Uma Thurman Movie "Takes £88" in Opening Weekend

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Hermiod, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That's not a typo - Motherhood = FLOP.

11 people turned up to see Motherhood, starring Uma Thurman, in it's opening weekend.

It appears not to have been released theatrically outside the UK as yet.

Though a Polish film, "My Nikifor" has the lowest opening weekend in British history - just £7 - the £88 gross makes Motherhood the worst performing American mainstream film in history.

The film's budget is said to be around £3m.

2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I didn't even know it existed. :lol:

I suppose any word of mouth that actually existed, such as film critics like Barry Norman, would be of the negative variety, killing any momentum. Very poor showing though.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I never heard a thing about this movie...It came out in the US last Sept?

:shrug:

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

To put this in context, even The Room, which is generally regarded as one of the worst films in recent memory, made $2,000 in its initial theatrical run - and has probably made significantly more than that from its frequent special screenings.

If you want an example of why The Room is so bad - its director (and producer, writer and star) Tommy Wiseau knew so little about film production that he bought a brand new film camera and a $90,000 digital camera where most productions at this level would just rent them. He then admitted that he did not know the difference between shooting on film and on digital so he put both cameras on the same mount and shot every single frame of the movie with both to see which was best.

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

88 pounds? Well that's more than Eduardo's market value, but less than the amount of hush money Arsenal pays to Robin Van Persie's sexual assault victims.