The early seasons :

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Cascades, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Cascades

Cascades Ensign Red Shirt

Hey there all,

I was wondering after rewatching season one of DS9, why do people so hate seasons one, two, and sometimes three? Just looking for different opinions :) :bolian:

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I personally don't think the early seasons are bad. It's just that they aren't as serialized as the later seasons, not delving into the major conflicts of DS9. That's why, I think, they aren't as appreciated as other seasons like 4, 5, 6, and 7.

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they were in a TNG-like formula for much of the early seasons. And while that wasn't bad, the character and story arcs which became more prevalent in the seasons that followed worked far better for DS9. In my opinion. :)

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 had a better season 1 than TNG, and Duet was perhaps the best regular season 1 episode (non-pilot, non-cliffhanger) of any Trek series since 1987. IMO, only Shuttlepod One comes close.

5. AverageWriter

AverageWriter Lieutenant Red Shirt

I myself loved the early seasons of DS9.

To me, the show felt "right" from the beginning- the characters seemed comfortable with who they were. There certainly weren't many of the early season problems of TNG- certainly nothing like "Code of Honor". :)

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't get it either. I think DS9 had a stronger season 1 and 2 than TNG and Voyager. That's not to say there weren't duds, but nowhere near as many as people make out.

And DS9 didn't just "get better"...it specifically built on the foundations of season 1 and 2. They weren't treading-water seasons, they were seed-planting seasons. ...Mostly.

Mixed metaphors for da win! ;)

7. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

Avery had hair on his head.

Once that changed - game on.

8. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

``Allamaraine, count to four!''

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm not ashamed to admit that "Move Along Home" is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I'd rather watch that than "Meridian" or "Let He Who is Without Sin."

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

For me, seasons one and two are DS9's finest. Later, as "the war" arc is introduced and then painfully drawn out to the point of extreme tedium, the show goes down hill. Episodes like "Take Me Out To The Holosuite" were a welcome relief.

11. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Me too :D

I certainly don't hate early DS9 seasons. They're not as good as the later ones, but I don't skip them when rewatching, or sometimes I choose of of those eps to watch. Recently I felt like watching the Circle trilogy again.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  12. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

While I love all of the seasons about equally for different reasons I can kinda see why some people might not like the first two that much. But i've never understood why some people are down on the third season, I think it's every bit as good as season four.

13. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    On my journey through the DS9 series, just finished Season 3 last night, starting 4 today.

I didn't mind the first 3 seasons. As said already though, it did really seem like it was sticking to the TNG format, and imo that just kinda made a bit of it stale. But overal, I've really enjoyed the stories in the first three! I've come to see Klingons in a different light! And I have a new love for Ferangies lol.
    I am looking forward to seeing what the following seasons have in store!

*I have seen all the series before, but it's been a long time since I've watched them all besides TNG. This is the second time really watching DS9, but the first Ive been able to watch the whole series through every episode. Will be the same for Voyager.

14. PaleMoonlight

PaleMoonlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I always thought 3 was widely regarded as classic, and where the show really began to get off the ground? The Search, Defiant etc....seasons 1 and 2 have some really strong ones like Duet, In the Hands of the Prophets, the Circle trilogy, the Jem Hadar....

15. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Me three.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I look at it his way:

Season one is one great episode and a lot of terrible ones.
    Season two is a few good episodes a few okay episode and a lot of terrible ones.
    Season Three is a few great episodes a few good episodes and a lot of terrible ones.

Season four and on, then, is best described as a few great episodes, a lot of good ones, and a few terrible ones.

17. AverageWriter

Wow, really? Only one great episode?

I guess my standards are different. I absolutely loved Emissary (I count 1 and 2 as two shows). I thought it was one of the strongest "starts" to a Trek series since The Cage. Then we jumped right in with the excellent "Past Prologue", which not only set up a fantastic amount of exposition and backstory for Kira but also brought us the intriguing Garak. And we kept on running with A Man Alone, an incredible Odo-centered show. I will admit, I hated Babel and Q-Less (despite Q being one of my favorite characters), but the show picked up again with "Dax"- ANOTHER excellent character-oriented ep. From that point on, the only bad episodes we got were the DREADFUL, vomit-inducing "If Wishes Were Horses" and "The Forsaken".

All in all, when you really look at it, that means... roughly 16 out of 20 episodes of the first season were excellent. To me, that's pretty damned good.

18. PaleMoonlight

PaleMoonlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I watched Whispers and The Wire again last night, forgot all about those, very good ones from the early years

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Farrell was such a non-presence in this episode, I find it difficult to call it a character study. Great banter on how justice applies to the individual, and I love how the line "he was in my bed" was delivered with a combination of gusto and shame. However it would have made no difference if Dax had been absent.

20. AverageWriter

Bad Thoughts-
    I'm having a difficult time understanding what you mean by "being a non presence". Could you expound on that? Are you referring to Farrell's acting, or about the script itself?