USS DRAKE - My own design!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by NCC-1701-B, Apr 29, 2009.

1. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This ship fills the gap in the market in the movie era, a small science ship, smaller than the Miranda class, but more oriented toward stellar research.
    The design influences are from the Akira class and NX class. obviously based on the constitution class, so technology is compatible and swappable. The warp core is horizontal in one of the secondary hulls. and the other one is mainly research labs.

[​IMG]

2. Belryan

Belryan Ensign Newbie

Nice. Personally, I would fair the curves a bit more in the top view, or make them straighter.

One thing I've wondered about catamaran-style designs like this, is wouldn't it be an enormous pain in the butt to get from one catamaran/secondary hull to the other?

3. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Ummm...that's just a Loknar-Class variant.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

5. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

6. NCC-1701-B

So is the oberth class, and the nebula class, and the ambassador class. its all opinion... and i respect your opinion. how can i make it better then?

7. Arkady

Arkady Lieutenant Commander

That would be a No.

8. Arkady

Arkady Lieutenant Commander

9. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

must admit i kinda like the loknar myself almost as good as the constitutions

as for your drake ncc1701-b it's pretty good though id have probaly made the catamaran hulls horizontial myself

10. sojourner

From a design perspective, the catamarans are much too organic when compared to the art deco style of the other pieces. The tmp designs use lots of straight lines with curves limited to rounding corners or capping the straight pieces.

11. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

i like it. the drake is a nice looking ship.

12. NCC-1701-B

Thanks. i will make a version with Straight parts and see how that turns out.

13. NCC-1701-B

Here it is!
    [​IMG]

14. sojourner

OK, that is definitely and improvement!

15. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, let me play "professor" here. Note that, obviously, all this is made-up (from ANY of us) so there's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it, really. But I hope that you'll take this as what it's intended to be... helpful.

As I look at this ship, the first thing that comes to my mind is "what makes it a science vessel?" I see some general shapes, but nothing that says "this is a vessel with a specific purpose."

So, what, exactly, is this ship supposed to be able to do? What specializations does it have that makes it more capable of doing that than a ship of some other class might be able to do? Does it have some form of specialized sensors? If so, would we be able to see this on the exterior of the ship? Does it have lots of internal laboratory space? If so, are these just "regular cabins" which are converted into labs, or are these big specialized spaces (like they had on Regula One, for instance?)

As I look at this ship, I get a very FASA-like feel (and unlike with some folks around here, that's not necessarily a negative when I say it!).

But... for me, when I see a ship with a specific purpose, I'd like to think that I could guess that purpose without being told. A ship with lots of torpedo tubes and phasers is probably a battleship. A ship with a small crew hull, relatively large powerplant and engine set, is most likely a fast scout or a courier. A ship with big "warehouse spaces" evident is most likely a cargo carrier. A ship with lots of high-powered sensor emplacements is most likely a science vessel or a surveillance vessel. And so on and so on.

So... what makes this a science vessel? :)

16. NCC-1701-B

Helpfull comments, i just picked science vessel for no reason, i will add some sensor pallets to the saucer rim and add some extra little deflectors around.

Thanks for the help

17. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

hey thats a lot better feels more like a tmp era ship:)

i was wondering if maybe you could usesome of vances toolkits for the nacelles and saucer make em a bit tidier?
    no critisim just a thought

would love to see a bow view when you get time.

18. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

The new design is a definite improvement -- ESPECIALLY the raised section on the rear of the saucer hull, which provides much-needed space for luxuries like a warp core and a shuttle bay...

A buttload of sensors would make this a science vessel...

Along with another buttload of labs...

Cargo space for assorted specimens...

A tractor beam, transporters and specialized shuttles (for collecting assorted specimens)...

19. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

NCC-1701-B

I like your second version, but would you be willing to make the nacelle supports a little more robust? I've always been a big fan of the idea that the technology in Star Trek allows for structures like the support pylons and neck to be deceptively fragile looking, but in reality, are quite the opposite. But in some cases, simply from a fan design point of view, some things just look like they don't work (to me)...

In this case, I'd like to see something a little more substantial connecting the nacelles to your design.

I think they connect in an odd place on the nacelles- perhaps flipping them, and moving them back just a wee bit...

20. NCC-1701-B

Sorry for bumping, but its an ongoing design. I didn't see the need in making a new thread!

Good ideas, i will work on them now. I guess I should do some higher res workin future!