Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I think the Egyptian god of frustration is rather appropriate at the moment. :lol:

2. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

Is that a Garibaldi reference?

3. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

G'Kar, re: Daffy Duck - "I was studying this image. Is it one of his household gods?"
    Zack - "That's Daf- Yeah. Well, in a way I suppose it is. It's sort of the Egyptian god of Frustration."
    G'Kar - "Most appropriate! Thank you!"

4. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

I sill miss B5. I'm really hoping it experiences a renaissance someday culminating in a reboot. For that to happen though, we have to keep the faith, and watch it with our kids. :bolian: I started my daughter "In the Beginning" with the Earth-Minbari war a couple years ago. When we're finished burning through the Trek films (we just finished Generations) I think we'll have to watch the Shadow War.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc[/yt]

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, yeah, I should probably try to find the time to watch the series one of these days. Just as soon as I find the time to watch the entire Space Battleship Yamato series. I started watching the series on YouTube a while ago, but haven't found the time to resume watching the series.

Maybe the fact that they haven't announced anything is a blessing in disguise. No sense in letting the time go the waste; minus well take the time to refine your designs, and improve on elements that need them, and maybe get rid of elements that aren't the best choices.

7. Fuzzy Modem

8. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

"Late May", huh? So...at least another month of waiting, with no guarantee that we'll actually have an answer by "late May."

Wonderful. :rolleyes:

~Belisarius

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

At this point "late may" is a little over 2 weeks away.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

At this point "late may" is a little over 2 weeks away.

12. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

I'm a bit wary of the phrase that appears immediately after the date, unknown if this will be a playable ship or not. By putting this note under the heading "Unknown" as well, the implication here to me is that the publishers want to declare this contest over, declare a winner, hand out the prizes, and disconnect from the idea of integrating the ship into the game as Enterprise-F.

That's sad, but if you think about it, not unexpected.

SF3

13. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At this point I would not be suprised. I just would like to see some of the top ships imported into the game. God knows most of our designs are way better than some of the playable ships they have now.

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't one basically a Sovereign with a rollbar between the nacelles? Or is that actually an STO Sovereign?

15. Titan Designer

That one was designed way before the STO guys ships were designed. I totally get the dig on the Luna...lol at least I can say that one on my designs has made it somewhere. I know that there are alot of people out there that don't like my designs, but it is cool to see one of my creations living on in one form.

I am not saying that all of there ships are bad. They are using slot of the pre existing designs that are really cool.

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where did that come from?

17. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Yup.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Yup. Nuthin.

18. Fuzzy Modem

I don't think it's possible for any new ship design to satisfy more than 75% of the fans. The individual aesthetic preferences and preconceived notions we developed in childhood have now 'set' and any new material will invariably be compared to this nostalgic idealism and found lacking to some extent.

The key to broad acceptance is to tap into the most universally loved design aspects and allow them to influence us without taking the reigns, but even then you can only hope to appeal to the majority. There will always be those who prefer design aspects that the rest of us never liked to begin with.

[edit]
    Even the Enterprise D (which really represents the peak of Trek TV) is not universally loved, and is even downright hated by no small number of fans, though she happens to be my personal favorite.

Point being Sean, there will always be those who dislike your designs. Don't let it jade you. You are the only one here (anywhere really) who has made a real contribution to the universe. That's no small feat, and is in no way diminished by the jeers of the minority.

Whoever wins this contest, they'll be subject to a great deal of hostility and contempt, and those who complain will likely do so at a much greater volume than those who applaud. That's just the internet.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  19. Titan Designer

I totally see your point Fuzzy. I sure got my share of "love and hate" with my Luna class design. I take it all in stride.

That is why I said I would to see the top designs from this contest in the game. They pulled more from what you said Fuzzy.

I personally would love to see Vektors or Fuzzy's Designs in a fleet along side the Luna, Sovie, Galaxy, or Intrepid classes. I would even love to see my Ent-F design flying among them as well. With every good design there are some bad designs and STO does have a few bad ones thrown in with the bunch.

I guess that is what happens with modular design you can make great looking designs and then you can get some ugly looking turds as well.

20. Titan Designer

I may have been wrong, but I took it as a poke at the my Luna Class that is already apart of the ships available. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.