Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just feels pretty fast to me. The switch to not wanting to work for Sheridan because of wanting his own freedom to not wanting to work for him because of trust issues and how Sheridan is doing the wrong thing went pretty fast, especially if you watch a few eps back to back.

2. Mage

I'm aware of this, it's just that this is the first time watching it became so aware to me just how rushed it was.

3. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But i dont think it's supposed to feel exactly natural, considering Bester and Harlan-cop did do work on him. The audience is supposed to know something is off.

4. Mage

Ofcourse, but I prefer it would have taken one or two episodes longer, build up to his resentment towards Sheridan a bit more.

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 4 was originally supposed to end with Sheridan's capture on Mars wasn't it?

I actually love the pacing of the fourth season, it's absolutely break-neck at times. I think the start of the fifth season suffers because of it, but I probably still wouldn't change anything if I could.

6. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really like B5 but its difficult at first when you see just how awful the CGI is, not to mention the flimsy sets made of cardboard. The Centauri throne room set was a fucking joke.

7. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:wtf:

8. wingsabre

wingsabre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would actually like to see B5 remastered, but I don't think there's big enough of a following for WB to do it.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I explains the slick CGI as certain types of metals myself,

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Pardon the thread highjack but I feel this is important and there may be folks here who might not see the other thread downstream. JMS called a special panel in order to pay tribute to Rick Biggs, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway and, especially, Michael O'Hare.

There's a report about it here and the audio portion of JMS talking about Michael's struggle.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollyw...Promise-To-Late-Star-At-Phoenix-ComiCon-Panel

Jan

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention that the original VFX files/models have been lost.

The best you're ever likely to get would be a remaster of the existing (does it still exist?) live action footage, with upscaled VFX, much in the same way that Firefly on BD was handled. There is an additional problem though - the composite shots were rendered at 720 x 480 pixels (for 4:3) - That gives you problems if you try and change the aspect ratio like they did on the DVDs (16:9) as there's no way of doing that without impairing the video quality.

Hence, the only way the series could be remastered, without going back and doing the composite VFX and re-rendering them, would be to retain the 4:3 aspect ratio (like the TNG BDs), and upscale the VFX and composite shots.

But then you're back to your point WBs would never do it because they don't seem to think that there's enough people to worry much about B5 anymore. :rolleyes:

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^If memory serves, I think even some of the live action footage has been lost/damaged due to poor storage. No idea how much or how badly, but I recall rodents were involved.

So yeah, whichever way you cut it, a HD remastering of B5 has all kinds of obstacles, not the least of which is WB not having a clue what they have or what to do with it.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The rodents ate some of the negatives to "The Gathering," but most of it must have been intact, since JMS was still able to re-edit it to create the special edition after making the rodent discovery. I don't think I've read about any further damage to the series negatives, but it's possible.

In any event, Babylon 5 has a limited (and diminishing) fan base, and isn't currently playing in syndication (wasn't it also pulled from Netflix streaming?). The lack of interest from Warner Bros. comes as no surprise, really.

This is a shame, really, as I'd pay a pretty penny to see the series in HD. Heck, I'd be happy to see it (again) on DVD, if they bothered to release it in its original aspect ratio.

14. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think its sad too, because Babylon 5 is my 2nd favorite sci-fi series. I bet you throw this show onto a network prime time, it would suddenly get a huge following. IT has the story arc to keep interest of any drama on tv.

I didnt take time to look at all 92 pages of this thread. So This quote has probably been already posted, but I think its so good, that if it has, it deserves to be quoted again, and it my favorite quote from anything.

-G'kar -Babylon 5

That quote stirs deep thoughts in me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I am slowly making my way through the series. According to my earlier post, I started watching season 1 in August 2012, and I finished Season 2 sunday night, December 1, 2013. I have season 3 on order from Amazon and should have it by this weekend. It was a little slow in ramping up, but I'm really enjoying it now. Sadly I don't have a lot of time to watch, but hopefully I can get through season 3 by the end of February.

16. Kirby

Just finished Season 3s War Without End part 2. This show is really picking up steam, and I'm really enjoying how they're connecting the dots between things that are happening. One thing that is just weird and distracting is that Bruce Boxleitner tends to smile at the end of a lot of his lines, which just seems really odd to me.

17. Kirby

Just watched Season 4's Endgame, and am loving where this show is going! I understand that Season 5 is a bit different, but I'm ordering it right after I hit 'Post' here.

18. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I really liked this series though i watched it partially out of order and only later got to see it again mostly in order. So i saw plenty of episodes with Sheriden before i saw any of the first season with Sinclair. I think the episode where the B4 gets taken into the past was one of the first i saw but thankfully im the kinda person who doesnt mind spoilers and its not like i could tell at the time which bits of the epsiode were spoilers.

I liked Sinclair, more than Sheridan i think, its a shame he couldnt have been in the series more. Ivanova was great and Marcus and i really liked the character of Neru for some reason even though he was usually antagonistic to Delen and the others.

19. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Just watched B5 from the beginning. I didn't mind the F/X and it holds up overall. STill my favorite TV show along with DS9.

20. spacedock1

spacedock1 Ensign Red Shirt

I agree about the f/x.Ships like the white star and the EAS Agamemnon still look good. The quality of the stories told is just as, or more important factors to consider when people remember a show.For example in the 70s the f/x on doctor who were considered inferior to Space 1999.But Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker is still shown on Tv in 2014 in the UK.Whereas Space 1999 is not.