Furries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Oct 7, 2009.

1. KiraDax

KiraDax Captain Captain

J,

I think you've missed the point. You say you want to open the floor up and provide insight into the furry subculture for anyone here who might have questions. Fact is, most people don't automatically harbor dislike or distrust of furries without researching what they're about. The information is out there for everyone to absorb, and most people have researched it before they started flinging opinions.

People are generally leery of the subculture because of what it is about, not due to ignorance.

Now, I'm certain a furry wouldn't see anything wrong with the lifestyle, and yes, I'm sure it is perfectly devoid of any bad intent for many. Still, that doesn't change the fact that other people just aren't comfortable with it. Going around and attempting to assert your personal, positive view of it isn't going to change that.

This is a Jehovah's Witness situation. Sometimes it's best to shut up and enjoy your way without expecting everyone to love it too.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I understand what you're saying. I don't expect everyone to love it, I was just curious what people thought about it. I tend to ask a lot of questions, this would be no different for me. For the most part, this thread has been very civil, and I harbor no ill will or bad feelings toward anyone in here, that includes RM, whom I consider a friend. I did, however, want to clear up misconceptions. I'm always in search of the truth, even if I don't like the outcome.

That being said, threads doing well and people are free to ask questions. :)

J.

3. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

I'm surprised it's got this far without a total meltdown and moderator intervention.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I think most people in Miscellaneous are mature and responsible enough not to resort to flaming or trolling. There would be no reason for anyone to troll or flame here. It's an honest discussion, and I hope it stays that way. :D

J.

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I dunno, it does seem a bit attentionish. It doesn't seem like you're simply content to know what people think about it. I go back and forth between feeling like you want something to defend, and feeling like you really want this to be accepted.

So okay, two questions for you then.

Do you enjoy having interests that are considered unusual or even controversial?

Do you feel a desire to have your interests accepted by others?

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Well, I do want to know what people think. All I am defending is whether something is untrue or not. Saying "I think furries are a bit odd" is fine. Saying "I think it's close to pedophilia and bestiality" is not. I would think someone would rather have an untruth dispelled than continuing to abide by it.

I enjoy having interests, regardless of whether they are considered unusual or controversial. I like something because I like it, not because it stirs controversy.

Organically, yes. By that I mean if someone doesn't like something and then later thinks "Oh, that's not what I thought it was. Okay.", that's great. I wouldn't and do not wish to force someone to like something that I do. To each their own in that regard.

J.

7. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

OMG JUST KIDDING

That's what YOU think peckerhead... :scream:

:D :p ;)

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Re: OMG JUST KIDDING

Fursecution! :klingon:

;) :D

J.

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

*skips over eleventy billion posts by Robert Maxwell and J.*

I will say this: what the fuck is it with people comparing furry to being gay? It's not a sexual orientation, guys. At most it's a fetish, and it's sure not hard-wired.

[​IMG]

10. Kestra

Oh I mean the entire premise of the thread comes off in a certain way. I mean, you know it's a controversial topic so you know you're going to be defending yourself if you post about it.

Right, I mean you're not going to conjure an interest in something out of nowhere. But what I'm trying to ask is, do you derive any additional pleasure from having that interest be somewhat unique?

I totally don't understand what you're saying here (and I had no idea that "organically" could be used in this context), so I'll just leave this part alone. :p

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I know it can be controversial. One of the reasons I started the thread was my curiosity. I figured if some people found it controversial then I could dispel any misconceptions they may have had. I didn't start the thread to create controversy if that's what you mean. Actually, I kind of figured since so many Trek fans were into blue aliens, Klingons and other such things, a furry would be little to no ill regard.

Unique? Yes. Uniqueness can draw controversy, but I do not derive pleasure from controversy, no.

By "organically", I mean growing naturally. In other words, someone reaches the conclusion themselves without being forced to abide by it.

J.

12. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

So I got thinking... how would furries play strip poker? You strip off the clothes over your fursuit or do you strip off your firsuit... or both? :confused::confused::confused:

:guffaw:

13. Gepard

Well I can't speak to Jay's back-and-forth with Robert Maxwell/The Dead Nations, I can say that we discussed his idea of starting this thread before he did, and his motive at the time was curiosity and an interest in getting the discussion out of the desktop thread, which it has almost derailed.

Sure, it would be nice if Dead wasn't ragging on us here, but then I go to Google image search with the safeties off and realize we furries brought this on ourselves. What can you do? (Other than join Improved Anthropomorphics.)

To The Dead Nations, however: what do you say about an artist like Lizardbeth, who doesn't draw nudity or sex or adult situations in her art, but is very much active in the fandom, going to conventions, appearing on podcasts, etc? In your eyes, is it fetishisitc just because she draws anthro animal characters that have curves and breasts even though they're all dressed in normal human clothes?

14. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, you beat me to it. Pass the popcorn please. My money is on J. :D

15. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

100 on J then. Anyone else?

16. Kestra

The discussion was a bit heated in the other thread, so obviously you knew that that would continue here.

I dunno about fetishistic or whatever. Hold on, lemme go look up the definition because I'm sure someone will quote it back to me in a minute.

Okay, I think it probably still fits this part: An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.

But then I feel like I'd have to go back and study more abnormal psych and we're getting into clinical stuff and I don't really have the interest for that here. I'll get back to you after I have my psychology degree. ;)

As far as "adult situations," I think that artist you linked does portray them. There was at least one sexually suggestive pose and a few with drinks and such. And, er ... not all the clothes are really what I would consider normal. As in, I would be surprised to see someone on the street in such an outfit.

17. Gepard

Depends on the furry. Some (many) of them are. We are, however, on a Star Trek board where people will get into flame wars over how long the new Enterprise is, so I hope you're not intending this as a criticism. People in glass houses and all...

Damn. We're including alcohol in the definition of "sexual fetish" now? In that case, "adult situations" was a poor choice of words; I was specifically referencing the kind of sexual/kinky/nakedy thing that Dead's been going on about. I don't think anyhting in Lizardbeth's art is, for example, more suggestive or risque than anything a kid could see on TV, which is the gist of my point.

18. Gepard

Jay was concerned about that exact thing. I was actually the one who talked him down from that, since I didn't feel the desktop thread was too bad, and prior discussion of furryness in Misc had generally been pleasant and good-natured. Clearly, I didn't count on the effect of explicitly drawing attention to the subject. :lol:

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: If you put lots of toppings on...

bloody hell, ice cream has a lot of sex metaphors doesn't it? :wtf:

20. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Duh, people are aware of that. I'm aware of that. My point is, some people treat furry fandom as a form of abnormality. It just parallels how others feel the same way about homosexuality.