A thought about Turnabout Intruder

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr_Homn, May 17, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And she is the one giving the orders once Pike is captured in both The Cage and The Menagerie. :techman:

2. Octubre

Octubre Ensign Red Shirt

It's interesting we saw in TOS alien women in "positions of power" - T'Pau, Natira, Losira, Deela, Romulan Commander - but we barely see there human women. Not very great for humans and Starfleet...

3. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, when you've been around as long as I have you learn that most of what we “know” is really just what we think we know; there are precious few certainties in life.
    Just speaking from my own experience though, I routinely teeter between genius and insanity, so for me it's defiantly a truism. :p

4. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

But, how would you know you're insane, if you're insane? And don't say, "Because I'm a genius!!"

A guiding principle in my life is "Everything you know is wrong". Because a huge chunk of it always is, especially the stuff "everybody knows".

Thank you, Mr. Zip Code.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The small hat constructed of tin foil is often an important clue.

:)

6. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Wasn't that mainly because writers wanted to have Kirk (or Spock) "interacting" with alien females.

By the way, David Gerrold IIRC always thought it was ridiculous that alien women would be so likely to find a human male attractive

7. Octubre

Octubre Ensign Red Shirt

Good point. I don't think though it was necessary being leaders for interacting with protagonists, they could make them leader's daughters/wives if they wanted that. Besides, not all those women "interacted" with them in romantical way.
    I find that and the opposite strange too, but it doesn't seem so weird when those "aliens" are exactly like humans, what happens a lot.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Not me. The one constant in human nature is this: If a man discovers something his penis will fit into, he'll try to fuck it.

It's true. That's why so many men are caught with their dicks stuck in swimming pool suction fittings each year. :lol:

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Stereotype much?

10. Admiral James Kirk

Being a man, I think I can stereotype men all I want. :p

11. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Irrelevant to TOS. Released almost 20 years after TOS was cancelled.

12. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Seriously, you guys don't see any anomaly with that episode? Would you say it was representative of the Star Trek universe portrayed in the rest of the series?

During the teaser in Turnabout Intruder, Janice says to Kirk "Your world of star ship captains doesn't admit women ... It's not fair!" And Kirk replies to her "No it isn't." What does Kirk's reply tell us?

13. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That he's just humoring the nutcase because he knows it's useless to argue with her.

14. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The themes of the episode are reflective of the times.

Lester was batshit insane any way you cut it, and basically murdered her whole team to put herself in position to switch places with Kirk, who she then intended to murder immediately after.

In true Trek fashion, the episode did call the whole 'boy's club' aspect of society into question. Because despite the fact that Lester didn't deserve to be there, it made people stop and ask: 'but what if she happened to be as trained, sane, and qualified as Kirk? What then?'

Rowdy Roddy McDowall likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:techman:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. He's pitying her, nothing more. She will not accept anything, no matter how true, that doesn't conform to her insane fantasy.

And remember the exact words she uses: YOUR world. Not THE world. Not STARFLEET's world. Kirk's world.

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

It's odd how different people see that so differently. For myself I never have believed that she was referring to anything but Kirk's own private universe. To me it was perfectly clear that she believed that Kirk was so fully committed to his career in general and to the Enterprise in particular that there was no room for a woman. That made perfect sense to me then and still does today. Obviously a situation where mileage will vary.

18. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Anyone here ever heard of Captain Holly Graf, first woman to captain a USN destroyer and then a cruiser?
    How she behaved as captain did not turn out the way the PC Brigade would have expected.

19. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

yeah, that one was a lesson in human nature that cuts across sexual lines. the willingness to abuse authority is not exclusively male.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Yeah, Graf was one crazy bitch. :eek: