FARSCAPE returning to DVD!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Johnny Rico, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As you all may know, Farscape, along with Andromeda, were products of ADV Films that were released in multi-volume sets for each season. A very inefficient way of releasing TV shows on DVD. Not to mention that ADV had a terrible knack of having bad Q&C by putting out product with bad discs. It seemed liek they had a stack of specific discs to use for a certain specific disc in a set and when the whole stack was bad, every copy of that volume had a bad disc in it. (I exchanged Andromeda v4.3 at least 4 times before I got a good disc out of a butchered Complete Series set when I called ADV directly.)

Anyway, according to TVShowsOnDVD is now reporting that A&E (a division of the History Channel) has picked up the rights to the show for its 10th Anniversary. It will be releasing individual complete season sets as well as a Complete Series set, in November.

This is great, as I never did get a good Disc 2 for the Vol. 2.3 of the Starburst set. So I'm thinking that I may splurge for the full series set. For the possibility to save some shelf space if nothing else.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I bought all the original release DVDs back in the day and spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY on them. It was like $30 for every 4-episode set. Good thing I was a teenager and had no concept of finances yet.

I've never had a problem with any of the DVDs, but I might consider buying the full series set. Do you have any idea if "The Peacekeeper Wars" will be included?

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Good, I never got to buy them before.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I thought Sony had the rights now. Regardless, I already have the entire series in the form of the Starburst Sets, although I may replace my season one sets (they're on the dreaded double sided discs) if the price is right, and the features are replicated.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dreaded? Why?

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Quality control problems. The double sided discs have skipping issues, and many shipped damaged. Although ADV is no saint of DVD releases, they're not the only ones who have run into trouble with double sided DVDs. I was somewhat lucky--only "DNA Mad Scientist" has any playback issues. The single sided DVDs have a far better track record.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I will be VERY interested to see what the price breakdown is here, as well as what extras there might be on them. I'd really like to replace my S1 set, as they are those annoying dual-sided discs which Harvey has already alluded to. Heck, it might be worth it jsut to get single-sided regardless of the extras.. :scream:

8. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd imagine that we'd get the full series set for around $130 or so. Maybe even less.. The season sets, I'd bet would go for about $30 each. I have no idea, but I can't imagine any studio pricing any season or series set much more than those figures these days.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

ADV sold the Starburst sets for $15-25 each (that's $45-75 per season). I wouldn't be surprised if these new sets debuted at perhaps $40 on sale, with a SRP upwards of twice that (or even more).

Hopefully the extras on the Starburst sets (including the many commentary tracks and other carried over features from the previous sets) are retained here. And hopefully some new commentaries are recorded, especially for "Mind the Baby," "Terra Firma," and a number of other important episodes.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A&E, eh? So they'll probably be as expensive as ever... Still, I'm tempted, especially if it's a good quality set.

11. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Boy, thank god I taped all the episodes on my VCR back in the day. I have every single episode except for 1X21 for some reason.

13. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Nice. I already have them, but the discs are falling apart. I hope they remaster them.

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

so this is just them trying to sell new DVDs, not any new episodes?

15. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Yes, although apparently the webisodes might still happen.

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I hope they get to use at least some of the extras from the original discs. Also, I loved that they had both versions of the season two premiere (RE:Union and Dream a Little Dream) on the original release - would love to see that happen again.

17. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have two important questions:

1. Will the Complete Series set include The Peacekeeper Wars?
    2. Will they release a Blu-ray edition?

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Hmm. I'll pick up the complete series if the price is right. Haven't gotten any of this show yet.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oh, hell yes. I bought the very first Farscape DVD that came with the first two episodes, but then I stopped after that when I realized it would cost way too much to buy the whole series. Then I missed out on the Starburst Editions. Farscape is one of my favorite shows of all time, so this is a definite buy for me.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I caved and bought the Region 2 complete series box set a while back, so I'm good for Farscape on DVD. Good new for anyone that doesn't have them yet, though.