Star Trek VI: The Remade ''Package''?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Never heard of The Package. So I don't know?

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The plot isn't exactly original to The Package either. Terrible film, btw.

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

like how skyfall has basically the same plot as crocodile dundee 2?

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

THE PACKAGE is a great movie, a very solid thriller IMO. I've seen it several times, but I'd consider it more of a proto-JFK than a proto-TUC, as they go to a lot of trouble to construct an Oswald-patsy that will leave the actual shooter in the clear. First time I got the impression composer James Newton Howard could really bring things score-wise, especially during the rush to the climax.

There are similarities to TUC, but I'd say it is more like Meyer getting to do his previous film, the studio-butchered COMPANY BUSINESS, over again, since that is also 'the wall comes down' and the protagonists are considered over-the-hill AND on the run from their governments.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

One more reason to never see CD2, thanks!

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Does all this mean Shakespeare never did a plot where rival factions conspired against the goals of heroes?

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Nick Meyer has said that the name Gorkon was deliberately chosen to remind us of Gorbachev. His beard was deliberately reminiscent of Abraham Lincoln.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I have seen The Package several times and I did not equate it with ST VI: The Undiscovered Country at all.

10. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The Package is a pretty good Cold War thriller and I can see some similarities but not enough to relate the two movies significantly.

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There's a lot more <ahem> "influence" from The Hunt For Red October.

12. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Package, The Hunt For Red October, The Tempest ... whatever you choose, the one thing THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY doesn't really remind me of is the Star Trek series.

13. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I really doubt it. I'm sure they went in to production for ST6 in 89, and had a script before that. Also, things in hollywood seem to always come in 2's; like white house down and olympus has fallen for example. Plus, it's not like it's an original story at all.

A blatant rip off in my memory would be Masters of the Universe seemingly ripping off Return of the Jedi in the last half of the movie.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Actually, the production timeline for TUC is extremely compressed. When they approached Harve Bennet in 1990 to deliver a movie by the end of 91, he said there wasn't enough time (plus they didn't want to make the movie he wanted to do.)

It was around fall 90 that Meyer got involved, and the screenplay drafts emerged by year's end, with revisions into the new year as the film struggled to get a green light, being officially cancelled at one point when Paramount and the producers were 1 million dollars apart on the budget.

15. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Saw The Package in the last 2 years because I'm a big Hackman fan, but I wasn't too impressed and it didn't remind me of Star Trek VI at all.

Star Trek VI...

I liked ST VI. Good movie, but there are things I really don't like...

1. The claustrophobic looking Enterprise sets.

2. Looks and feels like a TV movie.

3. I wasn't keen on the music. I know they couldn't afford Goldsmith or Horner, but this being the last movie, it should've had one of the two.

4. Scotty looked silly knocking down doors. Should've had Sulu or Chekov doing that.

16. CorporalClegg

I don't know if it budget reasons so much as Meyer wanted someone who'd be "inspired" by Holst.

He probably figured Goldsmith would insist on doing his own thing. And I think that maybe have been around the time Horner was having his health issues. (Not really sure about that, though.)

17. EnriqueH

Could be my misunderstanding, but I just finished reading Meyer's autobiography and I could've sworn he said Horner and Goldsmith were too expensive. Let me grab the book and see if I can find that section...

18. EnriqueH

Yeah, here it is on page 215 going into 216:

"I could not afford Jerry Goldsmith to write our score; I couldn't even afford James Horner, who had risen in prominence (and price) in the years since The Wrath of Khan."

19. CorporalClegg

I'm calling BS on that one, or rather, he just used it as an excuse.

Goldsmith was having a hard time finding decent work around that time. And Horner did The Rocketeer in 91 which had roughly the same budget as TUC.

20. EnriqueH

Huh, I guess it's possible.

Why would he use that as an excuse though? In other words, why would he lie about that?

Interesting about The Rocketeer, but was anyone in the cast of The Rocketeer as expensive as Shatner/Nimoy? Meyer breaks down the Star Trek VI budget when talking about his fight with the studio over the $25 million/$30 million budet battle.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014