Let's get back to Roddenberry's trek

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by LancerKind, Apr 28, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Here's my Star Trek (TOS) purity list:

* Kirk is the big risk, big reward leader.
    * Spock is the logical dude who offers logical solutions to problems but has a volatile personality just below the surface.
    * McCoy is emotion. He offers emotional responses and solutions to challenges the crew faces. He is an MD.
    * Scott is the fix-it man. There to overcome the technical challenges of the Enterprise.
    * The Enterprise, a kick-ass starship that is the envy of the whole fucking galaxy.

Put it all in a sci-fi, action-adventure blender and serve generously.

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The last one, mostly.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Are you telling God what and what not to do? :rommie:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone has to, the bastard has completely screwed up.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God died in Star Trek V.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair a TOS type show would probably work on TV these days. So 60s Roddenberry trek is still workable.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^Only as a retro-orientated fan show like Phase II. In today's TV market, straight TOS would sink like a lead zeppelin.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah if it was straight TOS. But if its updated like JJ Abrams has done to it, it works.

I mean lets be serious other than updating the cheese out is Abramstrek really that much different that the source material?

10. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I am not so sure that a retro series wouldn't work. Retro stuff looks great to me and I am not even much of a TOS fan.

11. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have accepted a long time ago that the Trek I grew up with is gone, it's not coming back.

JJ Trek IS just popcorn action films, that's what sells now.

I enjoy the new movies for what they are, but the pioneer spirit, the ethics, the exploration is done. People don't want it.

It's a shame but that's just the way it is.

Anyone who misses "Star Trek" and isn't 100% satisfied with "JJ Trek" I suggest getting into the Star Trek books because the spirit lives on in those.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I agree, but I'm not as down about it as you are.

Firstly, the Roddenberry vision didn't prove that great - it was OK for TOS but the movies and TNG only got good after Gene got the boot. He'd have had a blue fit about DS9, and that's the best Trek out there imho.

JJ Trek is like it is, because it's 'The Movies' and that's how movies are nowadays. Any new TV show would probably be a lot closer to Trek as we know it.

Anyhow, the continuation novels are fantastic !

13. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah certainly a lot of what came after Gene handed over the reigns was different, more of an evolution imo.

JJ Trek is more slimmed down, it's not bad at all but it doesn't engage my imagination the same way as TOS-TNG-DS9 did.

I think maybe if they do a new TV show i'd be interested because they'd have some ongoing story arcs and it couldn't just be battles and explosions and chase scenes non-stop.

"real trek" at the movies was always hit and miss, what they have going now is safe but ultimately successful

14. R. Star

I definitely have to agree that Star Trek got better once Roddenberry wasn't suppressing the writing talent. The JJverse isn't really my thing, but I can see why some would like it. Far too effects dependent for my tastes.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

He didn't. The only thing Roddenberry insisted on was that by the time of TNG our heroes spend more time fighting bad guys than each other. Half-way though the first season, he turned over the reins to Berman and stepped back into a supervisory role (primarily okaying what Berman was doing).

16. R. Star

I guess it's just a pure coincidence that TNG got substantially better once the Roddenberry box was lifted?

17. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    You honestly think TNG got better after Roddenberry passed on the reigns???

The characters lost their souls. They didn't care about each other. Under Roddenberry the members of the USS Enterprise were family. Berman turned the ship into a cold, corporate work place.

They were one-dimensional characters that served nothing but to advance the plot.

And how about a little philosophy with your science fiction? You didn't see it under Berman. Berman era writers could barely write a plot let alone put some meaning into it.

Watch an episode of ENT and tell me that's not true.

Now, what I intended to post:

Star Trek is like fine art in this respect: there are many Cubists but only one Pablo Picasso. With Picasso dead we will never see Cubism created at such a high level. Same with Star Trek: Roddenberry died and took Star Trek with him. Such is the nature of creativity.

Enjoy what he left us.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Were we watching the same shows?

I'm a big fan of TOS. TNG, not so much. But your characterization of the "Berman era" doesn't ring very true.

19. R. Star

Apparently Anji's watching a different show than us. You want "cold" characters with "lost souls" that are "one-dimensional" that would seem to sum up season 1 of TNG rather accurately to me.

I'll concede that Enterprise's characterization was completely lacking on so many levels, but the post-Roddenberry TNG and DS9 was Trek's finest hour in my opinion.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It was lifted half-way through TNG's first season (not the third season, but midpoint of the first). It was really Berman's show from that far back in the series.

If TNG got "substantially better", it had more to do with Michael Piller signing on as executive producer by season three than Berman.