College Football 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by B.J., Aug 31, 2012.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

That has more to do with a 16 team conference sending 6 teams to the postseason, actually. And, there's no restriction on how many wildcard teams a division can send. With two spots, one division could (and has) fill both spots. I remember a season where the Colts won their division, and the Titans and Jaguars were the wildcard teams.

There are 120 FBS schools, and only 10 spots in BCS games. Plus, once your conference has sent two teams, the rest of the teams in your conference are all excluded, even if there are available "at-large" spots still unfilled.

2. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

It will only get worse when they go to the playoff, no rankings or polls, just a committee, likely corrupt, picking who goes where.

Sounds like a blast.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Well, at least then they'll have an answer to the Northern Illinois problem. :D

4. tighr

The problem I have is with any conference getting auto-bids. They should all be at-large. The so called "Big 6" conferences (really, its only 4 anyway) would all typically get at least one team in anyway, so the fact that they have guaranteed spots is what makes these matchups terrible.

Louisville? WISCONSIN?!? At least Florida State looks good on paper...

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

There was also that year the NFC North sent 3 teams to the playoffs.

I was responding more to the shitty team making it in when other, much better teams are not.

This whole BCS thing really confuses me, but then, so did the old way.

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll watch the occasional game on a Saturday afternoon if it's a couple of evenly matched teams, but I'm no big college football fan.

I'll take the Big East and ACC in hoops any day of the week, pigskin not so much. Hell, my alma mater is one of the plucky bracket buster mid-majors, yet haven't fielded a football team since before I was born.

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

USC gets to play Georgia Tech (6-7).

Yippee.

8. tighr

The NCAA should have stepped in, told GT to take a hike, and taken LaTech instead. It's a travesty that 9-3 LaTech stays home just because of what conference they are in. No team lower than them (8-4, 7-5, 6-6, or God-forbid 6-7) deserves in over a higher pctg team.

This one's on the NCAA for granting a waiver.

9. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Louisiana Tech is staying home because their AD screwed up royally.

10. tighr

While I agree that the AD should have taken the Indy Bowl, the Bowl system itself is at fault as well for relegating that shitty bowl to LaTech in the first place. They should have had better options.

The entire bowl system needs to be fixed. Going to a playoff is not going to solve the problem for those teams that don't make the playoffs... they deserve to have exhibition games against evenly matched quality opponents, games people want to see.

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with you there. Yippee, we get to have another plastering all over the field. :rolleyes:

Can we get rid of our coach now, PLEASE?!?

12. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, as anyone with a brain could've predicted, Orange Bowl tickets aren't selling:
    FSU's athletic department getting screwed by the NIU game is the last thing it needs, since it has to replace two defensive coaches (Stoops and the DE coach).

13. tighr

Yet these schools still cling to the bowl system like a life preserver, not realizing that the ocean is full of sharks.

It completely amazes me how these bowls are set up as "non-profit" entities, and then try and sell their tickets for MORE than an NFL game in the same stadiums.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reposting this from Misc:

My wife got to meet Auburn's new head football coach Gus Malzahn yesterday when he came by her school to talk with a student who has committed there. She's an Auburn alum, so she was rather giddy about getting to meet him face-to-face.
    [​IMG]

15. Neroon

Johnny Football wins the 2012 Hypesman Award.

Yeah, I'm a little bit jaded about the award, but even so I like the choice. Any of the three finalists would have been worthy winners, really. Manziel is still a great choice, imho

16. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I also like the choice. A lot of people are voicing their complaints, ranging from things like race (which is weird, considering the last three winners were all African-American), thinking Te'o only lost because he plays defense, he only won the Heisman because of one game (vs. Alabama), and just a general disdain for the SEC.

The Heisman has ALWAYS been a popularity contest. Johnny Manziel has been the most talked about player in the country, particularly since after Texas A&M beat Alabama. Personally, I think that win combined with the record-breaking statistics he put up sufficiently qualified him. I'm still bitter about Charles Woodson winning over Peyton Manning in '97, to the point of cheering against the Packers simply because Woodson plays for Green Bay, but what that vote came down to ultimately was whose team won against their fiercest conference foe. Michigan beat Ohio State on the way to a share of the national championship, while Tennnessee lost to Florida (AGAIN!), making Peyton 0 for 4 against the Gators. There's no way Woodson would have won otherwise. As for last night, the award was Colin Klein's to lose... and he lost it as soon as Kansas State lost to Baylor and he had his worst game of the year in terms of individual stats.

17. tighr

I agree. Manziel deserved the award over both of the other finalists. Manziel deserved the award over the next 9 finalists. It stands to reason that Manziel deserved the award over all other football players this year, and not because of his popularity, but because he did what the award requires him to do: be the "most outstanding player in collegiate football".

Te'o lost the award (and was ranked higher than he should be) because he really was not that outstanding of a player. He had intangibles, sure. But the award isn't about his intangibles, its about his accomplishments on the field. He only had 9 takeaways, several of which were on tipped passes that he was in the right place at the right time. He did not score a single touchdown on any of those takeaways (which to me is a real travesty). I think had he scored a pick-6 even ONE time, that may have been the fuel needed to push him over the edge and win. But there are special teams players, punt returners, kickoff returners who did more impressive things than Te'o did.

As far as Klein, Manziel had a statistically better season than Klein in every column other than record. Since they play the same position, that's a fair comparison.

18. Neroon

Manziel's biggest detriment is that he went 1-2 against ranked competition. In those two losses he was very average. Still, in my mind he was outstanding for several reasons in the biggest game, against the #1 team at the time. I would sincerely have been happy with any of the three fine young men who were finalists, but I am happiest with Manziel winning.

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

ESPN is reporting that Matt Barkley will not play in the Sun Bowl against Georgia Tech due to his continuing shoulder injury.

It's sad to see his college career end the way it did.

20. Neroon

Yeah, it is. Here's hoping he can overcome the negatives from this year and make a good pro career. It's going to be harder, given the lower draft stock... but maybe the lower expectations will help. :shrug: