Favorite Doctor and or Favorite Era

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by M.A.C.O., Jul 11, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

I can proudly say I have run and completed this gauntlet.
    My ranking of the Doctors is

1. 5th
    2. 10th
    3. 4th
    4. 11th
    5. 3rd
    6. 9th
    7. 1st
    8. 7th
    9. 2nd
    10. 8th ( I audiobook also)
    11. 6th

Please share yours.

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't really rank them in the same way; I pretty much like Troughton, T. Baker and Smith as joint-favourites, and the rest just below them equally. There isn't one Doctor I outright dislike, although I think C. Baker's audio incarnation is a huge improvement on his TV persona.

My favourite eras are Season 7, the Hinchcliffe years and the "new series" (while neither RTD's or Moffat's run are perfect, I love elements of both - if they could collaborate on the series I'd be very happy!)

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1. Sylvester McCoy
    2. Tom Baker
    3. Patrick Troughton
    4. William Hartnell
    5. Colin Baker
    6. Jon Pertwee
    7. Matt Smith
    8. Peter Davison
    9. Christopher Eccleston
    10. Paul McGann
    11. David Tennant

My favourite seasons are Season 1, Season 7, Season 12, Season 13, Season 14, Season 18, Season 22, Season 25, and Season 26.

Least favourite seasons are RTD Who Series 2 and RTD Who Series 4.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well at the moment mine would probably line up like this, though really it's always somewhat fluid, certainly Tennant Tom and Eccleston could quite easily reaarange themselves in my head if asked the same question next week.

1 Matt Smith
    2 Peter Davison
    3 Patrick Troughton
    4 David Tennant
    5 Tom Baker
    6 Christopher Eccleston
    7 Sylvester McCoy
    8 Jon Pertwee
    9 William Hartnell
    10 Paul McGann
    11 Colin Baker

As for favourite eras, I'd go with Davison's. That's not an objective observation, and it is tinged with more than a little nostalgia but it's my era and my Doctor. Other than that I do like Hinchcliffe's time, and for the most part I've enjoyed Moffat's era thus far. Hard to speak of an era I've hated, probably Colin/early McCoy.

5. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1st - Tom Baker
    2nd - Peter Davison
    3rd - Patrick Troughton
    4th - William Hartnell
    5th - Sylvester McCoy
    6th - Colin Baker
    7th - David Tennant
    8th - Matt Smith
    9th - Paul McGann
    10th - Christopher Eccleston
    11th - Jon Pertwee

In terms of quality of stories I prefer the sixties particularly seasons 1-5. Not a massive fan of the modern series with only Series 4 being up to standard - series 6 is the worst series of Who by a long way.

6. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

1. Jon Pertwee. This never changes, and never will. The rest has changed slightly in recent years, though.

2. Patrick Troughton / Matt Smith

4. William Hartnell / Peter Davison

6. Eccleston

7. C Baker

8. T Baker

9. McGann

In some foetid dungeon: McCoy

In some deep ocean abyss: Tennant.

As for era... All of Pertwee's run, everything I've seen of Troughton, the pre-Susan's departure of Hartnell, the Pond years with Smith, the Sarah-Jane and Leela years with T Baker (can't stand him but many of my favourite serials are from his era), most of the Davison years... Really, the only periods I simply cannot stand are McCoy and Tennant.

7. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Its surprisingly difficult to do this list because I really don't believe there has ever been a 'bad' Doctor, but this is my order of preference

1 - Jon Pertwee (he IS The Doctor)
    2 - Peter Davison
    3 - Matt Smith
    4 - Tom Baker
    5 - Patrick Troughton
    6 - David Tennant
    7 - Paul McGann
    8 - Christopher Eccleston
    9 - Sylvester McCoy
    10 - Colin Baker

It would be unfair to include William Hartnell on the list because I haven't seen enough of his serials to base a judgement.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I can honestly say that I like all of the Doctors equally.

As far as favorite era, though, I was very tempted to go with Series 17, but I think I have to go with Series 25 instead because it was such a turnaround for the Seventh Doctor from the bumbling clown he was in the previous series to a master manipulator with a touch of darkness.

9. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

My favorite eras have to be Third Doctor through the Fifth Doctor. There is something inherently cool about the early 70's. Pertwee's era in the 70's being low tech high science and his adventures with UNIT and the Brig bring smiles to my face.

The Tom Baker years I found exciting because it was like watching a theater show on television. The adventure, the comedy, the performances. All spot on and unique.

