Kate Mulgrew's decision to not have a romance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by RB_Kandy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let me know how that works out. :)

2. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I totally agree, NG with Enterprise being a family ship made sense. Think of it this way, wagon trains west had wives and children on them, isolated army forts in the west had wives and children in them. Core families don't traditionally separate when it involves time consuming distances, they go together.

But of course if you think your demographic is young males, you distort reality. Years and years ago I had one male member of the old Decipher board tell me that he disliked Voyager because it tried to be about family. I couldn't think of one single television show that wasn't about family or friends with family like connections.

I agree about Trek Lit too, after reading the Destiny books I do have one request, that Mack never try to write pregnancy again, he is not good at it.

I've heard various gripes about Voyager staying too clean, always being repaired to perfectly to be realistic. What I think is also the lack of children is unreality too. After seven years there were have been lots of children aboard.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Couldn't agree more about the pregnancies. Dumbchilling reading.

I hope they NEVER do this to Janeway. I can see it now, oh J/C needs some angst let's give them a baby! Only lets make it so one of them is of two minds about this but can't tell the other one how they truly feel and lets drag it out for three novels because everyone knows this is how adults behave.. oh gag me.

4. Guy Gardener

brit, the antitime Enterprise form yesterdays Enterprise and the regular Enterprise were exactly the same size even though one was built as a troop carrier in a time or war and the other was built in peace time.

Taking "familes" with them was joke by architects who wanted to build shps that could be quickly retrofitted into troop carriers for when peace tiime eventually transitioned into wartime.

A state room for the wife and 2 kids can easier be turned into a billet for 12 Starfleet marines in a couplke hours by the engineering corps.

5. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

LOL I am pretty sure there was a lot of that, I don't have a problem with it either. Just saying that in times of expansion, families were what was expanding. Even Voyager's back story for some characters suggests families in space (I'm thinking Mort Harren). I think that space cargo carriers were most likely family businesses too.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm all for it. Romance with a subordinate would invite questions of favoritism. It shouldn't ever be allowed.

7. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Except that most rules of that sort established in a work environment have nothing to do with favoritism, and everything to do with coercion. True relationships are based on feelings and people do not turn feeling on and off.

Who makes the better commander, a human that walks around suppressing feelings of isolation and loneliness, or a human that has his/her needs for companionship addressed.
    Married people live longer, are healthier and make better decisions.

http://socyberty.com/relationships/why-do-people-get-married/

A lot of Trek fans moan the lack of reality, well here is a reality for you. Janeway would have had a relationship, I personally ship J/C but that is beside the point, It could have easily been J/7 or anyone else's pairing, bottom line is that she would have had a relationship with someone and it most likely would have been monogamous. That is how things work in the real world.

8. Guy Gardener

Maybe she served under a bad captain who used the junior officers like a brothel?

She could have gotten in trouble or made trouble, but either way it painted her attitudes permanently.

(By trouble I do not mean pregnant.)

9. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

I'm with you there teacake, mostly. I think that J&C will have at least one child eventually, but if they drag it out for three freaking books just to throw in a little angst...ughhhh.

If these two do ever end up having children...just let it be normal...for the sake of the fandom.

10. Guy Gardener

She wouldn't pick him, or take advantage of a convenience, but what about as a last resort?

"Hey Kathryn? if we're both turn 70 and got no one special, how about we hook up?"

11. teacake

He was already talking like this in Elogium which was the fourth ep of season 2 and coyly all about mating.

12. Guy Gardener

She said that they should ban fraternization because it ruined morale and discipline, Chakotay countered with them needing a replacement crew come the half way mark, which was such a reasonable thing to say that she stopped talking without confirming that he wasn't wrong.

The Quakers at the end of the 19th century were a massive religious and political movement in America, however, unfortunately they banned sex even between married couples. They believed that they should only expand their ranks through adoptions. Which explains their near but extinction.

Surely by banning sex but between the same ranks, is the construction of a class system which is illegal under the federation by-laws? It's more than possible that such backward thinking bound into pro tem regulations is highly illegal and warrants a court-martial and dishonourable discharge.

Which is ironic.

Since all Kathryn is trying to do, is stop dishonourable discharges between her crew.

13. teacake

That was the Shakers, not the Quakers.

And it was Chakotay that was all "omg whut we gonna do" when he caught the couple kissing in the turbolift. Kathryn thought it was sweet.

14. Guy Gardener

I'm probably mashing Elogium together with Scientific Method.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I saw Janeway as a sexless being.

She always seem like those women that picked a career over a family.

16. teacake

Psst.. Dream... not procreating does not sexless..

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think the only time she hooked up with a guy was in Workforce, but that was when she had been midewiped.

18. Guy Gardener

Sexlessness is an attitude, not a litany, or lack of litany of sleazy conquests.

She ran a brothel in, you say cafe I say brothel, haven't you ever watched 'Allo, 'Allo?

Now she may not have had that much sex during the WWII simulation as she was the was the Madame, but Kathryn would have had all the correct memories implanted into her of being a young whore( correct word!), and the German soldiers would have been handing over money to her to sleep with Seven of Nine and the other waitresses working in her "bar".

19. teacake

OMG my power is finally back on. I've been sitting in the dark watching random episodes of Babylon 5 on my laptop before the battery died, drinking sherry and eating crackers under a blanket. It's been just like the blitz in London. I don't even like sherry, I've had this bottle for four years but sometimes it is atmospheric to drink it. 12 hours without the internet, I wanted to die.

Anyway. She was wearing a tux in the Killing Game, I am sure the only person she was having sex with was her beautiful money counting accomplice of the silver evening dress. Now maybe she was pimping her out as well.. but I doubt it. I think she had more ornamental value to the venue as the Madame's mistress.

20. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I don't think the Hirogen were thinking about sex within the holographic simulation of WW2 at all, they were all about the glorious "Hunt". So no, I don't think there was any actual pimping or copulation going on. Even B'Elanna's pragnancy was only a simulation to inhance the hunt. It isn't called "Killing Game" for nothing.

Oh and Dream, just have a look at the ongoing thread here in the Voyager Section, "How is Janeway Sexy."