What "New Frontier" really means.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by jamiebattell, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jamiebattell

jamiebattell Ensign Newbie

I first heard about "New Frontier" in December, 1996, shortly after the movie "First Contact" came out.

So I thought "New Frontier" would be about Lily Sloane and Zephrem Cochrane getting along with the Vulcans.

So how about it? Any author interested?

Thank you.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

More to the point is 'is the publisher interested ?' which translates as 'is there a market for it ?'.

I'm not sure - the early days of the Federation isn't that different an idea and that's (understandably) being branded as 'Enterprise'. I'm not sure it would be as marketable otherwise.

Maybe Christopher will include some historical background covering this era if his series takes off...

3. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

I can remember getting the hardcover compilation of the first four books back in 1997 or whenever it was when I was 15! :lol:

I've always thought "New Frontier" was a terrific name for a series. :)

4. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Never, ever suggest a story on this board for another author to write. If they publish it, endless legal issues are possible. Nobody wants that.

If you have an idea for a Star Trek novel, YOU write it.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I've just realized just how old "New" Frontier is. I bet Peter David never expected it to go on as long as it has.

6. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

Easy tiger. :lol:

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Angry Fanboy

I don't see any story ideas here anyway. What's the big deal?

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think "I'd like to see something about Zefram Cochrane and Lily Sloane" really constitutes a story idea... right?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Nope, not unless you propose what they're actually doing in the story.

10. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Doesn't every story start out as a simple one-line idea just like that?

And as for why you feel like you need to debate this with me, I'm just trying to nip this universally bad practice in the bud. You should be thanking me instead of nitpicking.

And also as for what will inevitably be your continued debate on the subject, remember that I didn't ask for it. Anybody ELSE feel like granting me literary immortality for doing the right thing? :guffaw:

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I gotta side with Chris on this, it doesn't constitute a story idea.

By that logic, "I'd like to see something with dinosaurs" is the story idea for Jurassic Park.

Now, "Dinosaurs restored to life through a cloning and then run amok" is a story idea.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So we could actually destroy the entire Trek Lit by posting every idea we have? Oh, the power.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. Characters or a setting don't constitute a story. A story is an event. A man standing on a stage isn't a story. What he does there is the story.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nah, but we could make it impossible for the authors to interact with us. They'd have to avoid the Treklit threads like the plague.

By the same token, there's no point them being on here if we can't actually talk reasonably freely.

It's like most things - common sense is required....

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that's not going to work out too well then...

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easy there vegaslover, I wasn't trying to debate anything with you, I was just asking a question so as to not get into trouble in the future. Sorry if you felt this was "nitpicking," that certainly wasn't my intent. Definitely didn't mean to offend!

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a public message board, you don't have to be a member to read the thread messages. Which means that ANY author could grab a story idea from here.

It's also curious that this is limited to the Trek Lit forum. There are story ideas every now and then posted in other forums, where the authors are also active.

I personally, find this rule pretty silly because of that. Either allow it, or deny it completely. I don't think that legal repercussions argument is fully thought through.

An author could, for example, steal an idea from the fan fiction section of this very message board. Now try to prove that he DIDN'T look into that section and it happened all by accident. Unless the board restricts access of the authors to that part of the forums and it's impossible for them to go there when they're logged in. But then he could have been there while not being logged in.

18. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This has been a particularly sore point for me ever since those Reeves-Stevens bastards stole my idea for Federation. That Deep Space Nine Millennium thing was also one of mine.

And don't even get me started on started on Kristin Beyer...

19. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I seem to remember a bunch of people saying Janeway should come back, and then Janeway came back. Does someone owe someone some money?

20. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

You think that's bad?

I had an idea stolen once, about a group of people who flew around the galaxy in a spaceship. They were part of an exploration/peace keeping force, and they had an alien scientist who repressed his emotion.

Man, I coulda been RICH by now!