Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jon1701, May 10, 2013.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I assume that the next in line was Keenser and he left with Scotty.

For me, I liked the use of the line. I think it actually works better with Spock. They built up the idea that Spock was suppressing his emotions more than usual due to losing his mother and planet. He lost Pike and felt his emotions as he died. Then he loses his friend, a man willing to risk his career to save him. A man who he knows is supposed to be his friend and that the two are supposed to share a destiny and achieve greatness together. In that moment, he lost it all and all that control breaks down.

That is Spock getting pissed and I thought was extremely well done.

2. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

moment for me was a non issue; its weird, never even thought of Old Kirk's line from TWOK

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Re: Spocks line *Major Major Spoilers*

I might consider doing that myself, if things get to that point with the people I know.

4. DavidLeeRoth

DavidLeeRoth Lieutenant Red Shirt

Spock yelling "Khan!" was cheesy. The third act of the film was a bit anti-climatic overall, IMHO.

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

:wtf:

6. DavidLeeRoth

It rehashed the third act of TWOK, they put Khan on ice, end of movie. It wasn't very interesting, IMO, but flat. I would have liked some kind of twist. Perhaps Kirk agrees to let Khan get stranded on a planet, as he did in "Space Seed" or something.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I missed the part in ST2 where Kirk beamed over to the Reliant and fought Khan in a hand to hand battle to stop the Genesis device. :p

8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You think that would've been a twist?

The film uses one specific element from TWoK, that's hardly a whole act.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought Spock's scream was pretty bad. One of the few flaws of the movie.

10. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I'm gonna say, and I was waiting for it, is I'm glad Kirk didn't say "Live long...and prosper" as he was dying. That really would have gone too far.

11. DavidLeeRoth

But you did see the part where Spock seals himself in a radioactive section of engineering to save the ship and dies followed by his BFF weeping on another side of a door while saying goodbye?

I liked the movie, it was enjoyable, it's still about a million times better than those awful Star Wars prequels, but it wasn't a great movie and the rehashing of TWOK was a weakness, IMO.

12. DavidLeeRoth

It did more than use one specific element. It rehashed one of the most iconic scenes in any Trek movie/show (badly) for the big climatic scene, only it had none of the poignancy of TWOK. It was weak, lazy and unnecessary, IMO.

13. Awesome Possum

It was also the payoff of Spock's storyline in the film. The whole film he is having issues with his own emotions and how he feels about death. If you remove the scene, it has to be replaced with something similar or else Spock doesn't really get a storyline with a conclusion.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Pfft. Silly. It's not a twist unless something goes exactly how you want it to go.

15. Awesome Possum

I hope the twist to Man of Steel is that he becomes Superman.

16. DavidLeeRoth

What if Uhura was kidnapped by Khan and Spock had to break protocol and rules to rescue her? If she had been put in danger and Spock had to show some emotion it could have worked well.

17. DavidLeeRoth

I hope that the twist is that it's better than that POS Superman Returns.

18. Awesome Possum

Given that it all revolved around experiencing death, not really. Kidnapped girlfriends were extremely cliched a hundred years ago and goes against everything that Uhura has become in the new movies if she suddenly turned in a damsel in distress. Uhura would save herself somehow.

Pushing Pike's death back might have worked. But they set up more of a bond between Pike and Kirk than Pike and Spock. They would have never killed Uhura, which would probably have him kill Khan and have it take a dark turn.

19. DavidLeeRoth

Okay, the damsel in distress would have been a cliche.

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

You want to know a real twist? If it turns out he's Clark Kent.