The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ThomastheCat

ThomastheCat Captain Captain

For a more direct comparison:

[​IMG]

Not really scientific by any means but it might be helpful.

2. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

They are the same.

Look at those images.
    In both you can clearly see these 'bulges' around the (nacelle's) hull.

3. ThomastheCat

I don't think they're the same. The angle for the intercooler is steeper than the angle on the other area. Plus the curve along the top of the piece in the right photo doesn't appear consistent with the straight perspective seen on the intercooler.

4. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the two shots are from completely different perspectives, comparing angles is pointless. its my impression that the shot in question is intended to be of one of the nacelles, with camera aft looking forward.

5. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll personally print out this forum page and eat it if that isn't a nacelle.

6. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That only counts if you promise to take a picture of you doing it and post it here!

7. ThomastheCat

Another possibility that hasn't gotten much discussion is that it's at the rear of the secondary hull looking forward and the big hole up front is where the neck will go...

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know it's silly to say this on this forum, but does anyone realize how pointless this discussion has become? :lol:

9. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

It actually looks like the plating wraps around the corner on the outer top side and not as it would just end there, which can be expected, if something is to be attached there.

10. Arlo

Cary -

Tell ya what-- and I'm serious-- Instead of putting possibly dangerous inkjet chemicals and paper product in my mouth, I'll put money there instead:

If what is shown in the teaser trailer is *not* a nacelle, I will personally donate $75 to the charity of your choice. And yes, I will scan the check/paypal receipt/whatever and post it here as proofination.

Deal? :)

11. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Well, Arlo, I happen to agree with you. It's a nacelle, but I think the orientation is not quite right. In my opinion "we're" looking/positioned between what would be the intercoolers facing/looking aft. There appears, at least to me, what could be a small dude with a light standing off in the distance on top of what I think is the rear end of the nycelle. I've got a 22" model on my workbench right now and I sighted it last night. The proportions work out almost perfectly.

And, yes, Forbin, this is getting to be pointless. The finial VFX are likely to change quite a bit from some teaser trailer that was made very early on in production, quite possibly when most of the VFX shots were still nothing more than story board drawings and crude animatics.

I for one, just hopes that SOME model company out there gives us a decent, accurate, model to build of what ever the damn thing ends up looking like. Oh and, yes, Forbin, we'll be expecting several kitbashes from you.... ;)

Q2UnME

12. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if you really want to do that, I'd be fine with it, but as a rule I'm not really a betting man, and I don't particularly encourage that with others (long story involving a family member who had a gambling problem).

I was really trying to make a little joke... ya know? ;)

Still, I think it's more debatable than some of you guys do... it really really looks like the back of the 1701(r)... in form and in size... more than it does like any nacelle detail I've ever seen (including the one seen here). But as I've said... we'll all know soon enough, won't we?

13. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You make a good point here. Perhaps the comparison worth making is not to a photo of the aft secondary hull of a 1701 model, but rather to a photo of the aft secondary hull of a 1701 refit model. :)

Though I think it's a nacelle, the lack of any radiating screen on the intercoolers makes them look like... well, to quote somebody, wings. :eek:

14. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

It really looks nothing like a secondary hull to me. Too narrow in the front. I think that those trailer nacelles look as big around as the engine hull anyway, so I wouldn't go by size alone.

15. Arlo

Well if it was a real bet, you would have to pony up if I was right..but no matter, if that's against your principles, I'll let it go. Anything to get out of eating paper :)

16. blue_one

blue_one Captain Captain

I don't post here much anymore, but this comment made me think (dangerous, I know...).

We've been hearing for some time that this film may involve time travel and/or alternate universes. And we've probably all noticed the distinct similarities between the teaser Enterprise and the E-refit. So my (dangerous) thought is, what if the Enterprise we see in the teaser actually is the refit?

I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a publicity point of view, but it makes some twisted sort of sense in my head... ;)

17. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

You are just going to ignor that in both pictures there is this very dark bulge encircling the nacelles hull (at the end of the Körner-hoodswhatever)?

18. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I'm in.
    But let us make that just 25 €.
    It is just a CG-model :D ;)

19. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

You're right, Cary. This is the shot I was talking about. (Took me a while to figure out a way to do this...)

If the image Cary posted is really going to be in the movie, this bodes ill for Gabe's Enterprise being in the movie. I can't see this view being possible anywhere on Gabe's model.

I don't believe this is a view of the nacelle looking forward. (The cooling fins are ***WAY*** too close to the dome. There should be about half the length of the nacelle between the cooling fins and that dome if it's on the front.) If this is a view of the nacelle, it's much more likely a view looking aft, with a raised dome on the rear of the nacelle (again, looking bad for the odds of being Gabe's Enterprise).

Another idea that makes me feel kind of ooky in my stomach is the center dome might be the rear of the bridge dome and the raised sections on either side might lead into the impulse engine...

(Shudder with fear and loathing...)

20. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gotta say, I agree with you on this one. It looks like a nacelle to me.

Can anybody whip one up in Illustrator? :)

Hmm, who here could do that? :looks around:

And, genius moment, IF it's a nacelle, with those dudes on there working, we should be able to deduce a more accurate idea of scale, yes? Assuming of course that these nacelles are as tall as they are wide, and assuming that those dudes aren't Oompa Loompas.