The X-Files - First Time Watching

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Dec 14, 2013.

1. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"War of the Coprophages" certainly had one of the best endings ever :lol:. But personally I liked "Syzygy" better. I loved the banter between Mulder and Scully. And the scene in which they fight over who gets to drive the car was actually a hint to the fans. Apparently fans were complaining about Mulder always being the driver when the series was still on.

I wanted to comment about the other episodes, too, but it somehow slipped my mind. I remember that I saw a video in which Carter said that "Oubliette" had some parallels to a real abduction case - although not on purpose. But the fact that there is very little supernatural going on about the abduction itself makes the whole episode very real... and very creepy. The binding between the kidnapped girl and Lucy almost ruined it for me. Almost ;).

As far as the mythological episodes are concerned I am not a huge fan of them, but in season 3 they are at least still halfway decent. I found it very weird that all women from the abduction group still had their implants. But the part with the bomb was really great.

I don't remember that. I thought it was not properly cleared up and left to the imagination of the viewer whether or not the alien was actually a real alien.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been a while, but I'm still watching X-Files and still in Season 3. I've been busy (And there's a lot of shows that I'm watching now, which makes me think I need to cut back) lately but I'm still trying to get through the series. Overall, I've really liked this season, even though it's been a long time watching. I liked the recent Two parter: Piper Maru and Apocrypha, or the introduction of the black goo. It's been a while, but the last thing I remember about these episodes was Krychek being left inside the silo. Because it has been a while I need to read up on previous episodes to refresh myself on the story, since it seems like this season is where this mythological story kind of spirals a little bigger than even the show can handle.

I actually just saw the next episode tonight, Pusher, which was really disturbing. Loved the actor who played Pusher, and it was a good psychokinesis story, something The X-Files is good at.

It's slow going, but I'm still watching and enjoying the series. I will finish season 3 eventually. ;)

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I too am still with the X-Files rewatch. I'm now up to Season 7, and with Season 6 onwards, it's been the first time I've seen the episodes since they were originally broadcast. So for some of them, it's like watching them for the first time.

It's probably a spoiler, but a vague enough one, but best go as far as Season 6 on your first time watch and leave it there.

4. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'm up to the middle of the 3rd season. I couldn't believe how much of the first season I missed rewathching them now. (amazon had the whole 9 seasons + both movies for $89.00, so whee!)

I'm enjoying seeing your posts. I watched pretty faithfully back in the 3rd season, apparently, but there's been plenty I forgot. And it's really strange. I watched the pilot episode and the only scene I remembered was the very last with CSM putting the implant in the evidence box, but then they repeated it almost verbatim at the end of the season, so maybe that's when I remembered it. :lol:

I'm really enjoying it much more now than I did then, but then I don't have to worry about the network moving it around on me now, either.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved Pusher. One of my favorite X-Files. The cat and mouse game between Pusher and Mulder was great. One of a very small group of the standalones which got a sequel.

6. tomalak301

I think I might be getting tired of spirit curses on this show. I just watched the season three episode with a spanish title but I think it should have been called Attack of the Killer Cats. It seemed like they were going with Shock Value but when the episode ends, what does it all mean. Also, this episode was too dark, and took me out of the show completely. I haven't reviewed every episode, but I would say this episode might be in my bottom 5 least favorite X-Files episodes I've seen.

7. tomalak301

Jose Chung From Outer Space

This episode was deliciously wacky. X-files isn't what I would consider a comedy show, but they did it well here with it's audaciousness and wit. Loved seeing Mulder and Scully as different personalities, and I was taken aback by seeing Charles Nelson Reilly, Jesse Ventura, and Alex Trabek in this episode. Loved the guy who said bleep all the time too. :guffaw::guffaw:

8. tomalak301

I'm glad we finally got a skinner centric episode in this series. I really like him and wish we had more of his backstory. It was also nice to see Cash in this episode too.

9. Marsden

Besides the very funny nature of the whole episode, I love the layers of truth in this one. I mean, what really happened? No one can really be sure. I like how the first hypnosis seemed to bring out the false memories which the second hypnosis revealled were planted by an previous hypnosis.

The parodies/satires they slipped in were great, especially the "alien autopsy" presented by The Stupendous Yappi.

I really like how the surviving Air Force officer wasn't sure if he was even there telling Mulder about everything. Was Lord Kinbote real? Was Roky's story true, or partially true, or just a bunch of lies? The Men in Black seemed to have hypnotized Mulder and Scully, but they still remembered most of what happened. Or might have happened. There was just too much in this epidsode to list, it's a real stand out for me.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that aired around the same time Fox aired that fake alien autopsy special, no?

