STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It was quite puzzling given that ST09 did perfectly fine with an original villain... or at least a non-name recognition villain. And the international market surely wouldn't have cared whether it was Khan or not. (Spock doing the Khan scream was pretty funny, though.)

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Look, it didn't have to be Khan. Although if I remember right, Khan's tube started to thaw on its own in "Space Seed" (since he was the leader). So that probably happened when Khan was discovered in the new universe, too. Of course, Marcus could have thawed out someone called Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, the augmented ruler of the British Commonwealth in 1996, for all it mattered. The story could've been the same. (And it would've allowed a great line of its own. In the brig, instead of Cumberbatch ending his story by saying, "My name is, Khan." He could've said, "There are some who call me, Tim.")

The fun was it was Khan. That's all. And to the extent it did add some publicity, that didn't hurt. (I'm sorry, the secret that it wasn't Khan wasn't that secret -- Abrams and his people are better than that.) It creates some nice symmetry, too. It means that in both universes, Khan was the catalyst that allowed Kirk to turn himself around at a critical point in his life. In both universes, Kirk needed Khan.

So, Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, or Khan? It was basically one nice, big, blatant Easter Egg, even if not all fans could appreciate it.

3. BigJake

:lol: Love it.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Well, they do say:

TFF is too easy a target, though, and the Wired piece seems to acknowledge it by taking only a half-hearted bash in commemoration of the 25-year anniversary. In spite of all its problems and the sharp turn to WTFery, I think I ultimately found that movie less disappointing than I did either TUC or Generations.

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TFF has a sense of fun and the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy interactions of all the films. On the flip side it has terrible FX and doesn't make a lick of sense. It's kinda like the Season 3 of Trek films. ;)

7. BigJake

TFF is the only Star Trek film I found literally unwatchable. I've still never made it all the way through, every second is just that cringe-worthy; nothing since comes remotely close.

8. BillJ

Star Trek: Insurrection is the only one of the twelve movies I find unwatchable. The rest are anywhere from passable to downright good.

9. BigJake

^ Maybe it depends on how nauseating one finds INS on the cutesy-humor front.

10. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's just something about watching the original cast together that I really enjoy; even if it's in a bad movie like TFF. To me, the cast, and their chemistry, makes TFF watchable. I think it's better than any of the TNG movies and certainly better than STID.

While TFF wasn't good, I do think its short comings were exaggerated. It's the 6th or 7th best Star Trek movie ever made.

11. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

Speaking of cutesy humor in ST movies, "Row, row, row your boat" was the nadir. Absolute worst ever. Cringe-in-the-movie-theatre bad.

12. The Doctor

I thought it was charming. These three old coots love each other, in their own ways.

13. Franklin

Yeah. You gotta cut them some slack. I think there was some alcohol involved, too. The moments around the campfire were touching. All three know they only have each other, and they're just fine with it. It could be a such a melancholy moment. They could come across as three lonely guys who gave their lives to service. But it's not that way. They are happy and satisfied with each other.

Frankly, I'd watch Kirk, Spock, and McCoy paint a room together.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  14. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. BillJ

16. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I actually did like the "lighter" moments in INSURRECTION just because it's nice to see the TNG crew loosen up after two heavy films. I think going for something lighthearted like THE VOYAGE HOME was the right call by Piller, but the suits wanted it to be an action film as well so it ended up as a jumbled mess.

ST09 isn't the worst film, but it does have the worst moment with Kirk running around with Nutty Professor hands. That attempt at slapstick comedy is just aaaaaaawwwful, especially given the context of Kirk trying to warn everyone of impending doom. This is why I usually lump the film with the TRANSFORMERS flicks, because it feels like something you'd see Shia doing on those flicks, frantically running around on a comedic note.

17. The Doctor

It's an odd choice for 'worst' moment. I'd have thought that Data's 'boob' comment would take that particular prize.

18. Franklin

So, Data's comment wins the "booby prize?"

Thank you. I'll show myself out.

19. The Doctor

This thread is over. Everyone please file calmly towards the exit.

20. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Insurrection was the closest to the TNG cast to enter into TOS-style campyness. I loved it for that reason.