Which writers/directors would you have picked for ALIEN(S) sequels?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aquehonga, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Re: Which writers/directors would you have picked for ALIEN(S) sequels

We don't need to forget AvP, I mean none of them were in the future so we can just tell new stuff in the future without referencing AvP.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

They picked very good directors for all 3 sequels, unfortunately Cameron was the only one who truly delivered on the potential. But I think perhaps the studio was to blame for the creative failure of the other 2. Certainly Fincher's movie.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Ridley Scott did a great job with his flick and brought out its' full potential. As for A3 and Fincher, the studio interfered a lot but Fincher still managed to make a good movie (yes yes, Newt and Hicks died. But the Producers planned to kill them off as early as 1988). A3 did make the second most money of all the films (internationally).

Aliens was good for an 80s action film, but I started to like it less when I found out Cameron basically plagiarized a 50s flick called "Them!" to make it. It was the Harlan Ellison thing all over again...

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Jeunet was forced to cut entire set pieces because there wasn't enough money allocated in the budget. I'd say that's a studio problem.

Plus there's Joss Whedon's script, which, as is usual for his style, depends a lot on dialogue. Jeunet was just learning English at the time, so its no surprise he couldn't realize that facet of the script (visually, the film looks amazing). On the other hand, Whedon's script has problems anyway, so I'm not sure a director with a better hand on the language could have done better.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, RES was basically Whedon's prototype for Firefly. Right?