(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Would of prefered to keep Bertrand, he has no future at Chelsea so why hes not allowed to stay is beyond me. Andy Carroll being £35 million is stupid money but a good buy for Liverpool and will signal the end of Torres.

Liverpool still need at least 1 new CB, LB and Winger imo.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's ridiculous money for a player with only half a season in the prem, and smacks of desperation by Liverpool....amazing how mad the Liverpool fans were on SSN when they heard Charlie Adam was on his way too!

Torres 50 mil to Chelsea now?

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I think it's one of the most desperate transfers of modern times, pure panic buy at a silly price. As you say, half a season in the Prem. Although, he's scored more, assisted more and has a goals-to-minutes ratio superior to Torres!

Also, the following superstars outscored him last season:
    Peter Whittingham (renowned goal machine)
    Michael Chopra
    Nicky Maynard (had to look up who he even played for!)
    Gary Hooper (Scunthorpe sensation)
    Charlie 'Liverpool' Adam

There's no question though, as amusing and desperate as I find it, that Suarez, Carroll and Adam would be very impressive.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Another day of Fabio digging that grave a little deeper...

Despite being a friendly, hes left Micah Richards, Martin Kelly, Walker and Rodwell out of squad. The bit that really pisses me off means with 3 RB's in U21, Glen Johnson will remain at RB with no challenge despite the fact hes been shit most of season and playing at left back for Liverpool for last few games. Micah look good when he came on against France for his 1st cap in 3 years but no no no thats not good enough still.

Fabio refuses to even look at Rodwell in training :rolleyes: BUT expect him to call up Gerrard for a pointless match with a player barely match fit due to a big injury last November followed by a 3 match suspension shortly after coming back. Lampard will probably come back too, ooo brave new changed England.

Fabio stop digging, give me the spade and let me just smack you over the head and get it over with.

5. HappyDayRiot

I bet Fabio would play Chopra at home to Reading on a wet Tuesday night though.

Seriously, Dave Jones, what the hell were you thinking!? The man's on fire!

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas too, what a waste of time he is. We gave Andy Keogh a lot of stick but Christ at last he could control the ball. Back to Arsenal with him! Lee Naylor too, but he's a lost cause. Woeful, possibly the worst full-back we've ever had.

Derby day on Sunday, live on the BBC. Neither Cardiff nor Swansea has ever doubled the other, so let's hope that continues. Blowing it at home to Reading (though in fairness, we did hit the bar twice and hit at least 4 shots inches wide) in conjunction with the rest of the top 6 all winning was NOT good.

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Wait, so Liverpool in effect traded Torres for Andy Carroll+15 million pounds? :lol:

That's either the most ingenious or idiotic transfer I ever heard of.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You missed 'desperate' :lol:

8. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

did i watch that right? did newcastle come back from 4-0 down to tie the game? :eek:

9. HappyDayRiot

Oh Arsenal, the first Premier League team to EVER throw away a 4-0 lead.

I'd still be laughing now if the South Wales Derby wasn't due to kick off in less than two hours and I'm bricking it.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I just love when the mighty fall

Yesterday Bayern München, supposedly Germany's best team (and by statistics and won championships they are), lost 2:3 after leading 2:0 against a team that's threatened to be delegated to 2nd league by current standings.

The reason why i'm so full of joy is that the managers (and sometimes the players too) are so full of arrogance when it's going well for them when they start public flame wars just to intimidate their opposition.

It's sometimes like US presidential elections here in the 1st league.

They are having major problems now despite having a technically good team and a very good trainer yet they still fuck up now and then which gives me much fun.

Otherwise i don't really care about footbal but you can't read news on Friday and over the weekend without getting news about football too.

11. oojason

oojason Commander Red Shirt

or another way of looking at it would be that Liverpool now have 2 forwards (Carroll and Suarez) who want to be at the club - instead of one that didn't.

