Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by gomtuu20, Oct 5, 2010.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Incorrect. The real answer is that there are hate-filled people in this world who simply want to dump on others because it makes them feel big. My dad and my brother are two excellent examples. They both used to tell me how stupid and worthless I was because I liked Star Trek AND treated women with respect (in other words, I didn't bed them then kick them out, but that's a whole other story), while ironically ignoring the fact that my dad watched TOS and my brother enjoyed TNG.

Of course, they also told me I was a closed minded asshole because I don't drink beer or shoot heroin, but I ignored that.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a fun family. And you think the entire world is like this, or that people have this stereotypical image of Trekkies because they are hate-filled? I disagree.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Geeez! I've know individuals like that. I've always given them a heartfelt FU for their obvious stupidity and ignorance.

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't know about hate-filled exactly. I just donn't know how else to describe the feelings that I have encountered because I like Star Trek. My dad and brother was just one example. But I do think that people put Star Trek fans down because it makes them feel big.

We do NOT bring it on ourselves. I don't buy that. It's not like I go around advertising that I like Star Trek, but if asked, I don't deny it.

5. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

It's similar to the reactions to D&D players years ago, though that reaction was worse, intensified, and shorter in duration.
    I've also seen it with things like Grateful Dead music. There are these stock reactions that people collectively have. With the Grateful Dead, the story goes that everyone was on LSD all of the time, and that they played horrible, shitty music with their instruments out of tune. When a local Radio Shack was demoing speakers with the Grateful Dead's "Help on the Way", a woman kept asking who it was. It sounded like Paul McCartney to her. The store clerks had no clue. I told her twice it was Jerry Garcia & the GD and she wouldn't believe it.
    Similar astonishment upon playing some of the Dead's country and folk numbers with sublime guitar solos and beautiful harmony.

In short people still like to pick on geeks, well past high school, but the joke is always on them.

6. gomtuu20

gomtuu20 Commander Red Shirt

Have you heard this phrase coming out of the open-mouthed, bottom-feeders "Star Trek is stupid, I don't understand it"?

7. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, I can respect people who judge something as stupid even though it's incomprehensible to them. Because I feel the same way about most pop music.

8. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never endured any more than a little good-natured ribbing as a teenager about my Trekiness, so I can't relate to your situation as far as that goes. And I brought that on myself, by wearing Trek shirts, Kirk/Spock for president in '92 buttons on my jacket, and dressing as a vulcan on Halloween. Of course people were going to say something. It's ridiculous.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's what I almost typed! :lol:

10. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

In the 70s, I was smart enough NOT to wear any overtly Trek items to school..

The Star Wars tee shirts were far more publicly acceptable... but I wore my Star Trek belt buckle every day..no one noticed...

But hey, I've seen those "Twilight" fans get teased at the local schools...

So we're not alone..

11. Sigh

Sigh Lieutenant Red Shirt

I won't get started on Twilight...