Was there ever a planet, where u said... "Surely that's good enough?"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Was there ever a planet, where u said... "Surely that's good enoug

Still plenty of time (especially since I only got here just now myself)! Just imagine, a galaxy littered with identical Irish Pubs. The preservers/guardians/galactic Johnny Appleseeds have nothing -- but NOTHING -- on the Guinness franchise for discovering the secret of universal fecundity.

As for the whole idea of colonization, though, I think that only came up three times: the 37s (where it was voted down 144 to zero); Resolutions (a life with no one but Chakotay? the horror! death by boredom by year's end...); and Year of Hell when the crew was sent out in escape pods with not much more than their uniforms on their backs (so much for all that technology). And that was a false start, obliterated with the universal reset button.

So methinks the Voyagers were always intended to be ... well, just what it says on the tin.

2. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

PS: I think the only Voyager with a reasonable chance to have something named after him would be Paris.

Oh wait, it's been done ...:guffaw:

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

:vulcan: That wasn't nice.

Nor is it accurate. T'Pring and T'Pau had noticeably different features and hairstyles from each other, let alone those dumb unisex bowl-haircuts used on TNG, DS9, and VOY.

I have a suspicion that the reason Janeway didn't schedule a prolonged stopover on some planet was because she didn't want the crew to get too attached to being on a planet instead of in space. She didn't institute "growing new crew" because - given the increased lifespans of humans in the 24th century - SHE firmly intended to still be Captain when they got back. Janeway was 40-something when the mission started; add 70 years to that, and she'd still be well within human lifespan. So who needs a new generation of crew when Janeway intends to command basically forever?

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the dark all Vulcans smell of dust.

5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, but remember, human life expectancy in the 24th century seems to be up to 150 (on average) - which is not that large given their technological capabilities and humans in real life already reached 120 - and setting a standard for people would not be that difficult since longer life expectancy seems to be correlating with lower calorie intake. Throw meditation into the mix, and you can probably surpass 120.
    Though, humans in real life are effectively poisoning their bodies with all sorts of chemicals that are used in agriculture (outdated as it is for our day and age - with too large of a footprint seeing how vertical farming employing hydroponics alone could severely reduce our footprint and produce foods that are rich in nutrition without using any chemicals, pesticides or gmo).

Setting what I said aside... you are correct that Janeway seemed to be in her 40-ies when Voyager departed and barring any premature death, could (canon-wise) still be in command 70 years later - and yet, in Endgame, she (and the rest of the crew) were portrayed as ageing geriatrics some mere 26 years later.
    Trek writers conveniently forgetting about the longer life expectancy.

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

Including those who don't live on desert planets? :rolleyes: You don't seem to have understood the concept of IDIC...

Huh? How is what you said any different from what I said? :confused: We both agree that Janeway starts the mission in her 40s, and even a full 70-year trip would still be within a normal human lifespan - so she could theoretically expect to still be in command 70 years later, assuming she didn't become physically or mentally incapacitated or dead.

7. teacake

You'll have to take that up with Tholos, he said it (and Ben Franklin).

8. teacake

Janeway was not that old.

From Memory Alpha:

According to an okudagram shown in "The Killing Game", she was born in 2344, however, this would mean she was only 27 in 2371 when she took command of the USS Voyager. For comparison, Mulgrew was 39 when she took the role. Not having played tennis for nineteen years since high school in 2373, Janeway was probably around the age of 35 when Voyager's mission began, placing her actual year of birth closer to 2336.An okudagram biography on the video game Starship Creator Warp II states her birth date as 2332.
    Kate Mulgrew stated in an interview on The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn (18 May 2001) that Admiral Janeway was 76 in "Endgame". It had taken her 23 years to return to Earth and they were celebrating the ten year anniversary at the beginning of the episode, making the year 2404, which puts her year of birth in 2328

9. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed... but my point was that the writers portrayed her future-self in Endgame as a woman who was too old - whereas she would reach 'half' her life expectancy if they adhered to the 150 years lifespan and appearance-wise, she shouldn't have had silver hair at all or look any older than her younger-self from 2378.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some people go grey before they're old.

the admiral was only from 17 years in the future.

besides we don't know how human longevity works.

their youth seems to flutter by just like our from all evidence, so really, I think that they don't even out/stabilize get ready for the long haul to two hundred until after their 60th birthday.

Forever Young is a fancy, most methods of immortality are a fecking curse.

11. teacake

I think you spend a lot longer as a healthy 60 year old in the future, as in you are probably at that level of fitness for decades. You don't get to spend the same amount of time as a 30 year old. McCoy looked quite decrepified and had seemigly looked like that for years.

As to her silver hair, it is lustrous and thick. Though it has turned grey it doesn't have the aged hair quality.

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Jean-Luc Picard is 59 when he assumes command of the Enterprise-D, and is 74 during the events of Nemesis.

Patrick Stewart himself was 47 in Encounter at Farpoint, and 62 during the events of Nemesis.

13. Guy Gardener

Right lets be honest.

If three quarters of the vital important powerfull human population has grey hair.

The kids under 40 are going to start dying their hair grey to seem "more adult" and less like a fuck up.

14. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone remember the reference on Janeways birthdate of the 20th of may? (Other than memory alpha.) Because that okudagram from "Killing Game" has not only an unlikely year but also another date.
    [​IMG]

15. teacake

CHAKOTAY: Happy birthday.
    JANEWAY: Happy what?
    CHAKOTAY: Today is May 20th.
    JANEWAY: Is it? I thought we were still in April. Guess I've lost track of the time.

Year of Hell

16. BirdInJetstream

Thanks!
    I know, why I really need that rewatch that I currently do...

17. teacake

It comes up every year when a Happy Birthday Janeway thread starts on May 20th, LOLOL..

18. BirdInJetstream

I guess I joined a bit too late for that. But I hope my brain is reliable enough not to ask again next year. :lol:

19. Guy Gardener

Three things, in order of lethality.

1. Women lie about their age.
    2. Women lie about everything else too.
    3. Men can't tell the truth either.

20. teacake

I have a friend who refuses to tell me her age because "people judge a woman on her age." She has adult kids and if she happens to mention that it is one of their birthdays and you ask her how old the kid is she will say she cannot remember in case someone does some math based on how old she was when she got married or whatever. It gets very convoluted and I avoid any mention of age of anything around her.

Admiral Janeway is, of course, gorgeous. Beautiful skin, hair the colour of a nickel. I think there is no botox in the future just sonic peels and other hot stuff that keeps you looking naturally glowy. Maybe they can delay menopause for a few decades without having hormonal backlashes. Or maybe they just have great treatments for cosmetic and other signs of aging like osteoporosis.