Vote for Vulcan!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by dub, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt the vote is binding, but it's fun anyway:

http://www.plutorocks.com/home

From their website:

Images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope in 2011 and 2012 revealed two previously unknown moons of Pluto. So far, we have been calling them "P4" and "P5", but the time has come to give them permanent names. If it were up to you, what would you choose?

By tradition, the names of Pluto's moons come from Greek and Roman mythology, and are related to the ancient tales about Hades and the Underworld. Please pick your favorites.

Alternatively, if you have a great idea for a name that we have overlooked, let us know by filling out the write-in form. If you can make a good case for it, we will add it to the list.

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I think most members have already seen the thread in Misc. on the same subject by now. - But cool to see the subject is popular :bolian:

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

But astronomers will take suggestions from the Science and Technology forum much more seriously than suggestions from miscellaneous.

If not for the Greek/Roman theme we started with, Inuit or Aleut legends would be a better fit for Pluto.

4. dub

I figured I missed a thread about it somewhere. Ah well. Carry on!

5. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I'd like to see the name Vulcan saved for a actual planet in another solar system.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And Vulcan should be the name of a hot, ideally volcanic world, not a tiny, icy moon.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcan should be an object closer to the Sun than Mercury. Maybe a Lagrange point object of Mercury should they exist.

8. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a scientifically established fact that Vulcan orbits 40 Eridani A, not Pluto!

9. dub

well see, I was thinking it would be fun to name it Vulcan, then we can blow it up JJ-style. What do you think? :devil:

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcan is apparently winning. Who let William Shatner use his influence on people again?

I don't mind Vulcan, Vulcan is cool, but I'm disappointed that Styx didn't win. What the hell is a Cerberus?

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The three-headed guard dog of Hades's domain in Greek mythology. Better known to Harry Potter fans as Fluffy.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it would be accurate to the Vulcan featured in Doctor Who, as the script directions for Power of the Daleks refer to 'the dark of the Plutovian night'...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  13. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Lame joke. Try harder.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The one with the mercury swamps? Now Vulcan was pluto's cousin or something.

Vulcan needs to be a hot extrasolar world--if not 40 Eridani A, then nearby.