My wife cried at the last ep. of Babylon 5!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by T J, Mar 21, 2010.

1. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I finally succeeded! I'm blown away! :eek: For years my wife hated B5, with a passion. Then a couple months ago I popped in season 1 and we've been doing a marathon (in the past she has either grudging said nothing or found something else to do) this time she got into it.

By last night we were watching Sleeping in Light and I hear sniffles and see tears running down her face. Up until that point I had no idea she was that into it! :eek:

I feel like I won some sort of great sci-fi victory! She finally gets it! There should be some kind of sci-fi husband trophy for moments like this. :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

No one can not cry for SiL.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

"Sleeping in Light" is the only episode of any show I've seen my mother cry over. She got quite tearful over it- and not only does she not cry she hadn't even seen any other episode! :lol:

You can imagine what I was like after seeing the episode, given that I cry easily and I'd watched and enjoyed the entire series. :) I still get tearful over parts of it.

4. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've cried 8 times right now just thinking about it. :lol:

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know matter how many times I watch it. Just not a cryer.

But I will admit to coming close in this case.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

What do you cry over though:
    - Sheridan saying goodbye (goodnight) to Delenn
    - Destruction of B5

Some people have different reactions. I didn't cry when Sheridan said goodnight but had a lump in my throat when the old girl went up.

8. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not a big cryer either, but Sleeping in Light? Oh yeah, I cried at that! "Good night my love...":wah:

A lot of TV finales feel like they're simply doing what they need to do, but a few are special, and B5's was one of those.

9. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Your story gives me hope. I've been trying to get my girlfriend to watch B5 as well. She gets halfway through the pilot, calls it cheesy and turns it off :(

10. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I wish you luck man... it took me 8 years! :lol:

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The pilot -is- cheesy.

Sorry, but it's true, though I can't speak for the updated version.

I never would have gotten into B5 if I didn't have friends who were into it, and if I hadn't been hanging out with them when a Shadow ship flew across the screen. That got my attention pretty quickly. I love those ships.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, nobody's going to be sold through the pilot. Try In the Beginning.

13. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. RandyS

I did that with my girlfriend and she had a reaction similar to Clint's. But she still agreed to give the show a try and we watch my DVD's from time to time.

Weeks pass.

Most of our DVD viewing is still devoted to her Disney collection.

Thankfully she's a Star trek fan also.

15. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Vir's speech- "You know Londo never liked the pak'ma'ra...", and the toast afterwards.

Delenn and Sheridan saying goodnight.

The last shuttle pulling out and the Alliance fleet lined up in an honour guard, and then the fleet turning away from the station...in fact, the entire final five minutes. :)

16. glindros

glindros Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Who doesn't cry from that thing? jms was going for that exact effect, utilizing everything including the musical score.

As far as "In The Beginning" goes, it really should be seen post season 4. Go for something like "Severed Dreams", or "The Coming of Shadows".

17. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Nope, no can do. She has made up her mind. I've tried getting her to watch starting from season 2 but she's stubborn :lol:

18. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

After many viewings, there's only a few places where the tears still come. The destruction of the station and when Delenn reaches out in yearning for John - both as he leaves and as she watches the sun come up.

Jan

19. RandyS

For me, the destruction of the station scene gave me one of, if not THE most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard on TV (or in the movies for that matter). I took to that instantly and was very happy when that cue showed up on the Best of Babylon 5 CD.

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't have been a Babylon 5 fan if I'd waited that long. There's just no way I would have put up with the first season. And it does work rather well as an introduction to the series (which JMS has recognized as such).

Yes, it was produced after season four, but does that mean it should be watched after Sleeping in Light, which was one of season four's last episodes production-wise? ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010