Riker in First Contact (episode, not the film)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by indolover, Dec 11, 2012.

1. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I like how the writers sneaked in a "I had sex with an alien" scene lol..

That said, how can alien species even have sex? :lol:

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Basic insert slot A into slot B theory applies, even if the slots may be different shapes and in different places.

3. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

that's if the slots are compatible. lol..

For all one knows inserting may lead to an infection or worse. And not in a bad way, but a "slot" of an alien female may contain material only biologically compatible with males of her species.

4. R. Star

Voyager's EMH implied that intimate relations with a Bolian can be hazardous to a human's health. :p

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, sex with different species is hardly new in Star Trek. Their first alien EVER, was the result of Human/Vulcan mixing. Then there was Deanna Troi, Kehlar, Belanna Torres, Simon Tarses, and many others whom I can't think of right now.
    In fact some other sci-fi, such as Larry Niven's Known Space series, and Babylon 5 have featured races where sexual relations is a formal part of diplomacy, (although Ivonova managed to bluff her way out of it.) I believe in the Larry Niven universe it's called Rishathra.

6. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

:bolian:

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if nothing else, they could have had Clinton/Lewinsky "Relations"

8. Eat-Da-Tribble

Eat-Da-Tribble Ensign Newbie

After a long exposure to diverse pathogens, he acquired inmunity to a large variety of STD.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Or the standard load of inoculations SF personnel get includes alien STD's.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of the second set of teeth.

:)

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

^ For whatever reason, I read your comment and then your username. It hit my funny bone. I just about spilled my coffee. Well done.

12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was also Harry Kim (Harry Kim?) having sex with the alien woman from the really long ship from "The Disease". He'd only say "It was different."

13. R. Star

Not all species keep their genitals in the same place, Captain.

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has to be probably the thing that irks me the most about Star Trek in general.

Interspecies sex. That doesn't happen on Earth. It wouldn't happen in space.

Any "race" that we are biologically compatible with stops being a race, and become a small variation of the same race! (as it is here on Earth).

To add insult to injury, the Star Trek "pairings" tended to be super hot women with weird looking alien "males". DS9 took it to extremes.

I don't think the reverse was seen much at all.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That wasn't just on Trek.

It happened all the time on other tv shows and movies so much that it has become a trope. It is especially common on comedies with the dumb average looking husband and the hot wife.

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Hey, we do need something to give hope to guys who look like me.

17. GalaxyX

It's stupid enough when other shows do it. But Trek doing the same irks me to no end. Particularly because of what's already been mentioned about alien races being compatible with humans, but the mere idea that alien males would find human women to be desirable. A bull doesn't desire a human woman, it desires a cow. A rooster desires a hen.

A ferengi should find human women revolting, as we know they find humans in general hideous. Yet we see Ferengi in TNG and DS9 actively seeking the hottest human females they can get. To what end?

18. GalaxyX

Double post, sorry.

19. R. Star

Sentient beings are different than animals. They have the ability to see sex as something for pleasure as opposed to a natural instinct to procreate, therefor can have varied tastes.

For example, how many people find those green Orion slave girls hot? Or T'Pol or any other various women of the week?

20. GalaxyX

That's because those women are basically hot looking human females with a "one off" characteristic, like having a green skin colour, or T'Pol who is the same except for pointy ears and a bowl haircut.

Animals don't "think" of sex as just for pleasure, but they could give a fuck about procreation either. They simply feel the need to get off, and act accordingly to fulfill those needs. Humans are the same way. We don't fuck because of the "pleasure". We fuck because there is a need caused by chemicals in our brains that make us desire to get off with sex.

I don't think I ever saw in Trek a handsome looking guy with an ugly looking alien woman.

The writers just took the sleazy way out to get more people to watch, which was "makes alien women be hot, but with some characteristic that won't take the hotness away" and then pair them up with hideous looking males.