how many of you realy like the TOS tv show

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by kennysmith, Jun 3, 2013.

1. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

And the thing is it must have made some sort of difference if we are still watching it almost 50 years later. I, like many others on this BBS still watch it all the time. I just finished doing a complete rewatch yet when I am flicking through the TV channels, if I stumble across an episode I invariably stop flicking and watch. I think that says something about the timelessness of the episodes. Yeah, it's dated (and that is one thing I don't really care about because I lived during those years), but the essence of the show continues.

TZ, I didn't realize you hadn't discovered TOS so late. Nice.

There are many aspects of TOS to look at. Despite its age, many of the themes are just as relevant today as they were back then. The meaning of many of the episodes is continually evolving - depending on what is happening out there in the real world.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eventually it's cud chewing.. but it's thrilling to me that the music in TOS evokes such strong emotions after all these years. Every single time.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't. I think it's extremely dated and cheesy. For me, Star Trek starts with the movies. TOS is interesting background information about the characters, and I imagine it with the production value and design of the films, meaning that for example the Enterprise always looked like the TMP Enterprise, inside out.

4. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am 30 but also a new fan of TOS. I mean I watched it before but I only became really engrossed with the series recently. Not exactly sure what caught me now that didn't before. I always liked science fiction/fantasy and classic film and television (in fact compared to some of the things I enjoy Star Trek isn't even that old) .

I also never minded dated effects as I think story is more important. I also feel today's effects are kind of boring anyways because it is all done by computers. Of course it is going to look more impressive & real but there is less imagination behind it too.

And yes even some elements of the story might seem dated too only because by now we have seen these same concepts so many times. But taking at the time that Star Trek was made those story elements were fresh and new. Looking at the original series in a historical context it is by far the most interesting to me for this very reason. Not that the original series was perfect and some of it's issues were due to the limitation of 1960's television, but for 1960's television it was a pretty creative and original show. It also had a very hopeful outlook for the future (which is definitely different from a lot of science fiction).

Finally though what probably pulled me in is I really just love the main three characters, how iconic they are, logic vs emotion, and their friendship. I am especially partial to McCoy. As a kid I was familiar with Kirk/Spock but somehow I overlooked Bones. Not sure why because now I absolutely love him.

So bottom line yes not only do I really like TOS, it's my favorite.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hmm. I've never actually heard TOS pronounced "toss."

Most people I know say "Tee-Oh-Ess."

(Just like TNG is "Tee-Enn-Gee.")

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Toss and Tink.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, I see. And "wank" is used freely around here.

8. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

How interesting. I doubt I've heard anyone pronounce it, because most people I know would just say "Star Trek". Reading it off the page, it's a pronouncable acronym in the way that TNG isn't, so my brain reads it as "tos". So I'm glad it isn't pronounced like that. You learn something new every day.

9. Greg Cox

The abbreviations are useful when comparing and contrasting the various different flavors of Trek, as in "Combadges weren't around in TOS. They were invented in TNG. And, by the way, how is your new DS9 novel going?"

And, for the record, I've never heard anyone try to pronounce "DS9".

It's always "Dee-Ess-Nine."

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Yes, but why would someone mention something making a difference in your life if it didn't change it ?

11. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Again interesting. In conversation, I've rarely if ever met anyone who would actually say "TOS" or "T-O-S". Most people of my acquaintance wanting to make the distinction between the various series, say "original Star Trek" or "classic Star Trek", something like that. Or even "the original series" spoken in full like that. We usually say "Next Generation" or even "NextGen" rather than TNG; "Deep Space 9" or "DS9" (I'll give you that.) And Voyager is always "Voyager". Does anyone actually say "VOY" even if they write it like that?

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Being British, I must admit I've automatically read and silently pronounced "Toss" whenever I've seen the TOS acronym on these forums. I never even considered others would be hearing "tee-oh-ess"! Damn, I'm such a tosser! :lol:

13. Greg Cox

Not in my experience. It's always "Voyager."

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks to all the time spent on this forum I do say TOS and VOY and ENT as words, not letters. Have to stop myself sometimes since most people don't refer to Star Trek that way.

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I am revisiting TOS right now. To be honest I'm just soldiering through them at this point. My gauge is that about 1 out of every 5 episodes is "good." I grew up on TNG so there is no nostalgia factor to outweigh the bad episodes.

16. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I love it! It is in my top 5 TV Shows of all time.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I saw TOS when I was really young and TNG when I was relatively young, so nostalgia plays a part when I view both series. The thing I've noticed with TOS even during bad episodes is that I'm never bored, I definitely can't say the same thing about TNG.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, my experience is about the same as yours.

19. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I grew up when TNG was on so I am not nostalgic for the original series either and yet from watching episodes of both TNG and TOS now I prefer TOS (although I still enjoy TNG).

Don't get me wrong TOS has many bad episodes but I think it has many good episodes too. And I think even some bad episodes are enjoyable to me because of fun moments between the characters.

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

To paraphrase The Companion, "TOS must continue; it is...part of me."