The Perfect Mate (would you choose this?)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by GentlemanBob, Jul 20, 2014.

1. GentlemanBob

GentlemanBob Cadet

I really enjoyed this episode, I watched it for the first time today. It got me to thinking. If you had an opportunity to have a woman groomed especially for you, who would morph into your perfect mate, would you take it? Esp. one as beautiful as Famke Jansen? On the surface it seems like the obvious answer is yes. However, remember in Coming To America, these mates were brought to the prince (eddie murphy), and when he asked her what she liked, she answered whatever you like my prince. I would think having this kind of response every day in and day out would get mundane, I like women with spirit, individuality, and their own mind. Difficult at times, but never boring. I want to hear from women as well as men on this. If you could have your own metamorph empath would you take it? I am not sure myself. Part of me says no. On the other hand if having her own mind would be programmed as part of her imprinting... So, what do YOU think? I look forward to reading your replies.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is, IMHO, no such thing as a "perfect" mate.

SolarisOne likes this.
  3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It wasn't like Famke's character just obeyed her mate like Eddie's brides in Coming to America, she became the perfect mate (IIRC). If the person she bonded with wanted an independent woman, she'd be independent. If the person she bonded with wanted a submissive woman, she'd be submissive.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As bbjeg says she became the perfect made for the person she bonded with. Of course as MLB points out there is no such thing as the perfect mate.

But don't we all look for certain qualities in a potential partner? And those qualities can be different from one person to another.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've missed the empathic nature of this phenomenon, imho. Kamala isn't going to just acquiesce to her mate on everything. She empathically gleans what her mate desires or requires, and is bred to want to be it or do it. Once she had fully bonded, she'd just be the "right" mate for you, & you'd never know otherewise

As to whether I'd ever want something like that, it's kind of hard to suspend that much disbelief in reality. It's easier to believed in light speed travel, frankly, even when all accounts point to it being impossible

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

No. I had an unsuccessful marriage in the 70s, and pretty much gave up on attempting relationships after that. If the mate is perfectly suited for you, where is the joy in discovering things about each other, if that person is completely focused on being right for you?

Though it would be a tough decision if it's Famke.

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The funny thing is, you don't really need the imprinting alien. We've got the holodeck remember? You can test out living with a new spouse every day. And with that mobile thing the doctor had from Voyager, no one would know it's a hologram. Plus if you're thinking about dating a real person, you can have the computer whip up a hologram based on their records, and test-run the dating process with only like 10% margin of error. Just don't let them walk in on you, otherwise they might be OUTRAGED! by this.

"Computer, analyze my personality and create the perfect spouse ...that is capable of defeating Data."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Great, now your girlfriend is Moriarty.

SolarisOne likes this.
  9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like being in The Driver's Seat, let there be no mistaking that. But in the beginning of any relationship, it's always so great, isn't it? She's just fun to be around with no sign of mental instability in sight. This is my FAVOURITE phase and I would not give that up for having a woman who was Made-to-Order. After that, of course, that's when the trouble starts ...

10. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

From my understanding she became the perfect mate. Not that she rolled over to do everything you wanted to do.

So if you like someone ambitious, challenging, adventurous, she would be that. If you like someone to cook you dinner, and grab you a beer out of the fridge while you watch tv, she will be that. It doesn't mean there aren't things to discover, it means they are the ideal mate for what you look for.

She will be completely different depending on who she's mated to. So I think some of the posters here are not understanding the concept. Unless I'm mistaken.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The thing is, if you wanted the imprinted woman to have her own mind, she would have her own mind to make you happy.

Hedonistically I would totally go for it, but my annoying superego would keep reminding me it was a form of slavery.

12. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

bwahaha!

13. Riker Kenobi

Riker Kenobi Ensign Red Shirt

No. My "perfect" partner and I would be equals. While someone like Kamala would pick up on that and act more "independent", she would only be doing it to please me. She'd still essentially be my property. And Kamala isn't even choosing this life; it's simply the only one she's ever been allowed to experience.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I couldn't do it, because I would be aware of the fact that my wishes and desires had been permanently impressed upon a living, sentient being, overriding his or her own sense of self, and that would disturb me greatly.

SolarisOne likes this.
  15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That's a good point I think. A partner "designed" to be the way you prefer your partner to be would feel artificial on some level (unless maybe you were completely oblivious of the imprint process), as would the relationship as a whole.

Any display of affection, trust or even jealousy would feel unearned and cheap. The relationship would not require constant work or care or self-improvement of any kind - it would not be an adult relationship at all.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    SolarisOne likes this.
  16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

How could you ever be sure your "equal" partner isn't just pleasing you, though? She wouldn't have to be an empathic alien in order to do that.

Whether the relationship is based on you suspecting her of faking it all the time, or never bothering to suspect that, the Dotted Famke choice seems just as good as any other, and probably better. It's your headscape that matters, not what she is or represents or does.

Timo Saloniemi

17. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

If Famke Janssen were to show up and start to behave in a perfect matey way, I might like it.

18. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll take her imperfect.

19. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

What if she was her character from Hansel & Gretel.

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, this woman is somewhat disturbed that everyone posting so far, except J.Allen, is assuming that a metamorph would be female, for the pleasure of a male.

Moriarty? Wasn't that a reference to Geordi and the holographic Leah Brahms?

SolarisOne likes this.
  21. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

In 'Elementary, Dear Data', they created Moriarty by creating an adversary "capable of defeating Data", similar to what Makarov wanted.