The Davison years I correspond to the most. There is a sense of adventure and mystery to be had. There is a good sense of family about it with Nyssa, Tegan, Adric and Turlough. As well as a sense of tradgedy when one by one all Fivey's companions leave him. Which I found way more powerful than the overlong, drawn out departure of Amy and Rory.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

1. Tom Baker - Baker is MY Doctor.
    2. Patrick Troughton - It's a crying shame so many of his episodes are still missing.
    3. Matt Smith - The perfect blend of my top two favorites.
    4. Paul McGann - If you haven't listened to McGann's Big Finish audio plays, you must.
    5. Sylvester McCoy - I grew up on McCoy and Baker and it says a lot about Troughton, Smith, and McGann that they're ranked higher.
    6. Colin Baker - Like McGann, you must listen to Baker's audio plays which are much better than his original run.
    7. Peter Davison - How can you not love Davison? He's charming, funny, and his companions include Tegan, Nyssa and Turlough.
    8. David Tennant - The only thing that keeps Tennant from being absolutely fantastic is the fact that he tends to overdo his manic and moody moments.
    9. Christopher Eccleston - If Eccleston had done even one more season, he might have been the greatest. Well, maybe not greater than Tom or Pat.
    10. William Hartnell. - The man who started it all and yet still remains the most different incarnation.
    11. Jon Pertwee - Don't get me wrong, I love Pertwee, but I just love everyone else more.

11. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

From favourite to least:

Sylvester McCoy
    Christopher Eccleston
    Tom Baker
    Patrick Troughton
    William Hartnell
    Peter Davison
    Jon Pertwee
    Paul McGann
    David Tennant
    Matt Smith
    Colin Baker

12. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Favorite Doctors
    Eccelston
    Hartnell
    Troughton \ T. Baker

Everyone else

Favorite Era
    Hartnell \ T. Baker
    Eccelston \ Troughton

The rest

13. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Favourite Doctors:
    1) 10th
    2) 8th
    3) 9th
    4) 6th
    5) 2nd
    6) 5th
    7) 11th
    8) 4th
    9) 7th
    10) 3rd
    11) 1st

Favourite series style:
    1) 8th
    2) 9th
    3) 10th
    4) 6th
    5) 5th and late 4th
    6) 2nd
    7) 7th
    8) 1970s 4th
    9) 11th
    10) 3rd
    11) 1st

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to rank all of them but I'd say my favorite Doctor is Davison while my favorite era is McCoy's.

15. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

1. David Tennant

The Era where you realise that Doctor Who fans are no different to those annoying fans of a rock band who loved them when they were underground then cry "Sellout" the second the achieve mainstream popularity.
    Tennant's era is classic who gone popular. All the ingredients are there, but hell, of all the eras it also seems the most FUN.
    As a viewer sometimes I wonder WHY the companions stick around with this man, particularly if he's going to be crabby at you (1st Doctor) or condescending and patronising to you (3rd Doctor) but at least Ten made the whole intergalactic adventure into something seemingly to be enjoyed, not feared.

9th Doctor

4th Doctor

5th Doctor

11th Doctor

2nd Doctor

6th Doctor

8th Doctor

3rd Doctor

1st Doctor

And worst of all: 7th Doctor.
    The show should've ended before it got to this.
    Everything from its insipid theme to its am-dram acting actually does more harm to the franchise than good.
    Do. Not. Want.

16. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

From what i have seen. The doctors I really liked.

1. T. Baker/Smith
    2. Trouton
    3. Pertwee
    4. Tennant
    5. Eccelson
    6. Hartnell (I can really see how the doctor evolved from his frist rein)
    7. Davidson (can't stand tegan (does she ever stop whining) and adric)
    8. C baker/ Mccoy ( I have probably only seen one or two from each so I can't really say I dislike them or not)

I sort of rated that on how much I enjoyed the epsodes and the companions. I can't say I hated any of them. I do hope to watch more of the episodes on the internet or as the library buys them. OH I haven't see the movie so I can't say if I like him or not. (though he is very handsome).

17. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Except the distinctive mood, pace, and even much of the Doctor's characterisation (they even made a plot point of the huge change).
    Whether you find Ten's companions' tragic endings relevant to this or not, the fear was always a major ingredient of the enjoyment.
    Even the unusually inspired storylines with tight writing, and the occasional exceptionally good visual?

18. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me it's early Tom Baker.

19. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

my list would be something like this

1.Tom Baker.
    2.David Tennant
    3.Jon Pertwee
    4.Matt Smith.
    5.Peter Davison
    6.William Hartnell.
    7.Patrick Troughton
    8.Sylvester McCoy
    9.Colin Baker
    10.Chris Eccleston
    11.Paul McGann.

20. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher Eccleston is my favorite. He had me way back at 'Rose' when he pulled out the vial of "Anti-plastic!" A close second is Matt Smith as I feel he's done an impressive job of giving the role a real sense of age and depth despite his years. Tennant rounds out the three with a performance that hasn't aged well to my eyes.

Then there's the rest, which I find totally unwatchable.