The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ChuckPR

ChuckPR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly!

So I take it from your first paragraph that as of yet there are no wholely convincing plug-ins to convincingly make the characters less "3D-ish"(for want of a better term) and make organics appear to have been drawn more conventionally.

2. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

I have to admit something that I never thought I would: TAS is my favorite of all Trek and I had never seen any episodes until I got he boxed set for Christmas last year.

Yes, it's that good and it grew on me in a way that I can't explain.

DS9 will always be my favorite live action and I'll always love all of my other incarnations of Trek (yes, even ENT and VOY) but TAS is in a different league for me and I hope it starts getting some of the recognition it so richly deserves.

No, I'm not kidding and I don't care if anyone thinks I'm weird.

-Shawn :borg:

3. ChuckPR

ChuckPR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TAS was extremely well done.

What they were able to squeeze into 24 minutes of storytelling was incredible.

And it was done at a time when there was still an excellent pool of writing talent in existence - not to mention the episodes that were done by former TOS writers.

To me, the problems that have always plaqued later Trek's was poor writing, and the fact that a not so good writer got ahold of control of the franchise.

But the problem is not unique to Trek.
    Decent writers in Hollywood are few and far between. Which is probably why we are getting so much of these reality shows: No writers required, for the most part.

Maybe it's due to a decline in the quality of our schools - though good writers historically haven't necessarily owed their skills to typical classwork.

Maybe we're starting to see the results of decades worth of anti-intellectualism

and an American popular culture that ridicules people for being smart rather then encouraging and respecting true academic achievment.

The people who wrote for TOS and TAS grew up in an America where children were raised to be competitive. Terms like pride and shame really meant something and people were taught to earn recognition.

Whatever the reasons for the decline in decent writers, you need not apologize nor feel weird for liking TAS.

What those writers were able to do with 24 minutes of storytelling was, and still is - incredible! :)

4. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

*BUMP*

I think there are a few causes.

First, I think the biggest problem is that back in 1973 there were only 3 networks on TV period. Now we have 5 major networks (What the hell, I'll include the CW in there) and hundreds of cable channels that all offer original programming. The rate of expansion in television has surpassed the rate of expansion of the U.S. population by leaps and bounds and therefore I believe that the talent pool is just spread thin.

The other part of it is the changing attitudes and consumer tastes. For some unknown reason CSI is still one of the most popular shows (and it's got 2 successful spinoffs, no less) and aside from the bogus science, the writing is pure drivel. But that's what the people want, right now so the bar has been lowered. That and the fact that half the shows on TV are reality shows that only require concept fruition and no creative storytelling (I'm not criticizing it, I'm just stating the facts) and the people eat it up (me too, and I admit it). I think the birth of the reality shows is simply a reaction to a limited amount of good writers in Hollywood to keep up with the demand of these hundreds of channels.

So there really isn't much of a call for it right now and Trek's problem over the last 10 years is they've been creating product for a mid 1980's to mid 1990's audience that doesn't translate to this generation and frankly hasn't been compelling enough to hold anyone's attention.

But I digress...

-Shawn :borg:

5. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Saw a comedian once who summed up reality TV in one sentence..."talent has been replaced by willingness".

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Still trying to find some time to work on the project - 2 weeks until I'm permanently settled back home. Yayy! - but I've been trying to nail down some small details. I found a reasonably decent set of TOS uniforms for Poser, but they were slightly off in the mapping, so instead of dealing with misapplied 'decals' for the insignia, I modeled the badges in Lightwave :wtf:. So here are a couple test renders; I still need to work on the sleeve braids. Of course, these are neither Kirk nor Rand (despite her obvious hair; plus, Rand never appeared in TAS, afaik). The bridge set is my Poser conversion and remodel of SeanR's excellent Lightwave model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Okay, no one else will say this so I'll say it.

Ptrope, your captain has man boobs.

8. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Well, yeah ... but so did Kirk, sometimes ;)

9. Kendric2000

Kendric2000 Commander Red Shirt

How did the men work if the woman uniforms fit like that? YEEOWZA!

:alienblush:

10. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

It must have been very cold on the bridge when that yeoman was imaged. :eek:

Too true! And I apologize; I should have leavened my barb with some honey and started by complimenting you on that bridge--it's one honey of a set! Your conversion and modifications are spot-on, and seanr's original is of course splendiferous.

As for the captain... well, maybe the tunic is just blousing out in an inopportune location...?!

11. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Damn. Why do I get the feeling that's what yeomans are going to look like in ST XI? Hollywood, and all.

That aside, one tweak you might want to make to the Bridge is to lower the bottom ledge of the viewscreen, and re-size the screen appropriately. It's a little too "letterbox". The original was more "pan & scan".

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

You know, you may be right there, Ziz! The screen was one element I haven't really modified from SeanR's model, and I was caught between liking it "widescreen[/i] and wondering how it was done without throwing off the other bridge elements; it never even occurred to me that the bottom edge was too high! :cardie: Damn! I really wanted to make that little tweak, but I guess, this time, I'll go for making it more accurate, instead ;). (And, Professor Moriarty, it was actually your "Doomsday Machine" clip of Kirk walking in front of the screen that opened my eyes just now!)

BTW, Professor, thanks for the compliment! Even though I've done a lot of work to it, I had a really good starting place :bolian:

13. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Wow! I want more pictures of the yeoman! Close up and personal!

:drool:

14. Capt_Jason

Capt_Jason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My only gripe with this young lady is...shouldn't she be wearing nude rather than coffee? :cool:

15. Griffworks

Griffworks Commander Red Shirt

If anyone here should know the bridges, it's Ziz. How long you been working on that ultimate bridge again, John? At least five years, right? If anyone knows his stuff about the bridge it's you. :)

16. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

:lol: Fashion tips?

Hey, maybe I'm just used to seeing Uhura's legs so much :). Wait'll you see my tunic/skirt alternate uniform ;)

EDIT: Actually, as I'm now watching "Dagger of the Mind," Helen Nöel :drool: has rather dark hose, along with an equally-tight and even more revealing uniform. Trek was always pretty risqué with its women :thumbsup:

17. Capt_Jason

Aye sir! I am most humbly offering you some legware tips! :cool:

A visual aid:

[​IMG]

Here, Commander Jo Harris models her striking Star Fleet Science blue mini-dress. :drool:

An alternate skirt/tunic? This should be interesting. . .

18. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I believe this is a typo. It should read "Shouldn't she be nude, drinking coffee"

:bolian:

19. Capt_Jason

No sir! I object most strenuously to that interjection! Bare legs, whether they be robed or no, are BORING! :cool:

20. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Really! :eek: I always had you down as too much of a family man to be making comments like that! :lol: