More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Wasn't that the Holiday Special? :lol:

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but at least with Trek they were spread out over a period of 40 years.

From what I can gather with SW, Disney is apparently planning to release something like five movies over a period of seven years (the new trilogy in 2015, 2018 and 2021, with at least 2 solo movies in between).

That's an awful lot of SW in a short amount of time.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, 7 to 10 years before ANH would be about right, based on the EU continuity. Han was born 29 BBY, so he would've been about 19 when he joined the Imperial Navy. The Paradise Snare, which depicted Han's acceptance into the Carida Academy, was set approximately 10 BBY. The second book in the trilogy, The Hutt Gambit, started 5 BBY, with Han and Chewbacca partnered as smugglers

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think according to Lucas, Han was raised by Wookies.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if they might pull a Marvel and use at least one of the spin-off movies to introduce characters who will play a role in the new trilogy.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My own personal choices for spinoff films would be, in descending order:

1. A Fugitive Jedi "chase" film where a survivor of the Great Purge flees Darth Vader and Imperial troopers.

2. Yoda as a relatively young and brand new Jedi Master, set 800 years before the Prequel Trilogy when he takes on his very first Padawan apprentice and has to embark on a mission of urgency to defend the Republic from some sort of danger.

3. One of Boba Fett's early exploits as a professional bounty hunter during the formative years of the Galactic Empire.

4. Han Solo, set some seven to ten years prior to his meeting Luke, Obi-Wan and Leia and joining the Rebel Alliance.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I still think something like this would be perfect for the basis of the oft-rumored live action TV series. A Jedi goes on the run and has wacky adventures across the Galaxy Far, Far Away while evading capture.

8. cooleddie74

Like the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk, but with blasters and lightsabers?

That could work. :)

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Damn you sad piano closing credits!

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

While we're wondering, will Disney also be killing that godawful Detours series? :p

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wondering if that series (was it called, "Star Wars: Underworld?") has been completely canceled, making way for the Fett film?

I hope JD is right.

Regardless of the level of enthusiasm I've encountered for that series, you couldn't pay me to watch it. I feel sci-fi "hilarious sendups" and "fresh parody" are a dime a dozen and not at that funny. It began and ended at Spaceballs for me.

12. cooleddie74

I hear ya. I enjoy Seth Green and Robot Chicken can be some of the funniest animation on TV when it wants, but Detours is a complete train wreck. I've never cared for it one bit.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We can only hope.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

More like The Fugitive, except now we know how the one-armed man lost his arm.

15. cooleddie74

Qui-Dave Janssen?

I'll beta test and focus group it.

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Unless I'm going mad, mildly surprised no-one seems to have marked original SW make-up creator Stuart Freeborn's passing here.

Obituary

[​IMG]

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

A Yoda movie sounds awful. So do most of the ideas I've heard surrounding these spin-offs.

Only truly solid idea for a film I've heard so far:

"Seven Samurai" with Jedi. Set a few years after RotS, Survivors of the purge (and friends) are gathered up by a grizzled, old, one-armed Mace Windu (going under an assumed name) who has been hunted down by a force-sensitive kid in the hopes of fending off the Imperial invasion of an outer-rim planet where the first inklings of a serious Rebellion has begun to form in earnest. An Alamo-esque finale (and death of these last few Jedi) kick-starts these beginnings of the Rebel Alliance.

18. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A Yoda movie!? what the heck is this!? starting to turn into Shrek individual movies for different characters like Puss in boots! What a joke! I knew Disney would do this.

19. cooleddie74

As long as they don't greenlight a dumbed down, animated Princess Leia debacle for the kids I think I could watch almost any spinoff film.

Sebulba the podracer in a pod hijack and chase film guest starring Sally Field? I'd give it a chance.

20. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh I am sure we will get endless animated spinoffs!