star Trek BBS's on the internet. Also, for him not to have In the Pale Moonlight anywhere in his top 10 makes him lose all credibility, which he started out as having none.

And Once More unto the Breach is his second favorite episode? When was the last time this forum talked about that episode? What is it about again?

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if I'd put the same list, I'd definitely move Duet higher. "Once More Into the Breach." being #2 surprised me and I think we just had a TOS nostalgic writing up that list. It was an okay episode, that really only worked because it brought Kor back again.

The Way of the Warrior always struck me as overrated. Sure it's a lot of fanhype and a big battle, but they tried to cram WAY too much material into a two parter. Little Green Men and Trials and Tribbleations definitely get to make the list.

Two I'd probably drop are Doctor Bashir I presume and Our Man Bashir. Both are fun spoofs and good watches, but not top ten material. Far Beyond the Stars.. I dunno, I just never "got it" and honestly it bores me everytime I try and watch it. I get the message and it's a great one, but just seems very forced and crammed down your throat. Only interesting part for me was seeing the actors without their makeup.

It's Only a Paper Moon is a great episode and demonstrates how much war sucks... without even having a shot fired. The subplot of Vic's freedom vs Nog's escape is also compelling. The Visitor is my favorite Trek episode ever. That's just some powerful material and really captures the desperation of future Jake having lost his dad.

Episodes I'd include, In the Pale Moonlight, and Improbable Cause/Die is Cast deserve the list.

18. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I was going to say that it was a bit of a random list of episodes, but it's good to see when people list favourites that aren't the usual suspects. The episodes on his list are all entertaining too.

I find it hard to rank my favourites, so I'll just shove them here for no real reason except OCD:

In The Pale Moonlight
    Far Beyond The Stars
    Trials and Tribble-ations
    Call to Arms
    Necessary Evil
    Improbable Cause
    The Die Is Cast
    In Purgatory's Shadow
    By Inferno's Light
    Duet

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is why when I do a favorites list, I always include a second list of underrated favorite episodes too. I find a lot of the lists are the same, but I love it too when people say episodes that you don't expect, like Once More Unto the Breach.

With that being said, I was just surprised to see OMUTB as his second favorite episode. I honestly don't remember what it was about and it was just really random.

20. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. Is this supposed to be a "The Best Episodes of DS9" or "These are my personal favorite episodes of DS9" list? Cause even though I love, say, Change of Heart, I know it's not one of DS9's best. I just like it.