Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rowan Sjet, Jul 6, 2009.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Naw, you don't need them to get the achievements if you use the console command.

I admit, I bought the PC version just to get a free 1000+ points. :lol:

2. Annoiu

Annoiu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Each of those broadcasts added a quest to your journal. Just make the quest active then find the marker on your world map.

3. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

^I wish I had known that before I bought it. I made it to "The Pitt" and of course I got killed. I am back in the wasteland and I think I will try that Operation Anchorage mission tomorrow when I get home from work.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

What I found to be a good approach for 'The Pitt' is to strip down to light armour (raider/merc) and only take a few light weapons (hunting rifle, SMG, sledgehammer.)
    I initially did it that way because I'd read that you loose your weapons fairly quickly and I didn't want to risk permanently loosing anything of value, though as it turns out you do eventually get everything back. Still, it made the game feel "new" again, leaving all my heavy gear back in Megaton, including all but 50 caps, a couple sim packs and 100 rounds each of 10mm & .32, even though cash, meds & ammo weigh nothing. Forcing myself to deal with limited resources really improved the experience IMO.

One of the main problems with Fallout 3 is just how easy it is to get far more gear than you could ever use and it renders the vendors and traders next to useless. In fact my "main" character (I have 3) has well over 43,000 caps, enough components and spare guns to build or repair dozens of weapons and at least five of every non-unique armour. When I loot enemies now, I don't even bother with anything other than the ammo and the fingers since I really don't need the cash.
    If nothing else it'd be nice to just have something expensive to spend your caps on, like another house in Canterbury Commons or a way to customise your gear.
    One of the minor disappointments I had was the lack of a hunting sidequest. I remember in FO1 I had lots of fun hunting gekkos for their pelts. It'd be nice if you could find a use for Yao Guai hide or maybe sell meat to one of the kitchens. Perhaps even the ability to lay down bait and traps.

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have actually stopped playing the game right at the end of it because i had leveled up to level 20 and that as far as it goes without that add on.....I'm waiting for the game of the year edition with all the DLC on sale..........yes i know I'm a cheap bugger.:lol:

Great game though, i was gob smacked standing on that top veranda in the flats watching my nuke go off.:eek:

6. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know how anyone can credibly make that claim, because frankly it just isn't true.

Even the leanest F3 DLC - Operation Anchorage - contains a good 2-4 hours of quest content, unique loot and a hefty expansion of the Fallout lore, and every DLC since has been quite bit bigger and a lot longer. Broken Steel reopens the game world after the ending, takes the story further, populates the landscape with new sidequests and NPCs (as well as the 3 big story missions, which are quite reasonable in length).

Whether they're worth the money is up to you, of course, but personally each one was 800msp well spent with no regrets. Either way, Horse Armour just isn't a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

7. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree here,all the DLC has been worth having.
    I am still using the winterized suit from Operation Anchorage.

8. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty much agreed.

This game is awesome so it's fairly easy to overlook the few flaws.

9. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're still paying more than you should for what you get. I miss the days when you could spend $30 on an expansion for say ... Neverwinter Nights ... and get a good 30-40 hours of play time out of it. These DLC packs just seem like a way to get people to double dip to me. Just look at how they're already releasing them in packs and a GOTY edition.

10. Jim Steele

^

I did say that whether they're worth the money or not is down to the individual, we differ on that but hey, fair enough. I think the packs have been well worth it, and pretty much the same ratio of cash/content as the main game (retail at launch).

Likening them to Horse Armour, however, is entirely fatuous and objectively untrue. Knights of the Nine is a much more fitting comparison.

11. Trubinator

What can I say, I like to exaggerate to make my point =)

At least you thought your money was well spent...

12. Jim Steele

Yup, it must be 'cos I'm one of those console owning morons, huh?

:rolleyes:

13. Trubinator

I own a console too. I just don't completely write off PC stuff as elitist. Using both and drawing comparisons, I find console material to be relatively simple. Nothing wrong with that interpretation, especially given that's how console games are marketed.

14. Jim Steele

Do you think that's my position or are you just throwing it out there?

Ach, never mind this nonsense. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree about 100% of everything. ;)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  15. Trubinator

Not true. We agree on the DVD/Blu-ray situation and high-def TV. But wait, I just disagreed that we disagree about everything! :lol:

16. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I finished Operation Anchorage, but I wish it was longer. I was hoping to drive one of those Chinese tanks. I am in the pitt now and just finished the ingot mission. I was entering the arena for a gladiator battle when all of a sudden my screen turned orange and the game locked up. I dont know what happened because the XBOX360 is working fine.

17. Commander Vaughn

Commander Vaughn Vice Admiral Admiral

^The Pitt has been known for it's glitchy-ness. It froze up on me a couple of times too. But I was able to get through it in the end.

For a second I thought my 360 was going to die again. It's about that time of the year again. I've had one die in August of 2007 and July of 2008.