Why Nimoy NEEDED to be in STID

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by teacake, Jul 10, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because "thrusters on full" is a dull ass final line to finish off decades of Star Trek. Oh sure I used my apologetics ray gun and made up all kinds of reasons why it was meaningful but I never really believed them.

"Yes, but at great personal cost."

It's interesting that if Nimoy dies before the next film his last line in Star Trek will be a reference to Spock's death.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved Nimoy'a cameo. Far, far more awesome than watching the crew Google "Khan"

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So really, he should have had a better final line in ST11 and then been left out of ST12 entirely? I agree. ;)

4. teacake

No!!

Bad Tosk!

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if they've banked any extra footage for the next one, "just in case."

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+1

Also, Nimoy is not going to die any time soon. He will live long and, you know the rest. Long live Nimoy!

7. teacake

Good. I expect a super long cameo for the next one then!

8. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

I think they should have given him a death scene in ST09. Clean break with the old universe.

9. F. King Daniel

I'm eternally grateful Old Spock didn't die in '09. Having him live on in the alternate reality is incredibly cool, IMO.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

What, are we doing a death watch now of TOS actors? UGH. I hope Nimoy, Shatner and the others are around for a very long time.

11. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Agreed, as cool as he is there was no reason to have him in the second movie.

12. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Also he got to be called "Spock Prime" now. How cool is that name? Sounds like a Transformer's.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

After Spock Prime said they defeated Khan at great personal cost, Spock asked how they did it, and the scene ended. It would be interesting to know how or even if Spock Prime answered that question.

The two circumstances are so different I really can't think of anything specific Spock Prime could say that would've been useful. I guess he could've provided his impressions about Khan as a person, and that may have been useful to Spock in formulating a strategy against Khan, but that's about it. In fact, that would be the reason to contact Spock Prime instead of just use the ship's computer to find out about Khan. Spock Prime had valuable first-hand information about how Khan operated.

14. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

^the only thing I can think of for Spock Prime to tell was that Khan has two-dimensional thinking. Not sure what that would be useful for in the case.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Did he say "personal" cost ?

Anyway, I liked seeing him, but I wish they'd have cut the connections with previous Trek in this one.

16. F. King Daniel

Maybe it was "bash him repeately with something metallic", since thats what Kirk did in "Space Seed" and Spock in "Into Darkness" to incapacitate him:)

17. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the answer lies in character insight. For instance, the way Khan thinks, the way he plotted to take over the Enterprise when he was found, his vengeful nature when percieved to have been wronged, and just how he was defeated at the end.

The more you know and understand your adversary, the greater the level of predictability.

18. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

That would be the usual modus operandi in this case, but I'm glad they didn't. The only other time I was surprised that a character that normally dies in that kind of episode survived was "Second Chances".

This! I even think he should take a leading role in the next movie.

No, he didn't.

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved the cameo. Hope they use him in the next movie too.

20. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

Kirk says to Spock "You used what he wanted against him!"

Spock replies "It's what you would have done."

I assumed that is what Spock Prime told him.