post-Apocalyptic Zorro

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Abe Lincoln can be a vampire hunter, I guess this is kosher...

Can it at least be post-apocalyptic California? (We're more than halfway there now.) :D Then Ah-nud could get in the act too.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Keep him in California and make it a Fallout crossover! :p

3. Temis the Vorta

Post-Apocalyptic California is governed by killer robots with Austrian accents!!!

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Works better with the Phantom IMO.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Arnold as post-apocalyptic Zorro =

SOLD

6. Temis the Vorta

No no no no! Edward James Olmos as Zorro, battling the evil robotic Governator!

SOLD! :rommie:

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

This sounds as dumb as changing Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple to an American woman in her thirties.

If you take Zorro out of early-19th-century California, why even bother calling him Zorro? He’s just another avenging, swashbuckling hero in a mask.

At least I hope he still has his whip. :devil:

As a note of interest, Johnston McCulley, who created the character in 1919, lived to see the success of Disney’s Zorro TV series in 1958.

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Hasn't Batman already beaten him to a post-apocalyptic future?

9. Gaith

^ Not in movies, he hasn't.

AND HOW! :bolian:

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I would so watch that.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm intrigued.

12. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Bandaras and Catherine Zeta-Jones doing the stable sword-fight with lightsabers is going to be a LOT more dangerous.

13. Temis the Vorta

Not quite as dumb, because Miss Marple (and that TV series that's going to recast Poe as a snarky young detective) are The Most Obvious Hollywood Approach(TM). Just taking a unique character or person, stripping away everything unique and shoehorning them into a standard template that could be used for any sort of character at all.

The most obvious way to remake Zorro is to place him in modern-day LA as a vigilante, fighting gangs and whatnot (maybe he can compare notes with Wonder Woman). Turning Zorro into a sci-fi character isn't terribly original either, but it does show a smidge of creativity or at least the unexpected.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

At first I thought they meant literally lifting Zorro from his roots and dropping him into a post-apocalyptic world via time travel. (I was about to make a snarky Jonah Hex comment.) I might watch that.

But if they just mean some new Zorro in a future world... meh....

15. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    My first reaction to this was "Stupid." but the more I think about it, it all depends on the execution. If say, it's a post-apocalyptic world and a new hero is inspired by the legend of a Masked Hero named Zorro, I'd be interested in checking that out. Such ideas have been done in comic form with heroes like Batman before fairly successfully. I look at it as a "what if" scenario.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd give it a look.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's what I was thinking. At least The Phantom has been set through a number of eras and times. Zorro has always been set in 19th century California and is associated with the struggle for justice of the poor there.

Put him in a different era, (presumably) lose his whip and sword and he's not really Zorro. Why keep the name?

Anyone else reminded of the story about the Wachowskis making a futuristic Robin Hood with Will Smith?

18. Gaith

Though it has been done before...

Zorro is a weird situation in that his original story, published in 1919, is in the public domain, but there's an active trademark from Zorro Productions International on the character. This sounds like an effort to capitalize on the name, but deviate enough from the standard Zorro figure and trappings to avoid a legal showdown that faced another attempted third-party project a few years back.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

DC Comics did a post-apocalyptic Robin Hood miniseries, called "Outlaws." It was only okay.

20. Temis the Vorta

Does he have a lightsaber? :rommie: