State of Languages in the Federation

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Grendelsbayne, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^Which may explain why Chekov believes everything is Russian in origin.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

She specifically says she's speaking English in Broken Bow (something like "I was instructed to speak English") after Hoshi tried to speak Vulcan to her.

I don't think we can extrapolate the extent that everyone speaks English on Earth, but it might be that English is advantageous to learn in Starfleet. I don't think it's ever entirely possible to reconcile the random times Klingon shows up, but I'd suggest that Worf is speaking English rather than being translated. Quark, on the other hand, apparently speaks no English and I suspect that the Bajorans (and Odo) are the same way.

Of course, it's a plot device done for convenience 95% of the time, so I wouldn't think too much about it.

3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Actually I think it would be save to assume that Odo speaks Cardassian, since he "grew up" in the lab of a cardassian scientist.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

If not, he is an officer of the Cardassian court, suggesting a higher degree of familiarity with Cardassian practices (including language).

5. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

There actually was an episode (the two-parter "Basics") where the crew was without UT, but Neelix and Kes were somehow still able to communicate normally. :wtf: Though in-universe I suppose it's possible that they both learned to speak perfect English by that point. Still, sloppy writing.