11. Marsden

I think it was a just a month or so later.

Roswell! Roswell!

12. tomalak301

With all the mysteries that Mulder and Scully have to solve, there seems like barely any time to really get to know "them" as people, and how they tick. That's why when I saw Quagmire tonight (I promise I will finish this season eventually ;) ) the scene in the dark of night on the rock was my favorite part of the entire episode. We got a nice conversation with the two of them, using Moby Dick as an allegorical reference. As for the rest of the episode, it was pretty good, but I really wanted to spotlight this scene. It made the entire episode worth it.

13. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Started watching Season 8, and it isn't yet as bad as I remember. The first 9 episodes are watchable indeed.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah... he just looked like Alex Trebek!

15. tomalak301

Talitha Cumi/Herrenvolk

Finally finished season 3 and started Season 4 tonight. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake taking so long to finish this season because there are elements that I had to read up as a refresher to understand what was going on. Part of it too is the conspiracy angle seems to be so big now that there are just too many things going on.

With that said, I liked these two episodes. It was nice seeing the bounty hunter again, and we got to see one of the drone colonies again. Was a little surprised X was killed as he was a good character. I was a little confused by him, but he was a worthy successor to Deep Throat. Still, watching these episodes did we really learn anything new about the project, like the specifics? Everything is conspiracy after conspiracy and I almost feel slightly lost. Watching this show can be frustrating some times, but I'll stick with it.

16. tomalak301

Home

When I first started this thread (Was it really last year? Holy Smokes), I mentioned some episodes which looked creepy and disturbing really weren't, and there was one episode some of the posters highlighted to show what creepy and disturbing was. Well, I made it to said episode tonight, and, um, that was disturbingly weird. That family has some serious issues, but they might be one of the most insane families I've seen on TV or Movies. Hell, they put the Addams Family to shame, if you can believe that.

However, maybe I'm used to seeing some grotesque violence today, but I expected a little more. It seemed like the visual effects team were warned they were on Network TV and the Camera crews had to barely show the gruesomeness of the violence. For example, the Deputy got his head cut off but you don't really see it. And if you did, it was from the distance and the guy was more of a shadowy figure.

As for the episode, like I said, very disturbing but very X-Files.

Also, I found out there is an issue with texts on Netflix which is almost ruining the experience for me, You know during the theme how they always have something there, and most of the time it's "The Truth is Out There?" Well, for some insane reason, Netflix has taken that away, some when you get to that, you get the lightning bolt and then nothing. That explains why Hail Money (From Season 3) wasn't really a favorite episode of mine. You had long stretches where a lot of Chinese was spoken and no subtitles to see what they were saying. Thanks alot netflix. I didn't know you were allowed to Alter shows. And I just talked to them in a live chat and they said they were doing upgrades and you can't rush perfection? That's the first time I've felt Netflix just blatantly lied. Not good customer service when you lie to your customers. :rolleyes:

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"Home" is more disturbing to me for the incest factor (ick!) than anything they visually showed.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I think if Home aired today for the first time most people would yawn at most of it. But back when it aired there were lots of complaints. IIRC Fox even removed it from the initial syndication package and it was a few years before it was included. There's more disturbing stuff on NBC's Hannibal.

19. tomalak301

That entire family was disturbing. I did love the use of Johnny Mathis though, especially since I've had that song stuck in my head all morning. :lol:

20. tomalak301

I watched a few more episodes last night and maybe it's just me but Season 4 is not getting off to a strong start, not at least like Season 3. Of the three episodes I saw last night, the best one was "The Musings of the Cigarette Smoking Man" and that one felt just really odd. I'm glad we go to see Cancer Man more than a few times, but I'm not entirely sure we learned anything more about him, not to mention the episode implies that it wasn't authentic.

As for the first two episodes, The Field Where I died was boring and I couldn't buy the whole Mulder believing in past lives thing. This episode pretty much said Reincarnation is real, yet it didn't give us a reason why it was saying it. It was just Melissa and Mulder talking for long periods of time, and then it ended with the most depressing scene I've seen in any episode so far. The one about the Doctors and witchcraft was also kind of uninteresting, but mainly because I'm not a fan of these type of episodes.

So far my favorite episode of this season has been Unruhe, mainly for it's creepiness vibe and it actually reminded me somewhat of DS9's Darkness and the Light.