Happy TOS Halloween!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jayrath, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We had Kirk as a "ghost" in Tholian Web, Satan in TAS, a salt vampire, and even Jack the Ripper in Wolf in the Fold. But Catspaw was the only Trek salute to Halloween in any of the series, so far as I can tell.

Short of Spock mind-melding with a Jack-o-lantern, what's your spookiest TOS or TAS episode?

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

One of the scariest for me had to be the 'salt vampire' from "The Man Trap". As cheesy as it might seem now, imagine yourself back in the late '60s. As a boy, I saw this on a huge (at the time) 21 inch screen. It was our first colour TV, and believe me, the colour made everything scarier!! It was an amazing thing to see and it scared the hell out of me at the time. As much as I love HD and all the new technology and special effects, those days of television were magnificent. Yes, indeed, the 'salt vampire' was scary and certainly made a lasting impression.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

The salt vampire is still creepy...

4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i always thought Galt from "gamesters of triskelion" would be pretty scary to wake up to standing over you in the middle of the night

5. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tribbles!

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:eek:

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was the electric violin that helped sell those scenes with "Sodium Sucker", especially during the "big reveal".

Sincerely,

Bill

8. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

When I was very young I found Pike's burned face terrifying! Also, I'll echo the sentiment about the salt monster.

I found Spock's Brain terrifying as well...but for other reasons. ;-)

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Happy Halloween to ALL

10. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The burping giant space cell that smacked Spock on the back freaked me out as a kid. Then when it fried? Ewwww!

But tonight, with my pumpkin lit and in the window, after ABC re-airs the Charlie Brown Halloween special, I'm going to rewatch "Wolf in the Fold," penned by Robert Bloch, screenwriter for "Psycho." (And also "Catspaw"!)

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved Wolf in the Fold when I was a kid, John Fiedler creeped me out big time with his high pitched voice.

Every time I sit through yet another "alien entity is Jack the Ripper" story (Bab 5, Sanctuary..) I'm yelling at the screen WOLF IN THE FOLD DID THIS ALREADY AND IT DID IT BETTER!!

I'm wondering if it did it first though.

12. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahh; Korub and Silvia. Weren't they both on "Hogan's Heroes"? I wish "Hogan's Heroes" was available on Netflix.

13. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The combination of TOS and Halloween inevitably makes me think of that book "Trek or Treat." Anyone remember that? The forerunner of today's caption contests.