Orci strikes back

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think he should have used profanity, but I was so tempted to blast off way more than he has quite a few times since the movie was released.

I appreciate that some people don't like the movie and I'm fine with what they have to say. However some people take it to a really personal level where they imply all sorts of things about fans of STiD. They accuse fans of being stupid or anti-intellectual, of being immature, of being attention deficit, of being sheeple, sexist, all sorts of things. And a large number of the complaints seem to assume fans of STiD never knew what TOS or other classic Trek were. They keep throwing around "spitting on Roddenberry's vision", for instance.

For Orci, I can see how, since it was his project, he could have had enough. If I were him I might have blown off my trap in far worse ways.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Same here. Funny thing is, sometimes we give too much credit. Turns out the apple was never intended as a nod to TWOK.

If you lump all fans together then of course you "can't win". Why would anyone expect every single Trekkie to have the same opinion?

And anyway, it seems like a bit of a specious complaint to me. There are a lot of things in nuTrek that are new that were not decried as "ignoring canon".

3. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does that mean that from now on all the villains in Star Trek will have to be white? I know that most of them already are. But if every single bad guy in every single Star Trek movie from now on (and each movie has to have at least one) has to be white in order to avoid offending someone that doesn't seem very Star Trek, considering Star Trek is supposed to be so multi ethnic.

Ask Orci, I just used his exact words, albeit a bit exaggerated to make a point.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Do I get any sort of points for being a young (age 25) TOS fan?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hasn't every Trek movie bad guy been white except for Montalban?

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He decided not to play into and perpetuate the stereotypes. (thats a very Star Trek thing to do) Perhaps being Hispanic himself was a factor in that. The next film will have a different theme and the casting choices will reflect that.

7. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pretty much, that's what I said. However, not really a "Bad Guy" there was the V'ger probe in the form of Lt. Ilia played by Persis Khambatta. And Martia from STVI mostly played by Iman.

8. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Whether or not the movie is good wasn't what that article was about. It was about Star Trek being broken. And since the article didn't say the storytelling is broken most people take that to mean the franchise is broken.

Star Trek is a brand. If a brand is broken nobody is buying it, and more people than ever are buying Star Trek, these people just don't like the flavor.

9. Nerys Myk

The main bad guys have been played by white actors. Though I guess in some circles Abraham and Montalban might not be white enough.

10. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Why is no one mentioning Benicio del Toro who was originally cast?

11. Nerys Myk

Benicio del Toro

12. JWPlatt

Great...

Don't you think originally wanting to hire Benicio del Toro makes Orci's statement meaningless?

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Shhh! Orci is trying to rewrite recent history. Leave him be. ;)

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Who says it was Orci's choice?

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Hold up what's worse:

- Casting someone who might be wrong for the part purely cause of their skin color

- Casting someone who is right for the part but is a different skin color than what the character was previously established as?

I'd hate to have seen the shit storm had they cast an African-American for the role of Kirk or Spock.

16. Nerys Myk

Or maybe they rethought it and decided not to go with him for those very reasons.

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fie. You got me. KHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!

If we're now concerned about language, I ask that you please remove King Daniel's avatar that exclaims "FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK" in every single post. I don't know what meaning that has in Europe, but I'm pretty sure in the US it's something not nice.

18. JWPlatt

I think it means "let me introduce you to my sister."

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"

So it's just an amazing coincidence?

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

This isn't the appropriate place to tender a request of that nature, and sassing a forum mod with it in response to a request not directed at you is effectively pointless. Try PMing an Admin instead.