Competition: write an episode of Star Trek Continues

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Mirror Sulu, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

no matter how good the script, words just sound insincere coming from vic mignogna's mouth.

3. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be a bit concerned about the legalities of winning money for producing a piece of work that infringes someone's copyright.

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

And I wonder if the prize winnings are in addition to WGA minimums, or in lieu of them. ;)

5. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:bolian::guffaw::lol::guffaw:

I have a former aquaintance who's just an awful writer...think I'll point them in Vic's direction...two peas in a pod...

6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^
    Really classy guys.

7. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I wish I'd found out about this sooner than Friday. I have an idea for a story that I feel has potential but I don't think I can develop it in time. Does anyone know if they're going to be doing this again in the future?

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

This seemed to go under the rader. They didn't seem to really get the word out on this — wasn't on their FB page or Twitter that I can tell. But maybe I'm missing something. And I don't really keep track of news on their website. However, the apparent lack of publicizing the contest creates the perception that they weren't really interested in getting submissions. But that's just my take on it, YMMV.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Wow, people are really starting to poke around the edges of what's legal here. I just had a conversation with our entertainment law attorney at work the other day (he cleared all the Namco characters for Wreck-It Ralph, so he knows what he's taking about) and he explained to me the legal realities of some of the stuff that fans do thinking it's okay but which would mean lawsuit if Paramount ever got the slightest itch to do so. He said typically the only reason most companies don't crack down on these things more often is because they fear bad publicity more than such an infringement.

10. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Boy, Serling really had an axe to grind with TOS...Is this from that grainy 1970 interview over at YouTube?

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Serling had an axe to grind at all. He was merely giving his opinion on STAR TREK, expressing frustration with a series that had so much potential, that could sparkle, as he said, but often fell short. An opinion also expressed by Harlan Ellison as well, who had an actual axe to grind over his own episode.

And while STAR TREK is my first science-fiction love, I don't see it with a haze. It has its faults and cracks. Honestly, THE TWILIGHT ZONE was more consistent in quality than TOS. So was THE OUTER LIMITS.

12. Maurice

Serling had no ax to grind. What he says is pretty much dead-on accurate which is why I quoted him. And it's from a video interview, yes.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I see it as an honest assessment of TOS. At times it shined at times, other times... not so much.

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Agreed, seems a pretty spot on assessment to me.

15. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I also agree. And if I had to pick between Roddenberry and Serling as to who knew more about what makes good television - I'd go with Serling every time.

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I think Roddenberry was pretty smart, but yeah, Serling certainly had more raw talent as a writer.

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Gene Roddenberry was good enough at what he did to make a living in a brutally competitive industry. Rod Serling was one of the geniuses of the field. It's almost an apples to oranges comparison.

18. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Slight nit-pic: it's CBS that owns "Star Trek" for copyright purposes. (Paramount has a license to produce films)

ANYWAY - I suspect this very thing is why the contest wasn't on their FB page or well advertised. It would have made it too easy for CBS legal to see it.

And, from the mouth of CBS: the only reason they "don't crack down on most of these things" is because they don't get enough publicity, or a large enough audience, for it to matter to them. They do watch - and take action when they think it's big enough to take some spotlight wattage away from JJ, or it's a huge violation of rights, or a violation that is noticeable enough to them to care.

19. Maurice

Yes, CBS. 20 years of typing "Paramount" is a hard habit to break.

I don't think we're in disagreement. CBS could have a legal case if it wanted it. It just doesn't see it worth the time and trouble (and negative publicity).

20. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I don't know...they didn't seem to mind the NY Times articles and the CBS interviews about how they pulled Norman Spinrad's script from a fanfilm and settled the whole matter out of court. That was pretty negative. It was also pretty definitive.