STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Does McCoy know whether it is any survivors blood or just Khans that can do the miracle ?

Did they really need Khan alive to give blood anyway - surely they could have scraped enough of Khans blood off the ground after Spock had finished with him?

Seriously though did Spock need the added complication of having to take Khan alive.

2. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I didn't mean action thriller, I was thinking more of a suspense thriller. And there was absolutely no suspense whatsoever, apart from the moment when Pike died. That was the only moment when I thought *please don't die, please don't die* ... but he did ... :(

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The child only needed a vial of blood.

Kirk had a transfusion because his blood was irradiated, but I'm going to assume he had only a vial of blood from Khan and not liters of blood from him.

4. Commishsleer

I thought it looked like Data but maybe that was wishful thinking.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's throw all the series into a blender and pour splotches onto ST:XIII.

6. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm... a couple of things I noticed in the movie (among the many things that caught my eye):

* A metallic red-coloured, three-nacelled Starfleet starship - at the spacedock (looking not unlike an Armstrong class starship)

* At the end of the movie, when we get a shot of the Enterprise, instead of x2 impulse engines on the primary saucer, it appears that the middle section (with impulse vents on either side) is also glowing red - giving the appearance of one long bar of impulse engine arrays. I thought I also heard it mentioned that the Enterprise had been refitted / repaired - and I presume that the modified impulse engine vents was part of this refit...

In both instances, I might have been mistaken - can anyone else confirm either of these observations?

Hope I wasn't seeing things... :P

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right about the impulse engine - they replaced it with a much bigger one that wraps around the rear of the saucer.

The only other starship I saw (aside from the Enterprise and Vengeance) was a Newton-class ship docked with the space station when the Enterprise left and jumped to warp. But if there was a Starfleet ship in red, I wonder if it's meant to be the Intrepid? There was a Vulcan captain at the conference, and we know Vulcan ships have a similar colouration.

8. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too. Enterprise flying away > drawing on the ground > Ent going to warp all with the music and the title appearing, fantastic :drool:

Didn't think they could top the 2009 title card

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

For me personally that was the single best part of the whole movie! The first 15 or so minutes on Nibiru were great and really felt like a genuine TOS-like mission. The design of the planet, the aliens, the inside of the volcano and the Enterprise underwater looked amazing! It was all so fast-paced and yet very true to TOS. And then that title ... stunning!

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone got a good look at the monster that Kirk shot at the beginning?

Felt a bit like payback time from the last film where he had to run for his life from the alien critters.

11. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got back from the movie. Enjoyed it thoroughly!!

A few minor quibbles though:

How far is Qo'nos from Earth? About 10 minutes?

And a super-augment like Khan didn't think that the torpedoes could have been tampered with or armed by Spock?

Like I said, minor quibbles.

Liked the continuity references, the presence of the tribble, Section 31. Kickass Klingons. Except they got their asses kicked.

So now that Klingon space has been violated, we're gonna see war in Star Trek XIII?

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

His behaviour indicates 2-dimensional thinking.

13. Commishsleer

;)

And in his interrogation by Kirk and Spock earlier, Khan indicated that he wasn't afraid of Vulcans and their pacifist ways

14. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:) Thanks for confirming the impulse upgrade.

I do remember that Newton class starship, just as the Ent jumped, but this 'red ship' was slightly before then, possibly near the shot of the docking clamps releasing... I definitely need to go see Into Darkness for a second time - so many details that my eyes need to explore, and to confirm whether my eyes are playing tricks on me! A Vulcan-influenced StarFleet ship would be an interesting hybrid.

:)

15. BorgPhil

BorgPhil Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, thanks. This was bugging me, but I like this explanation.

The speed of travel, yeah it's annoying but you can see why they feel the need to do it.

The film generally, I thought it was great. The first half was superb and the Khan reveal was excellent. The 2nd half didn't quite live up to it, possibly because there was no real surprises and it was so obvious Kirk was never going to die.

At one point I thought they were going to turn Khan into a semi-good guy so I'm glad he went where he did.

I just wish they had used the Klingons a bit more, and at the end we were promised an almost certain war by Ad Marcus, yet they were off on a 5-year exploration mission? Hopefully the Klingons are the main enemy in the next film.

I didn't like Marcus's reference to their initial dealings with the Klingons as if they had just made first contact (when ofc in this timeline we have all of the Enterprise backstory when we had plenty of Klingon contact)

But I can get over that. Looking forward to reading the book as well.

16. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

I think the main enemy of the next film will be the Borg. Mark my words!

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If going bigger is their focus, then there really isn't any other place they can go.

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The Borg are not a tos foe, its tng and they should be saved for any future TNG movie. Hopefully if we get TNG movies they are written by someone else. I can't get over this silly script ATM.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I disagree. I've always had a secret interest in a Kirk vs. the Borg story and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

20. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

It's a TNG thing. Just like the Holodeck and Q is a TNG thing. Leave them out of Kirk era movies.