Apocalypse Rising question

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by LS31, Jul 3, 2012.

1. LS31

LS31 Ensign Newbie

Just finished watching Apocalypse Rising from the 5th season and something bothered me about the entire plot.

It's the ep where Sisko, Odo, O'Brien and Worf go undercover as Klingons to uncover the Changeling.

Anyways...Sisko, Odo and O'Brien are all disguised as Klingons. Yet Worf isn't disguised at all. How does it make any sense to send one of the most well-known Klingons on this mission? Why didn't anyone notice him as being Worf? Why would Changeling-Martok be able to recognize Sisko as a Klingon but not an undisguised Worf?

Am I missing something here?

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Yes, you're missing the very subtle alterations that were made to Worf, too.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. They changed his forehead ridge (which is a family trait in Klingons) among other parts of his face.

4. LS31

LS31 Ensign Newbie

Thanks guys. I guess I need to re-watch the ep because I totally missed that part.

5. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

helped that all Klingons were well inebriated 1/4 of the way through the party

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Worf changed his hair too from his traidmark braid.

Honestly sometimes I think the Klingons just see Worf as "the Starfleet Klingon" and don't look past the uniform so often.

Changeling-Martok recognizing Sisko, while not impossible, did surprise me. Honestly I'd have thought Gowron would have been the one to do so, having looked directly into Sisko's eyes. Good thing Worf's alias wasn't called up there. Gowron definitely would recognize him! :P

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt Worf would be well known in the Empire outside those in the High Council. He is essentially an outcast and for most of his life from a shamed family. I can see most Klingons considering any stories of a one of them as part of Starfleet as an outrageous myth as well.

Even in "Sons of Mogh" a few adjustments was more than enough to fool the Klingons on the docked warship. In the end it wasn't his face that gave him away, but his body language, and you would think that if any Klingons who would be likely to know about who he is would be it would be those on a ship forced to dock on DS9.

8. Parrots_United

Parrots_United Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It makes you wonder why they never changed their voices... I mean, Avery Brook's voice is pretty damn distinct.

9. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought it was silly that they sent O'Brien on the mission, especially in make-up that made him look like Kletus the Slack-Jawed Klingon, when it would have made much more sense to send Jadzia, who already knows a ton about Klingon culture and could have done the simple job of setting up the laser-beam-thingies just as well as O'Brien could.

Out-of-universe, I suppose the reason would be this much-ballyhooed skin condition of Terry Farrell's, making her unable to tolerate too much make-up. But in-universe, I think it was a stupid oversight, especially since Kira was remaining behind to command the station. Maybe they needed someone to stay behind who could command the Defiant just in case, but then Kira's done that before too.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard sunlight and her skin don't mix time and again, but now makeup too? Man at times I'm almost wondering if she doesn't just play that up for convienence's sake. Certainly she pitched a fit when a few Jadzia soundclips weren used in season 7 that that lovely montage in What You Leave Behind awkwardly didn't feature Jadzia. Sorta indicates she's not a team player, quitting or not in season 6.

The Dax character would have made a lot of sense in this situation though, I'm surprised I never thought of that before. I figured the "Kletus the slack-jawed Klingon" was just another variation of "O'brien Must Suffer." I never liked Kira commanding the Defiant at all. Sure allies share their bases and what not, but I've never heard of them turning their warships over to foreign officers.

11. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Worf's "disguise" is about as ludicrous as Clark Kent magical glasses.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I don't know that for sure, I'm just assuming that a sensitivity to one thing might well translate into a sensitivity to other things. It's entirely possible I'm making that up.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But hey, for both it works!

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Even people without skin conditions can develop one especially if they've covered in glue and latex for hours at a time day after day. The actor who played Rev Bem on Andromeda had to quit the show because his skin couldn't handle the make up any longer. Kes grew longer hair so Jennifer Lein could stop wearing the ears because her skin became to sensitive to the glue. If you have a skin condition of some kind to begin with you might not even be able to handle it in the first place.

15. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

It's also an open question as to just how "famous" Worf is among the rank-and-file. He had to announce himself before Martok's son recognized him in Way of the Warrior, and by that point he'd killed Duras, helped put Gowron in the Big Chair of Chancellorship (since it's not a throne, oh nonono) and aided the reinstatement of Kahless as Emperor. It's also a subtle hint as to "Martok's" secret, since he recognizes Sisko (Changelings have very good memories for faces, as the memory of the Link that leads Odo to kick off this whole mission proves).

16. Ben Sisko

Ben Sisko Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like Burke and Samno said: "They all look alike."

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And let's not forget Virginia Hey as Zhaan on Farscape, and that was just paint, no latex or glue, because she shaved her head and eyebrows for the part

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, this is also why Terry Farrell didn't use the original Trill makeup as shown on TNG. She was allergic to it, I think.

19. Gul Bones

Gul Bones Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I remember reading that the reason for not using the same makeup was to show off Farrell’s looks. Not that I’m saying it’s the entire reason but I assume a big part of her getting the role was her model looks and a bit of eye candy for the male demographic. Obviously the studio would have a big say in who gets the parts and Terry would be very easy to market as that ‘hot girl from the new Star Trek show'.

20. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The makeup probably had nothing to do with Dax not going. The writers probably picked Miles over Dax because through him they could provide more lighter moments and have someone who was truly uncomfortable with the situation. In-universe Dax makes more sense, but for entertainment value Miles is the better option.