Cover for TOS: The More things change

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 7, 2014.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are the covers of the last five eBook exclusives.

One the one hand you could argue they're consistent, on the other hand I just think it's not really original to have "ship shots" on all of them.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The Trill involvement sounds interesting, especially since Audrid was the head of Trill Symbiosis Commission in her time and involved in the Trill symbionts & parasite storyline in the DS9-R.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect that cost savings may have something to do with it. :borg:

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm aware of that.

But there could at least be some diversity among the "cheap" covers IMO. Heck, at least use slightly altered stock head shots here and there for all I care.

6. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is this Trill 1st contact then?

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because we know canonically that Tobin Dax visited Vulcan and Emony Dax knew the young Leonard McCoy as a student. According to The Lives of Dax, Trill's first contact was with the Vulcans in 2075. And Tobin has been a recurring character in The Romulan War and Rise of the Federation.

8. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks, there is a lot of Trek out there I haven't read but now that you mention McCoy that was referenced on the DS9 Tribble episode right?

9. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ That's right.

10. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Y'know I'd love to see a Myriad Universes story where knowledge of Trill symbionts is public at an earlier date than the 24th century. Oh, and the unacknowledged caste system on Trill and the dumbasses in the Symbiosis Commission also come down at an earlier date.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

How original.

12. Scott Pearson

Scott Pearson Writer Captain

With only three days until its release, I realize I should have posted something like this earlier. But here's a slightly more detailed synopsis that could go on the back cover if it weren't an eBook. ;)

"When Dr. Christine Chapel and Spock have to evacuate Audrid Dax from the Enterprise due to a medical emergency, Chapel is frustrated by Trill customs that don't allow her to treat her patient. Chapel finds herself questioning her long-term plans while also dealing with Spock's changing personality following his mind meld with V'ger. Soon, however, they have bigger problems when an unidentified vessel ambushes their shuttlecraft. They are forced into a dangerous cat-and-mouse game to evade their attacker long enough to get Dax to the Trill doctors who can save her life. Along the way, Chapel discovers much about herself, Spock, and the secrets of the Trill."

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm a huge continuity nerd (as if the link in my signature didn't give it away) so I'm curious - do you stick to Christopher's post-TMP continuity or go your own way, and are there any references?

14. Christopher

Either way, it should be interesting to see someone else tackle Spock's post-TMP personality shift.

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I'm glad he's even acknowledging it.

16. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Oh wow that sounds really good! Hitting lots of fanboy buttons there for me. Now if McCoy could just meet Audrid...

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was depicted in The Lives of Dax.

18. Christopher

I think you're thinking of McCoy and Emony in Mike Friedman's story. The Audrid story featured Pike.

19. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Yes, it was Emony and McCoy that were involved, which is why I think it would be cool for Audrid to meet McCoy.
    I did like McCoy's reaction to learning about the Dax symbiote and her past lives, including memories of life as a male. One of the better uses of the Trill symbiotes as metaphor for being transgender.

20. Scott Pearson

Scott Pearson Writer Captain

My goal was to not break any Ex Machina continuity outright, but maybe bend things a little bit to give my story room to go its own way. At this point, I've kind of lost track, so I'm counting on continuity nerds like yourself to figure out what I did and then come up with retcons to fix it! I didn't want to write mine in a way that required people to have read Christopher's, so there's only a small reference that I intended as a callback to a specific scene in Machina.

It was fun to extrapolate the impact on the Chapel/Spock dynamic. I was playing off a scene from Machina and then turning it up to eleven, if you will. But this is very much Chapel's story, so it's more about her growth and how that affects her reaction to Spock's changes.

Don't worry, I just had to work in a scene with McCoy and Audrid together. ;)

I wanted to maintain continuity with The Lives of Dax—there are some specific references to that—as well as Christopher's post-TMP work, but the timeline has gotten rather intricate there, so I'm just hoping it's close enough for Federation work . . . :techman: