Petition for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in the Novels!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Unimatrix Q, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

Is there any possibility for a return of the "Q Who" - Borg in upcoming Novels? I mean the Borg without a queen, that don't assimilate lifeforms and are only interested in technology. Please bring back the ultimate users! Who thinks about this like me? Please post in my thread. Maybe we can move something!

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry Pal, the Borg are done. Personally I'd prefer something new and more frightening than the Borg. The galaxy is a big place, and it's possible that Starfleet's return to exploration after the various typhon pact crises, may find something lurking in the dark,

3. Unimatrix Q

It's sad that the only time we got to see them again after Q Who, was in Peter David's Vendetta! There doesn't seem to be any fanfiction about them, either! Strange, if one thinks how beloved they were...

4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

You'd better rewatch the old episode or re-read Vendetta and the other old TNG novels. As to the fate of the Borg, read Destiny or Kirsten Beyer's Voyager Relaunch novels. The Borg were properly dealt with. If you don't like what happened to them, it's your loss. There are more pressing matters in the upcoming novels. The Typhon Pact and The Fall novels for instance (already published or going to be published by Cross Cult)
    Novels which take place during the shows are most unlikely. Honestly, I'm not interested in another Borg story arc. Discussions about older Borg novels are just fine, though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The reason the "Q Who Borg" didn't stick around is because they were too limited a concept to tell multiple stories about. They were an impersonal force of nature, and drama requires personal stakes. You can tell a story about characters struggling against a hurricane, but it gets repetitive if they just keep tackling more hurricanes. The only way to get more stories out of the Borg was to personalize the stakes. So it was necessary to change the concept of the Borg to bring a more personal element to them, whether by giving them an interest in assimilating individuals, liberating drones and having them develop personalities, or establishing a "Queen" to speak for the Collective as a whole. I wasn't crazy about all of the changes they made, but I can see why they found them dramatically necessary. Sure, a lot of fans wish the Borg had remained an implacable, faceless foe, but those fans didn't have to come up with fresh and viable story ideas.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

End of topic really. :D

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not "Q Who" Borg, but the "Best of Both Worlds" variety return in DC comics' "The Worst of Both Worlds" and it's quite interesting to see how they imagine the assimilation of Earth going in a pre-First Contact continuity.

8. Unimatrix Q

Thank you for your reply! I really love "Watching the clock" and the "Rise of the Federation" Novels!

Wouldn't it be an idea for a new DTI Novel to explain the changes of the Borg in later canon! Maybe they were caused by the Temporal Cold War. I think it also would be great to see the Destruction of Guinan's Homeworld in a Novel!

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No more Borg. Please...

10. Unimatrix Q

I don't mean the stupid and boring Queen-Adoring Spacezombies from First Contact or Voyager! It's the fearsome, cold, mysterious
    and deadly force of nature, that the original concept provides, that i'm after!

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, they were certainly a more forbidable foe in their early days, but by the time TNG and then Voyager had finished with them, they were spent.

Destiny put them out of their misery and I'm not in a hurry to see them again in any guise.

12. Unimatrix Q

@Christopher: One point i didn't understand in Destiny was why did the Borg just destroy all the Tech they encountered? They could have simply disected the ships and integrated their technology! City scooping would also have been deadly to the planetary population, as in space there is no oxygen...

13. Christopher

Actually I already addressed the differences between the TNG and FC/VGR varieties of Borg in Greater Than the Sum.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although adding a Queen to the Borg has always been somewhat controversial among fandom, it actually is in line with some of the original work done with the Borg in the early development stages on TNG, in which the Borg were meant to be organized similarly to insects. A lot of this was abandoned due to budgetary reasons, but the bottom line is the addition of a Queen really isn't as much of a betrayal of the Borg's origins as many make it seem.

And since it was TBOBW and the concept of assimilation that put the Borg on pop culture's spotlight, that's the reason it's those Borg who we continue to revisit.

The "Q Who Borg" are really nothing more than a budget friendly version of a year's worth of story development not yet refined into what they would later be known for in mainstream circles. And that's why they aren't revisited.

15. Unimatrix Q

I like this novel, but i was talking more about the changes of the Borg from a techcollecting real collective to an assimilation driven, queengoverned Hivemind than the technological changes and the natural born Borg the TNG Crew met.

The original Borg are also a great analogy about the consumerism of this days, while the later Borg are more about uniformity and mainstream thinking.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  16. Christopher

That's a change in the way the writers approached the concept, but that doesn't mean it's a change in-universe. When two stories offer conflicting ideas like that, it's often necessary to reconcile them in-story, to present a way that they can both be true at the same time. This is what I did in GTTS. I explained that the shift of the Delta Quadrant Borg toward assimilation over incubation was a response to the war with Species 8472 depleting their numbers, requiring them to "recruit" more aggressively to rebuild their drone population. The reason the TNG Borg were different is because we were seeing a different subset of the overall Collective, adapted to different needs and circumstances. Incubated drones were preferred on cubes operating that far from Borg space, because they had no prior identities of their own and would be less prone to revolt if they were cut off from the Collective somehow.

After all, the Borg are supposedly great adapters, so it's only logical that Borg in different parts of the galaxy, in different circumstances, would adapt differently. If they were all completely uniform everywhere in the galaxy, that wouldn't be adaptive at all.

17. Unimatrix Q

I like this explanation alot! It could also explain why the Borg always have sent just one cube against the Federation! Need to read the Novel again :cool:

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Vendetta" is set after "The Best of Both Worlds", and they assimilate a Ferengi as Vastator of Borg, to replace Locutus.

19. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

They assimilated one Ferengi as Vastator and killed the others, if I'm not mistaken. Hmmm..... actually profit is irrelevant. ;)

20. Unimatrix Q

Exactly! And they didn't assimilated the Penzatti, a species with sophisticated technology. They just scooped up their cities and let them die in space. The tech is all they were interested in...