12. HappyDayRiot

Wow, does anything feel better than a derby win in your local rival's own backyard where you're comfortably the better team? I bet not! Cardiff's first win on Swansea turf in nearly 14 years! And what a beauty of a strike to win it!

Liverpool also took Chelsea apart - deserved winners there. Torres who?

That Munich story is also a great one - can't beat a big club fucking up like that!

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    Grats. Although I have to say, it's almost more satisfying to win a derby when your team has been clearly worse and just got lucky. :D

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I was recalling a Spurs Man City match where the same thing happened, but I suspect that was a cup game.

Irrespective of going down to 10 men and having two penalties against you, you should never throw away a 4 goal lead, especially not if you're a team with pretensions of winning the title.

15. Angel4576

IIRC, that Man City game was 3-0 wasn't it? Wasn't it 0-3 and then they went down to 10 men as well, and then they pulled it back and won 4-3?

16. HappyDayRiot

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thats the one. My bad! :)

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

England last night was ok, much better in 2nd half but still potentially crippling issues needs addressing...

Hart (7) - Two very smart saves but needs to marshal his defence better and not playing at the same level as earlier into the season.

Johnson (6) - If he had not been involved in the 2nd goal, he would of gotten a 5 because he was caught half asleep several times. Martin Kelly and Micah Richards should be ahead of him for the squad IMO.

Terry (7) - Solid game though clearly prefers playing with Rio due to experience of partnership.

Dawson (6) - Got better as the game went but too eafer to commit himself leaving us open at times. Good enough for the squad but most likely not the starting 11.

Cole (7) - Was left 1 on 2 sometimes but still managed to play well overall. Needs to be more clincal going forward but nothing wrong with his defensive game after all these years.

Walcott (7) - We didn't get the ball to him enough but when we did, looked very dangerous. Best cap he's had for ages and its about time too.

Lampard (6) - Should not be in the squad when Gerrard is fit, pace gone and doesn't suit Capello deep midfield mentality

Wilshire (6) - His 1st touch and passing game is solid but is clearly not the holding player Fabio thinks. Wanted to get forward and Capello should let Stevie aging legs take the anchor role. Can be our Xavi if let loose ;)

Milner (7) - Typcial hard working shift with some nice play dow nthe wings BUT a few times was too slow getting back, can't do that against Bale come March.

Rooney (6) - Some wonderful passing that Beckham would admire, especially his pass in the build up to the 1st goal. However simply plays TOO FAR AWAY FROM THE GOAL.

Bent (8) - Finally looks the part and not only scored but had a few other chances to add to his tally of 2 goals in 6 caps. Kept making runs and playing off the shoulder of the defence, thast what we need. Will probably start agaisnt Wales in March barring injury.

SUBS
    Cahill (6) - Wasn't really troubled and had little to do but looked more composed than Dawson.

Young (7) - Best cap to date and took his goal really well.

Parker (7) - Played well though was helped by Denmark playing at a slower pace in the 2nd half. Still not go the legs at his age to play all the time.

Barry (6) - Did his normal job, nothing more nothing less

Downing (6) - Nothing special, nothing horrible - cameo cap nothing else.

Baines - N/A

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Manchester derby today and I have a feeling Utd might lose this one, their less than stellar form might be starting to catch up on them though I think they will still win the title and maybe the FA Cup too.

My mighty Forest have QPR and its on telly too but away at their ground, I think might prove too much for us. However if we win with our games in hand then the Championship Title and promotion is ours to lose.

we have only 18 fit players :( at moment so I would wish Billy would stop buying Strikers.

20. Angel4576

Yeah Billy's like that. In our last promotion season we were top of the table just after Christmas but injuries were thinning our squad out. Needed replacements all over the place but Billy just brought in a load of midfielders which was really the one area where we didn't need anyone! :rolleyes: Ended up unbalancing the team and we clung on to third and went up in the playoffs.

Leicester at home for us, on the telly, hence que defeat. :rolleyes: