Starship FARRAGUT: The CROSSING

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like release date is approaching. The Farragut group has just released their first trailer for this Mirror Universe-related adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyjHa5zYmw

Lieutenant Prescott is back, script by Paul Sieber and actor\director Mark Hildebrand repeats as Capt. Wilcox of the USS Potemkin.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Just saw it, looks very good.

3. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

(I think Henry Francis Prescott III has the rank of Commander now, not Lieutenant.)

4. Bixby

Well how about that! Is it possible for a security officer, even a head of security to move up in rank that high?

Another question I have for whoever, in Farragut's short film ''Just Passing through'', it mentions Wilcox was the Potemkin's captain for a number of years, and unless the one we saw in the Crossing is the Mirror universe Wilcox, it might be safe to assume that Wilcox was the captain of the Potemkin during the Ultimate Computer episode?

(this is me being nerdy as heck! :) )

Here's a question for Greg and any other Producer who might want to answer: is there a gentleman's agreement between the various productions to not contradict certain additions made to the Star Trek ''universe''? For example, Phase 2 established onscreen that the USS Eagle was lost in space but manned by an Andorian, and the Exeter people have the USS Kongo and all hands obliterated in TTI.

What I'm getting at is, if a production wishes to feature another starship for whatever role within their episode, does everyone make a point not to use a ship that was already shown on another series? such as having Phase 2 filming a story with the tellarite captain of the Excalibur, or having Captain Bishop of the Valiant destroying the Farragut and its renegade Captain, Luigi Nguyen Gregorivich...

I know it's been relatively easy in the last decade to avoid stepping on each other's toes, but with more and more productions being started every year or so, eventually somebody might slip up...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Has Paul Seiber ever written anything he didn't also cast himself in?

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That would be true of a lot of fanfilm makers. Why single out Paul?

7. GSchnitzer

I know of no such "gentleman's agreement." Mostly, I think that if we are exploring strange new worlds and going where no man has gone before, we aren't too likely to bump heads with stuff that other productions have already established. If we are seeing stuff that is familiar (either from TOS or from fan productions based on TOS), then I guess it's not really all that strange or new or going where no man has gone before.

But I bet the time will come when somebody will put in some small data point that contradicts some other fan production. If and when it happens, it will probably be just some good natured ribbing.

"If you don't clean up your act, Ensign, I'll transfer you off the Enterprise to the worst ship in the fleet!"

"No, please, Captain Kirk! Anything but transferring me to the Farragut or the Exeter! Just kill me instead!"

Yeah--I could see it.

8. GSchnitzer

Writers are not generally in charge of casting.

Also, regarding Prescott's rank, when last we saw him in Star Trek Phase II's "Kitumba," he was a Lieutenant Commander. He has been a Lieutenant Commander since his first appearance in Starship Farragut's 2007 "For Want of a Nail." I think he's been that rank for several years now; maybe it's time he become a full Commander.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm curious to see this.

10. Maurice

Coming so close on the heels of "Fairest Of Them All" it seems likely that the availability of mirror universe outfits may have inspired this episode. Either that or it's a big coincidence.

11. Bixby

He wrote The Price of Anything for Starship Farragut and he didn't appear in that....

12. GSchnitzer

In fact, "The Price of Anything" seems to be Paul Sieber's only writing credit so far. So, the question might better be: has Paul Sieber ever written anything that he has also appeared in? The answer would seem to be "no."

13. Bixby

However, Paul Sieber did write he screenplay for Farragut's first full-length episode, The CAPTAINCY, which introduced his character (sorry Greg, but it isn't mentioned on his IMDB for some reason)

14. GSchnitzer

Hm. Yes, you're right. Thank you.

Odd.

So Paul has been in 50% of the stuff he writes.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No idea. Since he has no difficulty getting cast regularly in quite a number of independent movies - most of them non-Trek and I suspect most of them more in the horror or suspense vein than skiffy stuff - it's a silly question anyway.

I cast him as the lead in my movie and couldn't be happier. :)

16. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Paul Sieber seems like a fine actor, so I have no problems if he appears in his own piece.

The one thing that striked me as odd is that they seem to be sleeping with their uniform on on board the Farragut... :alienblush:

17. Maurice

The one thing that irritates me in the trailer, and in a lot of fanfilms, is the superimposition of sparks and explosions onto shots where they don't work. Like on the bridge, all these sparks go flying off the helm but no one flinches, which is a dead giveaway that they're just laid on after (the fact that they are just faded off makes matters worse). The fireball in the corridor also looks unconvincing because there's no effort to create the effect of interactive lighting to sell the flames being in the corridor.

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  18. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

The security officer in Devil in the Dark was a full commander (same actor who play commodore Wesley)

19. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I've read Paul's script for The Crossing, and it's really good. The ending actually moved me. You're gonna love it.

20. GSchnitzer

Well, Kirk identifies him ax "Lieutenant Commandee Giotto" (although he wears full Commander braid). The same thing happens at other times in the first season with Spock and Ben Finney. I wonder which is right: what we see or what we hear?